The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Rode K2 or .... ?
Old 29th July 2009
Lives for gear

You are right,

I am letting them go for 1,000$ a pair with NOS tubes in it. Now that is a pretty good deal !
Old 29th July 2009
Lives for gear

The K2 doesn't have the upper-mid sibilance of say the NT2a or NT1000... very smooth but clear. I regularly borrow one of a mate who also has a pair of U87s... and the K2 gets heaps usage.

All RØDEs these days are entirely made in Australia - no Chinese **** in them. Australian manufacturing wages are higher than that of the US, on par with western Europe, so it's rather amazing they sell them for the prices they do.

And of course, their warranty/support is legendary. I had a 4 year old, well out of warranty NT1a stop working about a year ago... posted it off to them, 2 weeks later it came back with a brand new capsule, no charge, and they even paid for the return shipping. I think they've extended their standard warranty out to 10 years now, though you get the feeling if it one of their mics, they'll fix it regardless if you're the 1st or 10th owner.
Old 30th July 2009
Gear Nut

Rode Tech Service Rated 110% - they go to "11"...

I second that on their tech service in Washington State - I had an issue w/ an aftermarket 7 pin cable and even with them knowing that I bought them used, they "solved" it.
Rokus666, I'm tellin' you one mo' time, send the friggin' things back to them and let them FIX the runny nose thing. I bet ya you'd only have to pay shipping one way. Call and hope that Alan answers cause he's a very humble guy w/ a big heart who aims to please.
Might just be that $50 (or less) shipping one way for both mics to be fixed and sounding like they are s'posed to could be all that it takes to end this thread.
Old 30th July 2009
Lives for gear

on the Rode customer service.

I called them about a shock mount for my Rode Classic and they said they would modify one from the Classic II and send it to me.

When I asked how much... they said FREE!!

And they even paid for the shipping!!
Old 1st December 2009
Lives for gear

Rokus, did you ever get the K2 issue sorted out?
Old 1st December 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmacko View Post
I liked my K2 when I got it, but I really liked it after I replaced the tube in it. The mic's high end was a little brittle before I swapped tubes. There's still great high end, but not very brittle sounding like before.

As for the tubes, I happened to find a pair of NOS Telefunken E88CC's. I almost sold the mic before I found the NOS tubes! Would've been a huge mistake.
This sound good. I also have a pair of K2 and to me the upper middle is too harsh... I got to try this as well...

Simo
Old 2nd December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speeddemon View Post
Rokus, did you ever get the K2 issue sorted out?
I replaced the tubes.
I acoustically treated the room and....voila.
Microphones are definitely usable.

Although one of the power supplies went down, sent it down to Rode and still waiting for two months, no news.

I never got to use them in my new superbly treated room, just tested it.

nasal quality was caused by improper room treatment. Now I can hear color they produce comparing to other mics. I can't stress enough the importance of a good room.

Other than that, I am keeping them in my collection...will try them on the acc.bass, drum overheads and pop acc.guitars...and of course vocals...
Old 15th December 2009
Lives for gear

how would the K2 perform on percussion such as bongo's/ conga's?
Old 15th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by radic View Post
how would the K2 perform on percussion such as bongo's/ conga's?
One thing I have learned on gearslutz is hearing before seing.
I could tell you those mics worked for me but not necessarily they will work for another person. Same with U87. Some hate it, some think it's the best mic in the world.
Never sell your mics no matter how cheap they are... and never listen for my advice. Everyone's recording sounds different...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search