The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Black Lion Audio Is Disappointing Me
Old 17th May 2006
Gear Addict

Black Lion Audio

(NOTE: I changed the title of this thread becasue my problem has been solved by Matt at Black Lion Audio. The thread remains as it was from the beginning. M)

Black lion audio has had my ART VLA for over SIX MONTHS. I sent it in for mods and even sent another 75 dollars or so for output transformers.

A couple of times in the last couple of months I have had to borrow two channels of comp to finish projects with.

The owner of Black Lion, Matt, does seem to answer my emails, but he just tells me how busy he is and how behind he is, as if that makes it all better somehow.

I tried being nice for six months, then I tried scolding him a little.....all to no avail.

So now I'm gonna drag him out here "in the street" and see how he reacts.

I want my VLA back, I want it done right and done neatly, and I want it soon, like within days.

NO more excuses.

My next step will be calling the BBB I suppose. I don't want to have to do all that.....I JUST WANT WHAT I WAS PROMISED BACK IN 2005.

I don't know if Matt is doing everyone this way or if it's just me because mine is a "special project" ....but you might want to check before you send anything in to him.

M

Last edited by MasterTrax; 19th June 2006 at 03:25 PM.. Reason: Gratuitous titty-shots
Old 17th May 2006
Gear Addict

Bump....sorry, mods. I know you'll probably move this thread to the Moan Dungeon but I want it to be seen first.

So go have a cup of coffee before you relegate my little rant to Slut Hell, ok?

M
Old 17th May 2006
Gear Maniac

I've had nothing but excellent experiences with the BLA crew... I'm sure they have a good reason.

Maybe it's stuck in customs?
Old 17th May 2006
Gear Addict

Hi, thanks for the reply.

Two reasons I know it is not stuck in Customs:

1) He says he hasn't finished it yet

2) He's in Chicago and I'm in Texas....if it goes through customs then we really have a problem
Old 17th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Last I read on the site it said they aren't doing the VLA mod yet because they don't have the cinemag transformers in. Of course, if that's still the reason, why not just say that.
Old 17th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Yep, I'm in the same boat waiting for my SM Pro 8 preamp. Matt doesn't answer my calls or even call me back. I know he is swamped, but how could it possibly take this long?

Ken
Old 17th May 2006
While you're at the Better Business Bureau website, could you please file a complaint against those jag-offs at Tiger Direct. They're jerking me around bigtime on a rebate I prepared with rabbinical precision and they rejected for a completely bogus reason. (They said the copy of the invoice I sent in was only an order confirmation -- but THEY sent it to me from a "Send me a copy of this invoice" link and it says at the top of hte damn thing that it's a copy of the invoice.) Evil fonks. Never again.

Good luck with your problem!
Old 17th May 2006
Lives for gear
Hummm.....this is unfortunate. I like Matt. ( don't know him personally, only thru modding gear for me.) I think at this time, BLA should consider stopping work on the current projects and take care of all the backed up orders before this situation gets further out of hand! I hate to see a resource for we " Low-Enders"..heh .. get a bad reputation and lose a valuable usefulness! I have gear at Matt's also thats been there a while. But..it was something I wasn't really using at the time, so it hasn't been so bad for me. But I understand all of you that need your gear to record!.. ..Maybe Matt will get things caught up and back on track soon...!
Old 17th May 2006
Gear Addict

Thanks for the replies, guys.

About the Cinemag transformers: according to my last emaill from Matt, they were in his hands on or before May1.

It doesn't take six months to get transformers anyway.

By the way, my VLA is the guinea pig for the new VLA mods.....if the project ever comes to fruition

M
Old 17th May 2006
Lives for gear

Matt was excellent to deal with when he modded my 828. I hope all is well there.
Old 17th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterTrax
Bump....sorry, mods. I know you'll probably move this thread to the Moan Dungeon but I want it to be seen first.

So go have a cup of coffee before you relegate my little rant to Slut Hell, ok?

M
So I take it this thread is your attempt at trying to punish him by hurting his business and blackmailing him into action? If I were him I'd send your **** back and tell you to find someone else to do it.
Old 17th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by De chromium cob
So I take it this thread is your attempt at trying to punish him by hurting his business and blackmailing him into action? If I were him I'd send your **** back and tell you to find someone else to do it.
I'm not exactly sure if that's the case here, De chromium. At least it's not how I've taken it.

Both MasterTrax and kenm seem to be a little peeved at not having their calls or emails answered. Send their **** back for what? For asking what is going on with their gear/order? I don't think its these guys that are "hurting his business" if their stories are true.

If anything, it's good to hear a little feedback in cases like these. Bad experiences are just as welcomed as good ones to me.
Old 17th May 2006
Gear Addict

What would you do, Chromium Cob? Just let him keep your "****" until it fossilizes?

I hafta admit, I didn't think of that.

M
Old 17th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Perhaps it's a good job you are not him, 'cos with an attitude loke yours you sure as hell would be outta business pretty soon anyways, jeez give the guy a break - he just wants some feedback - I mean have you heard about customer service? Oh I forget your in favour of customer 'dis-service'.
Old 18th May 2006
Lives for gear

But as a guinea pig, do you get to complain that the experiment is taking too long? I mean it is an experiment.

If you no longer wish to participate because he's too slow, I understand. Ask for your unit back restored to it's original okay-ness. If you want him to "hurry up" I don't get it...

If you'd just like some feedback I'd say you were entitled to that.

Six months is a long time but you really shouldn't experiment with devices you need to make your bones...only "play" devices.

good luck.
Old 18th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by noiseflaw
Perhaps it's a good job you are not him, 'cos with an attitude loke yours you sure as hell would be outta business pretty soon anyways, jeez give the guy a break - he just wants some feedback - I mean have you heard about customer service? Oh I forget your in favour of customer 'dis-service'.
No, he's posted in about three separate threads bashing Black Lion Audio. I could see starting ONE asking if anyone has Matts phone number because he's trying to get in touch with him....that's reasonable.

You seem to be in favor of taking this guys word and convicting Matt without hearing the whole story.

How many techs have you dealt with? The ones I've dealt with are brilliant people that do fantastic work...sometimes at a snails pace, but customer relations and returning calls is not the forte' of any of the ones I know.

You have two options- learn to do it yourself through years of electronic engineering classes or find someone else that's likely to be just as busy and just as much of a pain to deal with if they're any good.

Trying to threaten him and hurt his business isn't an acceptable option IMO and I don't think Matt deserves it from what I've read.
Old 18th May 2006
Gear Addict

I think the Black Lion crew are just really, really busy at the moment.

I had my traveller there, and the customer service was outstanding. Matt is a really genuinely helpful and friendly guy... he's just a bit snowed under.

Have you called him? or just emailed.

I think if you call and talk it through with him, he'll be more than helpful. The guy probably gets 100 emails a day, so it wouldn't be the best way to get his attention.

If you've posted this thread without calling him and talking it through in person, then that's pretty harsh. It's just a small family business by a guy who's passionate about gear. It's not like he has a customer service department.

In any case, they seem to have a great thing going... so it'll be worth the wait.

Rez
Old 18th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Another thumbs up positive vote for Matt and BLA - they have been outstanding in every aspect of my dealings with them and my 828 mod sounds great.
Old 18th May 2006
Gear Addict

I have never participated in any "Black Lion Bashing" thread of any kind. Perhaps the Chromium on your Cob obscured the poster's name or caused you to grossly misread a post of mine. tutt

I have what appears to me to be a legitimate complaint, and here I am, so agree with me or not, please support my cause by posting in my little thread.

I don't rely on my recording studio for income. That, however, does not diminish the importance of my work (and the machines which facilitate it) to me, nor does it mean that I should not provide a heads-up to others here who may be considering sending their "****" in at this time.

Thanks for the replies, folks. It's like being in a Hallmark commercial.

M
Old 18th May 2006
Gear Maniac

My experience with Black Lion Audio was fantastic and seemless...

I gotta drop another props to Matt and the fine folks at Black Lion. Nothing but great skills, advice, killer work, attention to detail, communication...a truly unique, pro audio "couture" service really unlike anything currently out there, and growing, VERY fast...which is great, but yeah, they're totally swamped.

But from what I've been told, they are expanding operations to meet demand so as to make it all run smoother. The expansion is already underway...you may get your VLA back sooner than you think.?

And FWIW, I bet when you get it back it's going to sound leagues above stock...you'll be stoked then!!
Old 18th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Trying to threaten him and hurt his business isn't an acceptable option IMO and I don't think Matt deserves it from what I've read.
Uhhh...this is part of running a business in a free country like the USA. BLA is a business right? Matt makes money modifying audio gear, right?

I am sure he gets loads of business and positive press from Gearslutz. But when you have a business and your customer service fails (as it does with ALL businesses at certian points, usually when there are rapid periods of growth) the customer has the RIGHT, and the DUTY to voice thier concerns with other customers and potential customers.

What good businesses do is make the necessary changes to their business (like add more emplyees, so they are not so burried; or raise prices, so that fewer people buy; or change their policies, so that their customers don't expect their gear back in less than 6 months).

Bad business don't listen to their customers, don't make the necessary changes, and go out of business.

Isn't capitalism GREAT!
Old 18th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by commaKaze
My experience with Black Lion Audio was fantastic and seemless...

I gotta drop another props to Matt and the fine folks at Black Lion. Nothing but great skills, advice, killer work, attention to detail, communication...a truly unique, pro audio "couture" service really unlike anything currently out there, and growing, VERY fast...which is great, but yeah, they're totally swamped.

But from what I've been told, they are expanding operations to meet demand so as to make it all run smoother. The expansion is already underway...you may get your VLA back sooner than you think.?

And FWIW, I bet when you get it back it's going to sound leagues above stock...you'll be stoked then!!
I agree with you here. Matt does excellent work. But as you say it's a growing a business for him right now and he is probably doing everythign he can to keep up. 6 months is a long time! I hope it works out for you in the end and I'm sure Matt will make it up to you. Hopefully he will be able to chime in here and get your VLA back to you after all that's been said and done.
Old 18th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitherto
Uhhh...
FYI, you don't have to type that part.
But do tell me more about this thing called capitalism...It really is fascinating!
Old 18th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
FYI, you don't have to type that part.
But do tell me more about this thing called capitalism...It really is fascinating!
True dat...just breakin' some balls...
Old 18th May 2006
The last one of those VLA's only took a week to do here. Sometimes material shortages occur, but if they do an explanation is due. To not reply is not right.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Old 2nd June 2006
Gear Maniac

Hey Mastertrax any news from Black Lion Audio yet?

I am also waiting on them and have not received any replies to my emails for a month. They were supposed to send me a new output board for my 828mk2 and some missing parts from a 3630 kit. Are they still in business? Up until this point I tought that the customer service was pretty good.
Old 6th June 2006
Gear Addict

Hey monsterz, funny you should ask. I just hopped in here to report that Matt at Black Lion Audio has come through 100% in the form of full refunds for my transformers plus he bought my VLA and has already paid me for it too.

I want to make two things clear:

1) I never held a personal grudge of any kind against Matt or Black Lion, I just needed for him to hurry up and do the right thing....it's true, he is growing fast and I was one of his growing pains. It's over, and I am quite satisfied with the outcome, although I would love to have the hot-rodded VLA most of all, and....

2) Chromium Cob, I wouldn't pick a flame-war with Hitherto if I were you. You do not appear to be in his league, sport.

M
Old 6th June 2006
Gear Maniac

Hey Mastertrax
Thats good news. I guess I should give them a little more time, it would be great to get a response to my emails though.
Old 6th June 2006
Lives for gear

thumbsup

See!....now everyone's happy.

Thanks, M.

Edit: 'cept for Brad.
Old 7th June 2006
Lives for gear

My buddy and I are still waiting about 7 months on an SM8Pro that has been fully paid for... So I wouldn't say that everyone is happy yet.

Brad

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search