The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
tiny guitar top for recording
Old 17th May 2006
Gear Head

tiny guitar top for recording

I want to buy a little tube-head (max 15W) for recording. Has anyone made good experience with some product? It could also be a combo...
For me the orange tiny terror sounds interesting!
It should have nice crunch sounds....
Old 17th May 2006
Old 17th May 2006
Old 17th May 2006
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaneldon

"Excellent for Recording, Bedroom or Prison Use" heh
Old 17th May 2006
Lives for gear

or if you don't want to DIY it, guytronix' main deal is this other company. here's their 15 watter.

http://www.gerhartamps.com/Sunset/Sunset.htm
Old 18th May 2006
Gear Maniac

The zvex nano head is very cool, I've used it on a couple sessions.
Old 18th May 2006
Lives for gear

true about nano... i can sell you mine or excange it for studio gear ...pm me if interested...
Old 18th May 2006
Gear Addict

the THD and Bad Cat low wattage heads are amazing. i have a flexi-50 that can run at 20w and a black cat that can run at 15.
Old 18th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Has anyone made good experience with some product?
Supro, Fender ...old ones.
Old 18th May 2006
Gear Addict

I own the Emery Sound Superbaby, it's awesome. The interchangeable tubes make it possible to sound like a myriad of other amps.

to repeat the link...
www.emerysound.com
Old 18th May 2006
Gear Head

has anyone tried the hughes & kettner edition tube?
Old 18th May 2006
T9c
Gear Maniac

...and the Valve Jr. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...ead?sku=482069

Haven't actualy heard one yet, but it's getting great reviews.
Old 19th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassoon
has anyone tried the hughes & kettner edition tube?
Nope, but I was about to recommend the old H&K Bluesmaster, or Crunchmaster. Cream Machine might also work, but I don't have one so....
Old 19th May 2006
Gear Addict

i used to have an edition tube, it wasnt very good, it sounded muddy and wasnt very versatile, it was basically clean or realy distorted... plus it had to go back for repairs 4 times in 8 months... pretty bad experience all round!

ive now got a little 50watt engle head that is just awesome, best head ive had next to my old orange ad30
Old 19th May 2006

well its not tube but the new crate powerblock is pretty cool - ignore the logo and listen - its pretty cool man!
Old 19th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by T9c
...and the Valve Jr. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...ead?sku=482069

Haven't actualy heard one yet, but it's getting great reviews.

I bought the head version of this amp for my brother for his birthday. It's now on my list too. A couple of things off the top of my head:

-It seems to get its versatility from what you're plugging into it. Obviously, there aren't a ton of tonal controls on the amp, it's extremely straight forward... but if you hit it with hot pickups, it breaks up nicely. If you dime it, it's a beautiful distortion... and on a 4x12 cab, you can be in the same room with it and it won't tear your head off, but the neighbors won't like you if you play it at home in the middle of the night.
Put a hollowbody or a tele into it, and you can pull out some sweet blues tones. Roll back the volume and it gets really jazzy, put a big muff or rat or something in front of it and it will slam.
It's no thd or anything, not exactly boutique... but it's probably the best piece of gear you can get for $100.
Old 19th May 2006
Lives for gear

The 12 watt Brenda K by Jule Amps is the bomb!!! http://www.juleamps.com/ Its not on the web site but they make a head version as well as the combo. I dig the head version so I can swap out cabs easier.
Old 26th June 2006
Gear Head

I've got 5 watt Top Hat for sale over in the classifieds that I've used on a number of records.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/gearslutz-secondhand-gear-classifieds/75731-top-hat-portly-cadet-guitar-amp.html
Old 26th June 2006
Gear Nut

I got a great price on one of these off Ebay
http://www.groovetubes.com/product.cfm?Product_ID=1661

It has a big ol' output tranny so it has mucho low end for a small amp. Records great and versatile.
Old 26th June 2006
Lives for gear

Yeah that lil' Epiphone looks sooo fun. I'm totally getting one when I order the new Gibson SG Jr. P-90 that's just been reissued. $600 - I'm jumping on it.
Old 26th June 2006
Lives for gear

Here's a few I have that's around 15w or less:
Emery Spotlight
Epi Valve Jr.
Reeves Custom 6
Top Hat Vibra-Trem
Supro champ
And I used to have a Roccaforte Custom 18.
They each have their own sound and all sound great. The Epi did need a few minor mods to get there. The Rocca 18 had the most crunch and covered nearly every 70's rock guitar sound. The Top hat does a great vox or bluesbreaker sound, depending on the speaker used. The Emery can go one of two directions, early Marshall tone or champ, again depending on speakers and tubes. The Supro sounds like a Fender champ with a little extra bite. The Epi is pretty cool and doesn't really sound like any classic amps. It has a nice compressed el-84 tone and it's not real bright.
Old 25th January 2007
Gear Head

If you can afford it, the Tiny Terror is an amazing amp.

Any equalization should be done post amp unless the one tone knob is enough.

The head is the size of the Kleenex box and sounds great through a 4x12, I'll be getting the 1x12 eventually as it's good orange Vintage 30 cab and less sound bouncing around the studio than a 4x12. Good luck.

Also, why aren't the Guytronix transformers out of phase on the site????
Old 25th January 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Student View Post
If you can afford it, the Tiny Terror is an amazing amp.

Any equalization should be done post amp unless the one tone knob is enough.

The head is the size of the Kleenex box and sounds great through a 4x12, I'll be getting the 1x12 eventually as it's good orange Vintage 30 cab and less sound bouncing around the studio than a 4x12. Good luck.

Also, why aren't the Guytronix transformers out of phase on the site????
everyone i know who owns a tiny terror loves it. i have heard some clips, but i haven't messed with it or heard it in person. the clips sounded great.
Old 25th January 2007
Lives for gear

cornford harlequin
Old 25th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattasbob View Post
The zvex nano head is very cool, I've used it on a couple sessions.
those zvex clips sound amazin!
Old 25th January 2007
Here for the gear

another vote for the tiny terror here
Old 25th January 2007
Lives for gear
Yeah, the Tiny Terror is great - I can also recommend the 1w Bumbox Lead-1 - will give you some cool Marshall stack tones at very low volume.

- Chris
Old 25th January 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisNY View Post
Yeah that lil' Epiphone looks sooo fun. I'm totally getting one when I order the new Gibson SG Jr. P-90 that's just been reissued. $600 - I'm jumping on it.
save your money and get an agile!
Old 25th January 2007
Lives for gear

IMO, the Tiny Terror is great at hi gain sounds, but it sucks for anything moderately clean. Doesn't sound great with pedals in front of it.

I love the Z-Vex Nano. Very versatile for the size and controls it has, also sounds GREAT with pedals on the front end.

I really like the Epi Valve Junior head too. It is quite dark sounding, which I like because it is more useful with single coil guitars. Like the Nano, it also responds well to pedals (my Lovetone Big Cheese sounds fantastic through both!).

My vote would be the Nano.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search