The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Using the Allen&Heath Mix Wizard for faders with Fulcrom and other preamp for make up
Old 18th May 2006
Lives for gear

Using mixer for faders and then summing to Folcrom with preamp... who works this way?

Hey folks,

I have a question for those who kinda are in the same situation as me. I'm new the the summing thing but was very curious and decided to get a Fulcrom.

The only thing I dislike is the fact that there are no faders, and if I insert a comp or eq it would be post fader processing which is not my style.

I was looking at the A&H mix wizard 16:2 to use for it's faders only... line in and then direct out to the Fulcrom then to another pre for the make up gain.

So... does anyone work like this? How is it? Do you notice any problems by running the signal through a channel strip then out to the summing box?

Thanks

Jason
Old 18th May 2006
Lives for gear

Don't know but i wonder since i'm kind of in the same boat..

I would guess you get better or even results with summing within the Allen & Heath with something good on the stereo buss, like Portico tape emu or compression, or whatever you like.

let me explain...
A reason not to mix on a live desk like A&H is probably the slightly higher noise level right?
If you take multiple channels out of the A&H and sum it in a folcrom you would have a certain db drop and need to reamp it.
Now if this slightly higher noise is up in those channels you're gonna amplify that now too..

I guess this wouldn't be all that bad but i think the best way to connect to a focrom would be direct from your converters.

my 2cents

I do think A&H makes nice mixers by the way.
Old 19th May 2006
Gear Guru

i have a console with a sweet summing bus but i still feed each channel's direct out to a nicerizer for summing because it's even sweeter. i have to have an analog fader and eq for the critical elements in a mix.

the only problem i get by running each sound thru a channel strip is that it sounds better, which means i want to do it for every sound, but i don't have enough channels on the desk .

life is tough.

gregoire
del ubik
Old 19th May 2006
Lives for gear

Hey sounds like a cool idea! Use the direct outs from the A&H in to the Folcrom -> Preamp / Comp / Limiter/ EQ/ etc -> AD -> Love

I think the EQ on the A&H is pretty good. Sounds like a winning concept!
Old 19th May 2006
Lives for gear

I was just reading my own reply about this and all of a sudden it doesn't make that much sense heh
But well now i'm getting really curious of course!

I have this Soundcraft fx 16 mixer of wich i like the eq, so if i connect the direct outs to a Folcrom and good pre would this be a major upgrade as far as summing concerns?
Old 19th May 2006
Lives for gear

my only concern is the extra noise level in the signal path.

with headphones, when you bring up the fader, you'll notice an increase in noise.

I don't know about this...

Anyone working like this?

Jason
Old 19th May 2006
Gear Guru

I see a whole new market.

Individual channelstrips.

I can buy 4 Neve strips, 4 API strips, 4 SSL Strips etc.

Watcha think?
Old 19th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Poulin
my only concern is the extra noise level in the signal path.
with headphones, when you bring up the fader, you'll notice an increase in noise.

Jason
Man don't be to concerned about a the noise - If you come out from the direct outs you will be fine as a bird. The noise will glue and verbalizer the ride into a bold decision MC Hammer style!

Don't be a nerd when it comes to noise - it's funky! Concentrate on the vibe!

You rock Canadian master! Save for a mustache and don't wait for the sunshine.
Old 20th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dim light
Man don't be to concerned about a the noise - If you come out from the direct outs you will be fine as a bird. The noise will glue and verbalizer the ride into a bold decision MC Hammer style!

Don't be a nerd when it comes to noise - it's funky! Concentrate on the vibe!

lol

thanks man

Jason
Old 28th June 2006
Lives for gear
so, any luck here?
Old 28th June 2006
Jai guru deva om

Quote:
Originally Posted by dim light
Dim Light, you gotta get CocaKurtCola here.

War
Old 21st July 2006
Lives for gear
Jason, I've come across the same problem and was wondering what you went with in the end? I've been thinking about picking up some Penny and Giles faders and building my own system but someone here on GS said there's too much signal loss with a passive fader. If I have a Folcrom and a preamp following the fader for MG, is signal loss even an issue?
Old 22nd July 2006
Gear Maniac

I think the idea of using the Allen and Heath with direct outs is a good idea. Using passive potentiometers, as another poster suggested, will work, but I think an actively buffered fader (eg AH) is ultimately the better route. Id set the AH line trims at unity and bypass the AH EQ whenever possible. Also bypass any unused channels on the AH if it has that ability.

The Folcrom can be used in a lot of different ways, many of which are just be implemented for the first time. Experimentation is good

Jon Erickson

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search