The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Pedal to set tempo for boss rc-2 loop pedal
Old 14th March 2012
Here for the gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Set exact tempo for Boss RC-2 loop pedal

Hello,
Long time visitor, first post.

I am trying to sync my Boss RC-2 loop pedal to my DAW. It's really impossible with tap tempo, so I'm trying to find a way to manually set the exact tempo value with a separate pedal of some sort. (eg: dial in 120BPM somehow)

Does anyone know of such a thing?

Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm thinking that an external tap tempo pedal is basically an on off switch so it shouldn't be too difficult to send exact on/off intervals to the loop pedal with a custom circuit somehow.

Thanks
Old 15th March 2012
Here for the gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Bump!
Can I make this myself, a little timer circuit that sends out voltage to the rc-2?
Maybe I'm in the wrong forum...
Old 15th March 2012

1 Review written
๐ŸŽง 10 years
Interesting problem. You might need a better looper with actual midi clock sync function - i'm not even sure if the RC50 can really do that properly - the manual i read wasn't clear, but implied it could.

Your tap tempo pedal is just a switch. You could use a relay, and trigger it with an audio amp. You could create a track in your daw with, for example, some snare hits on the snapped to the grid. Send these out a spare output and trigger your relay with those.

You can buy kitsets for audio activated relays.
Old 15th March 2012
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirmass View Post
I am trying to sync my Boss RC-2 loop pedal to my DAW. It's really impossible with tap tempo, so I'm trying to find a way to manually set the exact tempo value with a separate pedal of some sort. (eg: dial in 120BPM somehow)
Unfortunately, I don't really have a direct answer for you, but I am curious to know exactly you're trying to do... If you're trying to loop something, why not simply do what you need to do in the DAW and bypass the looper all together?

Just wondering if there's maybe a more appropriate and/or useful workaround for your problem!

Cheers,
Andrew
Old 16th March 2012
Here for the gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
@kiwi
I had a look at the RC-50 and it seems you can dial the tempo, though I would prefer to save a bit of money and use my RC-2 with some investment.

I think that audio activated relay along with a click track is what I had in mind, I found a few circuit diagrams that seem to accomplish my goal. Though it would be more convenient to have a dedicated physical circuit and display to set the BPM.

Thanks!

@mahler007
If I'm playing something on my piano or bass it is more convenient to use my foot to trigger the loop and keep playing, as far as I know there's no easy way to do this with my daw (Reaper) without interrupting my playing eg: mimic the functions of loop pedal with a normal on/off pedal.

I would love to do this though, it would mean all those more expensive loop stations could be replaced by a few foot pedals and some track routing in Reaper.
๐Ÿ“ Reply