The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Revolver in this month's Guitar World
Old 17th May 2006
Gear Addict

Revolver in this month's Guitar World

It takes a lot for me to pick up one of the guitar mags out there -- I used to pick up at least three a month for years. So you could say I hit a saturation point. But this month's Guitar World has a couple articles about the making of Revolver.

One is an excerpt of Geoff Emmerich's book about "Paperback Writer"... another details his involvement with Revolver, track by track.

Had to break out the album and listen while I read. Lotta great info, from mikes to compressors to cutting up the tape and throwing it in the air. Love how he close-miked Ringo's kit and ran it through a compressor (Fairchild 660), and Ringo's reaction. He actually got hauled on the carpet by EMI brass for putting mikes closer than 18 inches to the instruments, but the Beatles went with him to the meeting and defended him.

Great stuff!

P
Old 17th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by retropete
cutting up the tape and throwing it in the air.
Am I the only one who thinks that this description is a little over-dramatic? The edited track sounds more like they listened to stuff and made the edits in a little less "random" fashion.
Old 17th May 2006
Gear Addict

Ironically, after they tossed the snippets of the marching band up in the air the result was too much like the original, so they manually edited it to be more random.

;-)
Old 31st May 2006
Lou Judson
Can someone let me know if that article shows up online? I just read Geoff Emerick's "Here, There and Everywhere" and would love to compare...

<L>
Old 31st May 2006
Lives for gear

far and away the most amazing thing about the revolver production......is the pre production. aka song writing and rehersal.

the sound tricks are fun...but would be less than nothing without the amazing tunes. just dug that one out of the pile after a while. what great tunes.
Old 31st May 2006
Lives for gear

Yes, no doubt. Recently heard some bootlegs with John sketching out some of the tunes, one was called "He Said, He Said" at the time. You could hear him going over a lot of changes and styles, many of them quite mundane. At the beginning it was really not much more than a sort of mildly boring noodling, like anyone goofing off at a guitar...but he did seem rather dogged about trying out different things and sticking with it.

It would seem that he kept working at it till it became....err....acceptable.

📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear