The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Which firewire converter
Old 18th May 2006
Here for the gear

Which firewire converter

Ahh the age old question.

Hiya, im looking for a new converter...had a Firepod but really I don't need that many inputs and want something of better quality...4 will do could live with 2 inputs but would like the option to daisy chain if the need arises. Ive got a G5, Logic, a TL Audio 5051, Waves/KORG/Timespace plugins and some Dyna Audio BM5a to give you rough idea about the rest of my stuff.

I was thinking about the RME Fireface, just thinking it might be best to wait till the apogee ensemble comes out to hear comparisons...also the Fireface has been around a while...would be my luck to buy it an the new model come out the week after...anyone know if a new model is around the corner?

Any thoughts or advice or other options I should consider?

Cheers
Old 18th May 2006
mds
Lives for gear

Got a Mac and 2 grand? Hold out for the ensemble. Have a PC and/or 1 grand? Fireface...pretty simple these days. :D

Mike
Old 18th May 2006
Lives for gear

how much you wanna spend?

that will determine a LOT
Old 18th May 2006
Here for the gear

Which firewire converter

I can afford either the Fireface or the Ensemble, there both $3500NZD here (well when the ensemble finally ships).
Anyone actually heard the Ensemble?

Now no one get mad but that thing looks like Apogees attempt to cash in on the consumer market...like how it matches a G5 tower, clearly no accident.
Old 18th May 2006
mds
Lives for gear

They're definitely trying to get in with Apple. The Logic integration stuff is evidence of that for sure.

I don't think many people have heard the Ensemble, but generally speaking I think most would consider Apogee superior to RME. Many would also say RME is good enough for professional applications. Personally I'd hold out for the Ensemble as I'd put my money on it being the better piece.

Mike

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search