The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Rode K2 or .... ?
Old 17th May 2006
Gear Head

Rode K2 or .... ?

My best vendor of my gear recommended me Rode K2 as good vocal MIC .
I have Apogge Mini-Me which I want use as PRE and AD ...
I have one question, which from microphones have higher quality such as RODE K2 and have SAME (!) price range . ?

Thanks a lot
Old 17th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gore
My question is what MICs are higer quality than Rode K2 and have SAME (!) price range . ?

Thanks a lot

within the K2's price range, its pretty hard to beat. It sounds awsome im most cases.
Old 17th May 2006
Here for the gear

Hey gore,
never tried a K2 but the AT4047 is a mic that you should definitly try and it's in your price range. Like many will tell you, you should try different mics and see what works and sounds best for you.

Cheers,
nass
Old 17th May 2006
Lives for gear

I liked my K2 when I got it, but I really liked it after I replaced the tube in it. The mic's high end was a little brittle before I swapped tubes. There's still great high end, but not very brittle sounding like before.

As for the tubes, I happened to find a pair of NOS Telefunken E88CC's. I almost sold the mic before I found the NOS tubes! Would've been a huge mistake.
Old 17th May 2006
Lives for gear

I really like the K2. The omni setting is great for male screamers.

Quote:
I have one question, which from microphones have higher quality such as RODE K2 and have SAME (!) price range . ?

Thanks a lot
Old 17th May 2006
I put a NOS Mullard in mmine and it rocks!
Old 17th May 2006
Lives for gear

i was speaking to Rode support about swapping out the stock Sovtek tube in my rode K2. Heres an email reply.

G'day,

Warning First:
1) Always disconnect power before changing or replacing tubes.
2) Replacing or changing tubes must only be done by qualified
technicians to
avoid voiding warranty.
3) Care must be taken when using tubes not supplied by Rode Microphones
dealers as incorrectly marked tubes could damage your microphone.

The K2 circuit was based on the 6922 tube specifications and thats the
one we recommend for field replacement when not purchased from Rode
Microphones.

Obviously some valves sound better than others, like the "New Old Stock"
(NOS) Telefunkens. When you make thousands of microphones, like we do,
NOS tubes are not an option as we could never obtain enough stock.

As I am sure you will understand it is the designers job to make sure
that every microphone leaves the factory with the same sound quality (tone).

We source tubes from all over the world and like all the components that
Rode buys dont rely on markings. We have found two identically labeled
valves to be totally different in specifications.

We test every tube before it leaves the factory ensuring that they meet
their specifications. A good tube is one that has good specifications,
but because they are essentially an electro-mechanical device it still must
be tested in house by Rode staff. I dont have a view when it comes to the
manufactures as long as they meet specifications: (Whether they be
Siemens, Amperex, Sovtek or Svetlana)

The 6922 tube is basically electrically equivalent to the 6N11, 6DJ8,
ECC88 and the 6N1P (Obviously the 6N1P uses 635mA max heater current which is twice as much than the other tubes.)

Now the K2 power supply was designed to supply 350mA to the tubes heater
elements. The K2 power supply can supply up to 650mA heater currents
which means the 6N1P will work in the K2 although I would want to have a
listen.

The power supply will maintain its 6.3Volt output even at 650mA heater
load current.

The 6922, 6N11, 6DJ8, ECC88 and the 6N1P are all plug in replacements to
each other. The manufacture datasheets for all these part suggest that
you will not have any problem with plate voltages or other specification
when used in the K2. How they all perform and how well they operate is
another question all together.

Just incase you were wondering about plate voltages in the tube, here is
some brief technical information.

The nominal grid voltage (pin 2 on the tube) is: -77V The anode (pin 1
on the tube) is connected to ground via a 43K ohm resistor.
The anode voltage can swing between 0 Volts to -50 Volts.
The cathode (pin 3 on the tube) and the internal shield (pin 9 on the
tube) can swing in voltage from 0 Volts to -125 Volts.

Hope this info helps...

Cheers Chris.

What do you guys make of this???
Old 17th May 2006
Lives for gear

Well, when I was in the market for NOS tubes for my K2, I was under the impression that the 6922 an E88CC were equivalent/interchangeable. I was never informed about the electrical similarities of the additional tube models that the Rode guy mentioned. Mind you, I am by no means a tube afficionado or electrical engineer. So I'm also curious about what some of the more technically oriented folk have to say about this.
Old 17th May 2006
Lives for gear

So a long body chrome top vintage U47 being a 10 out of 10, what would folks rate a K2 with a NOS tube out of 10?
Old 17th May 2006
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by nass
Hey gore,
never tried a K2 but the AT4047 is a mic that you should definitly try and it's in your price range. Like many will tell you, you should try different mics and see what works and sounds best for you.

Cheers,
nass
The 4047 is a great mic, but I would NOT suggest it to anyone as their #1 vocal mic without getting to really spend some time with it first. Things it works on, it does really well, but it can be a terrible match for certain voices. I'd use an SM57 for my voice before one of my 4047s, it just accents all the wrong frequencies for me. Some voices, it works well, but it's a mic with a distinct character that seems to me very hit or miss for vox.
Old 17th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestral
So a long body chrome top vintage U47 being a 10 out of 10, what would folks rate a K2 with a NOS tube out of 10?
How 'bout this. A studio I often work at has an all original u47 longbody, so I can put it up against the K2 hopefully sometime soon. I'm not sure how "pristine" the u47 is, because it's the only one I've ever used, but it's always sounded pretty good. The only question is what pre's to use for the comparison. I own or have access to the following:

API 3124+, Wunder, AMS-Neve 1073, Neve V3 console pre's, RND Portico 5012, UA 610/6176, or SSL FX 383's.
Old 17th May 2006
MDM
Gear Addict

How does Rode K2 stand comparing to SE Gemini ?

I am somewhat attracted to the get a not too expensive tube-mic -- any people used the Gemini ?

I have found the K2 quite sibbillant ... is it ?
Old 18th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDM
How does Rode K2 stand comparing to SE Gemini ?

I am somewhat attracted to the get a not too expensive tube-mic -- any people used the Gemini ?

I have found the K2 quite sibbillant ... is it ?

Looks like you have answered your own question.

If you find the K2 quite sibilant, then the Gemini aint gonna help much. That mic is prone to sibilance too, especially on females.

Which one??? only you and your $$$'s can answer that.

IMO & for the money, the K2 stands out from the rest of the 'me too' / chinese mass produced tube mics in todays market.
Old 18th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmacko
How 'bout this. A studio I often work at has an all original u47 longbody, so I can put it up against the K2 hopefully sometime soon. I'm not sure how "pristine" the u47 is, because it's the only one I've ever used, but it's always sounded pretty good. The only question is what pre's to use for the comparison. I own or have access to the following:

API 3124+, Wunder, AMS-Neve 1073, Neve V3 console pre's, RND Portico 5012, UA 610/6176, or SSL FX 383's.
That sounds great if you could do that. Try it on the AMS Neve 1073 cause that's what I own (and put a good 1176 after it if you can :D )

By the way, I've heard the K2 (stock tube) on female vocals and it sounded great. Of course the singer is really good so I'm sure that helps.
Old 18th May 2006
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepwalker
I really like the K2. The omni setting is great for male screamers.
It sounds perfect , I'll buy it .... .
If someone has more impressions of K2 - I'll very pleased hear them .

thanks to all !
Old 18th May 2006
Lives for gear
The K2 is a great sounding mic, a great addition to your mic collection.
I especially like using it for room mic applications.
It has a hot output, and remember that you do not need to engage the 48v phantom power on your mic pre.
I like the variable polar pattern options. I have done a few sessions with the K2 for backup vocals, where there are 4, 5, or 6 singers (yellers) in a circle around the mic. I ask them to all put their arm straight out to touch the shock mount, and baisicly maintain that distance...so easy to get a great sound.
It sounds great placed 3 or 4 feet away from an acoustic guitar, espacially when combined with another close mic (like an SM81 or 451).
And as a room mic for drums,...yes sir.
Old 18th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
It sounds perfect , I'll buy it .... .
If someone has more impressions of K2 - I'll very pleased hear them .

thanks to all !

Thing is, the K2 is one of those mics that you couldnt really go wrong with. Once you try it, you will know what i mean. Its a pretty versatile mic, although IMO it shines most on vocals.

It has impressive specs, like a 10dba Noise floor (for a tube mic that is amazing, around half the noise of most chinese tube mics inc SE), up to 162db SPL, over 150db Dynamic range. That makes it one of the most impressive affordable mics on paper.

In the real world, those specs translate very well on a wide variety of sources, and the bottom line is that the K2 is under priced too.

Its an amazing mic for its price. And FWIW the stock tube is very very good.
Old 18th May 2006
Lives for gear

I use a K2 for my vocals - male, baritone, pushing lot's of air via Metric Halo ULN. I tested it in a friends pro studio against a Blue Blueberry and a Neuman U67, two mic's that I like on my voice and had previously used on projects. The pre there was a Sytec. We could tell no real difference between them - at least a difference that would justify NOT using the K2 and saving a bit. I bought it from a friend who was not at all happy with it on a his lead singers vocals - male, tenor, but kind of midrangey sounding guy.

Also has sounded great on the sound hole of an acoustic, as a room mic and on a Tweed Champ style amp.

Good luck!
Old 19th May 2006
Gear Maniac

I haven't used the K2 but do own the NTK and just wanted to vouch for what a difference the tube replacement makes. I had read some conflicting opinions and to me it was a very noticeable difference.

I got a NOS Tesla 'Saber' E88CC/6922 from Tubestore.com for $35 and worth every penny. I thought before I spend $100 or more for a tube replacement to go with something moderately priced and see if it would make a difference. It really rounded out the bottom end on this mic and tamed the somewhat harsh high end that the NTK is infamous for.

This mic is really nice on female singers now and I like it on my own voice, too. The tube replacement takes all of five minutes if you're being meticulous, so I'm planning on getting two more different tube replacement (probably Mullard and Siemen) just to have some different flavors. I, too, was very close to getting rid of this mic until the tube swap.

Cheers,
Theo
Old 19th May 2006
Lives for gear

FWIW I have tracked down some nice NOS tubes for my K2 in the UK. I still love the K2 as is (with its Sovtek), but wanna try some others.

Im going to try out a Mullard ECC88 and a Telefunken (6922 type) soon. Thing is these tubes are untested and may perform with unexpected results, so i have to be careful.
Old 19th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:

Thanks a lot
Rode K2 IS a good mic, however if price is an issue, consider a cardioid only tube mic.

The Cascade valve55 is a good choice at $500 us. It's inexpensive because it's probably made by eight-year-olds in China.

Available at BAYVIEW PRO AUDIO on the web.
Old 19th May 2006
Gear Maniac

imo the K2 and Audio Technica AT4050 are the best mics in that price range. I have both and use the K2 on drum overheads, acoustic guitars and vocals. The AT4050 is great on vocals, acoustic guitars and guitar amps.
Old 19th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofswing
In the real world, those specs translate very well on a wide variety of sources, and the bottom line is that the K2 is under priced too.
its priced on what it costs to make not how it sounds, its a shame more companies dont do it.
Old 24th April 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
It's inexpensive because it's probably made by eight-year-olds in China.
That's funny!

Other than that I just opened my K2 and it's an Electro Harmonix 6922EH Made in Russia. I love the sound, but I'll never have peace because the grass could be different on the other side

Someone should have a deal where you get sent 4 different NOS tubes, you have maybe a week or a month to decide which one's right, or all) and you send them on.

Scoring a gem tube on a paupers pay is looking unrealistic to me. I'll continue at the Moan Zone lol

Rode K2 is freaking awesome though, I'm almost through renovating a room to make it feel more at home.
Old 24th April 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyM View Post
maybe you should read the label
Old 24th April 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyM View Post
I think it is made in Australia (although it was roumour that Rode orders some parts from China).

I have NTK and on PCB is written K2, it means that PCB was predestined to new K2 mics which has similar sonic characteristics.
Good tobe improves both mics very much.
Old 11th June 2008
Lives for gear

That's not a quote from me ajfarber, please get your sources right
Old 11th June 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
That's not a quote from me gents, it's from another gent higher up the postings; please get your sources right. And a good preamp to go with those sources ah hahaa
Old 11th June 2008
Lives for gear

apologies JoeyM
you should of quoted it in your original post so it was clear
Old 11th June 2008
Gear Head

I love the K2, growls on the low end and tad sibilant when paired with an LA 610.
Clean as a bell through a Great River ME-1NV, my preferred set up.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search