The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Looking for a Drum Machine like this.
Old 17th May 2006
Gear Addict

Looking for a Drum Machine like this.

Hi,

I am loooking for a little drum machine/percussion machine to use during jam sessions with a 4 piece acoustic band. We're doing stuff that needs a shuffely snare with brushes thrughout and then other percussion stuff mixed in at different points - such as a conga on a chorus, a shaker on a bridge, etc. etc.

Can you recommend a machine that will do several things at once? I am not a big programming type of person and would like to find a machine that would let me program parts by song charts kind of way - in other words look at a chart and see that the intro is 8 bars and I want brushed snare and shaker for that 8 bars so I just program that way. Then the verse is 16 bars and I just want brushed snare and hi hat so I punch that into the machine etc. etc.?

Anything close to this out there. Also with manual feel control so I can program the feel or swing in as well by tapping on the pads?

Thanks,

Woods
Old 17th May 2006
Lives for gear

If your looking for a standalone hardware machine the Roland r8 is great
it supports step and real time patterns. The built in sounds are not great but the editing is really nice. It is one of the only drum machine with a scope editor which is essential for fills.

But these days nothing beats a sequencer like nuendo w/bfd or even Acid has decent midi now
Old 17th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Hi Woods,

Roland R8 is indeed a good/easy machine - and if i remember well, has a special "Jazz" memory card with good brush sounds. You should easily find a cheap 2nd hand R8 on ebay.
Old 17th May 2006
Gear Addict

Any drum machines that can be programmed at least initially via genre description ? For example: groove 1 is "western Swing 4/4" Groove 2 is Waltz Shuffle in 2/3. etc. Groove 3 is 5/4 two step etc.
Old 18th May 2006
Lives for gear

IMO a four piece acoustic band with a drum machine is asking for problems. Why not get a drummer/percussionist? No need for the whole kit - just snare and a few toys.

A sampled brushed snare is usually a big fat disappointment - unless you just want brush hits. That whole circular, rythmic brushing sound is totally tempo and feel specific - you can't really sequence it up and fool anyone.

If you don't want to share the profits with a fifth member - how about get a session player into a studio and record some backing tracks, and then take your iPod on the road.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search