The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
-10 or +4, Whats it to Me?
Old 2nd November 2008
Lives for gear

Oh, I wouldn't go as far as irrelevant, just, "excessively educational".
Old 2nd November 2008
Vum
Lives for gear

Call me a freak but this is one of my favorite threads. I agree about keeping the science references correct as it eliminates any sort of murkiness. A few years ago a client of mine asked me to do some sound control in his studio.

He gave me a list of measurements that were pertinent and some suggestions of size for bass traps, windows etc.

How surprised he was when we realized he'd measured in metric and not labeled it as such. An expensive mistake to commit.
Old 5th November 2008
Lives for gear

I didn't mean to sound preachy in my earlier post... just love to encourage newcomers to audio to learn as much as possible...

There's a great book I highly recommend to anyone serious about learning audio engineering. It covers everything from basic interconnections to the math&physics behind concepts like the +4/-10 question that started this topic... Audio Systems Design & Installation by Philip Giddings

Its a pretty expensive textbook, but it covers a vast amount of audio technology - even stuff like electrical grounding in studios, HVAC in studios, etc.
Its one of my reference bibles...

Again, REALLY pricey ($100+ probably) so see if you can check it out at a library first ! (Keep in mind too that this is a textbook, not a basic home-studio-recording-techniques book.... it covers the engineering side of things, and not recording/production techniques)
Old 5th November 2008
Lives for gear

" Music Physics and Engineering" is a paperback book that is mostly engineering, physics and is cram packed with info. Very difficult read at points because of the data packed into it, but, it is like a reference manual for the whole shmear. It doesn't teach about the latest gadget but it does go through banging two rocks together to beyond Nyquist theorem.
Old 5th November 2008
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by jproc View Post
I didn't mean to sound preachy in my earlier post... just love to encourage newcomers to audio to learn as much as possible...

There's a great book I highly recommend to anyone serious about learning audio engineering. It covers everything from basic interconnections to the math&physics behind concepts like the +4/-10 question that started this topic... Audio Systems Design & Installation by Philip Giddings

Its a pretty expensive textbook, but it covers a vast amount of audio technology - even stuff like electrical grounding in studios, HVAC in studios, etc.
Its one of my reference bibles...

Again, REALLY pricey ($100+ probably) so see if you can check it out at a library first ! (Keep in mind too that this is a textbook, not a basic home-studio-recording-techniques book.... it covers the engineering side of things, and not recording/production techniques)

Looks more like $300 - used only - on Amazon

too bad, good reference books are always an asset.

Z.
Old 6th November 2008
Lives for gear

Music Physics, and Engineering (formerly titled Musical Engineering) Harry F. Olson, has all the formulae in it also for every audio-centric calculation from Son to db and everything else. I think it was $8 or so.
Keep looking, there is even socialized medicine in the US if you look into it.
Old 25th February 2020
Lives for gear

Bump from the future.

I'm looking at the manual myself, and want to do the +4dbu mod, but the OP said elsewhere that the manual misidentifies the correct circuit numbers. The manual states R130 and R131. On another forum I read that someone eventually had no sound coming from the board at all, but fixed it when he realized what happened (probably cut the wrong thing due to the manual). When I do this I hope I do it right...

On top of this mod I would also like to do the power supply mod but I'm not sure how difficult that is.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search