The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Rode K2 or .... ?
Old 11th June 2008
Lives for gear

@ aussie_techie: no problem, I'm getting used to the way things post here and will make a better effort to not screw up so bad.

@ mikedevelta: WOW that Great River ME-1NV looks nice and I'll be thinking/visualising about it. My current plan was to get a Seventh Circle Audio Chassis with one Neve and one API clone prebuilt and then build additional cards myself, but that Great River looks to be amazing.

One thing and I hate to change the subject, but the little brother to the K2 is the NT2a (which is another happy purchase) but the manual states that any impedance under 1000 will result in lower output.

Is the Great River stuck at 300 and 600 ohms?
Old 12th June 2008
Lives for gear

the K2 and NT2A and NT200 all use the same capsule but the output stage will be very different in the K2.

the great river has an impedance switch to switch between 600 and 1.2K. or was it 300 and 1.2K, either way its switchable from the front panel.
Old 8th July 2008
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyM View Post
@ aussie_techie: no problem, I'm getting used to the way things post here and will make a better effort to not screw up so bad.

@ mikedevelta: WOW that Great River ME-1NV looks nice and I'll be thinking/visualising about it. My current plan was to get a Seventh Circle Audio Chassis with one Neve and one API clone prebuilt and then build additional cards myself, but that Great River looks to be amazing.

One thing and I hate to change the subject, but the little brother to the K2 is the NT2a (which is another happy purchase) but the manual states that any impedance under 1000 will result in lower output.

Is the Great River stuck at 300 and 600 ohms?
There is a pad on the front panel which allows you to select from two preset impedence settings. They should give you enough flexibilty with your different mics. I forget the specs though.
Old 10th July 2008
Lives for gear

Rode K-2 tube question

Hello,

I have red on the forum that tube replacement on rode K2 with telefunken NOS Telefunken E88CC's really makes a difference.
My default tubes are some chinese **** that came with the mic. I don't really like it's sound and seriously thinking getting rid of this stereo pair I own. Do you really think that TELEFUNKEN PCC88 for 6DJ8 6922 E88CC DIAMOND NOS PAIR

will make a diiference ? It is a 120 $ investment and I am seriously hesitating whether I should get it or not...
Any feedback would be appreciated.
Cheers
Old 10th July 2008
Lives for gear

I have a K2 and a NTK. They are some of my better mics. The K2 is a little more pristine and the NTK is a little more in your face but they are similar tone wise. I prefer the NTK on vocals but love the K2 way more on drums and rooms and anything distance miking wise is where it shines. I've gotta do the tube swap thingy on them....
Old 10th July 2008
Lives for gear

Yes, That is excatly what I have noticed is that K2 sounds good with distance miking. I actually used it to record the classical recital, spred out 2 mics in cardioid mode and it ended up sounding like crap. You really need to put this mic like 6 feet away from guitar to get a nice result...
You could really hear the frequency response of this mic when you got the source upfront.
So, I spoke to couple of people that sell tubes and they told me that the tube replacement is a subjective thing. I am just hoping that telefunken or ampherex is going to be way better than chinese default tubes. otherwise, I am going to get rid of this frustrating mic.
I was really pushing this pair of K2 over the limit. I have done so many recordings with it trying to "find" the sweet spots and hoping it will sound good, moving it inch by inch increments from the source. Never got the desired sound. Simply awful and disturbing sonically. Not like other mics that you don't have to worry about placement that much... just "stick it in there" and it will sound good.
I've heard so many positive and cool things about K2. I really think the tubes will do the magic of changing the character. I strongly hope so, because I need to produce this freaking pop record on time and damn freaking broke to be investing in new gear.
Old 8th July 2009
Gear Nut

I guess you didn't get the tube and replace the factory one?

Or did you do it and weren't impressed enough to even continue this post?

It's been almost a year to the day, hope all is well.
Old 8th July 2009
Gear Maniac

With all these talk about tube swapping..... tells me I gotta swap mine too. Where do you guys buy these tubes from?
Old 8th July 2009
Gear Nut

Good God, I just did a search.....a lot to choose from....overchoice.....overload......I guess as always it boils down to bucks...."how much are you willing to spend"...I hope you don't end up with the ones I wanted to buy....aaarrrrrrggghh.

If you can read thru the opinions and take the statements w/ a grain of salt then weigh the reasoning behind them, this is what I've discovered without any "hands on" as of yet:
there's tubes that:
zero in on and effect the mids only,
Tubes that smooth out the highs
Tubes that sound "darker"
Overall, the quality becomes better with the more quantity that comes out of yer pocket.
aaarrrggghhh...
Correct me if i'm wrong fellow slutz.
Old 8th July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by root View Post
I guess you didn't get the tube and replace the factory one?

Or did you do it and weren't impressed enough to even continue this post?

It's been almost a year to the day, hope all is well.

You are totally right. It's been a long time. I have replaced the tubes and it didn't make the slightest difference. The microphone still sounds nasal as hell.
Disturbingly nasal, nasal awful, overall nasty nasal. Maye good for clarinet, I don't know.
I have tried K2 Pair on the Jazz drum overheads, sounded big, impressive, suficient, and still freaking nasal. Even if I filter out that 500 Hz I still hear that god damn artifact ringing in my head... Since last year I've tried in on few vocals both male and female, raspy and smooth, it was nasal as hell and lot of 10k presence almost unbearable to deal with...
Also I used a pair on big djembe, and ended up using the take on the track...had to EQ as hell to sit it right... you can hear it Ethnotronik - ReverbNation
The song is called Clockmaker-djembe comes in like almost half way through out the song...

This is just my subjective experience about this mic, overall nothing special. For the price, there are much better tube microphones out there. Rode is a good company but this mic is a flaw.
Old 8th July 2009
Gear Nut

What specific tubes did you try...I got info from sellers that telefunkens are for highs and more air & mullards are for mids and warmth. That's frpom a respected seller with a 30 day refund/credit policy if you aren't happy....
Old 8th July 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
What specific tubes did you try...I got info from sellers that telefunkens are for highs and more air & mullards are for mids and warmth. That's frpom a respected seller with a 30 day refund/credit policy if you aren't happy....
RODA k2 is very good microphone. I replaced the stock tube with a siemmens NOS. a real improvement¡¡¡¡
Old 8th July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:

I am aware of that...IMO, If the microphone sounds nasal, there is nothing that can change that frequency response... only barely noticeable subtleties are improved with different tubes. Of course this is a subjective statement.
Old 9th July 2009
Lives for gear

Roko did you try the different patterns or just cardioid?
Old 9th July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyM View Post
Roko did you try the different patterns or just cardioid?

tried diferent patterns on the voice and percussions...

cardioid, bi-directional and omni on the vocal and drums... I ended up going with omni(vocals) and cardioid pair(drums) but sounded still nasal...couldn't avoid the actual sound of the microphone...
Old 9th July 2009
Lives for gear

I didn't try this microphone on accoustic bass and such. Since it has a big low frequency response and some weird top end, I asume it will work well on the bass, but you can't know until you try it. I am just trying to find this pair a purpose in my studio. And trying it hard for over a year...
my AT 4033 beats this mic in any application. Also TLM 103...
MXL V67 also had proven itself well in percussion recordings...
I also tried K2's in stereo pair for vocal recording...still nasal...

You have to have a microphone that will work whenever you put it somewhere quickly. If you can't get the sound you desire, just take it off and put something else. So far K2 was the biggest looser... and I was hoping it will shine somewhere..(acc guitar, cl guitar, classical recital, drums jazz, rock vocal, pop vocal male and female)

bump...I don't think any preamp would remove the nasal quality this mic has. LA-610, Pacifica, Trident board, Presonus digimax are pres that I have run this mic trough...
Old 9th July 2009
Gear Nut

I haven't heard anybody use this term describing there dislike of the Rode K2. I've heard talk of siblance problems, edgy highs and the wish for a high pass filter / bass roll off. But not nasal. Where does nasality reside in the frequency spectrum from 20 to 20.
Would I be a dumb tadpole to assume that all the tracks you ever did with this mic must have shared the same frequency loss or gain or in your own terms - "nasal" characteristic.
And if this is so, couldn't you find out exactly where that spot is with a frequency analyzer and bump up or down with EQ to solve the recurring problem?
There's gotta be somebody lurking about this thread that has had to encounter this problemo with other mics or even all mics.
Help this poor guy out.
Bob G aka root
Old 9th July 2009
Lives for gear

Roko that just bleeds my heart to be liking my K2 so much and see you in pain and agony. Have you checked with Rode customer support?

What kind of music did you try making with it? I'm not saying the K2 is everybody's cup of tea, but its never gone out of its way to annoy me either.

Chris Lago got a telefunken tube in his K2 and I'm impressed with its sound and potential (when that sound is double tracked and all that).

But, if you can't get the K2 replaced or looked-at you ought to sell it Roko.
You've had a bad time with this mic But if Rode finds it's defective and replaces it then you'll have a great mic!
Old 9th July 2009
Lives for gear

i feel ya

i have been pondering the same thing too

i have heard such great things about the sputnik, i got give it a try

same with the k2 many people love that too

i have a buddy that has the AT and i got to use it a while back and it sounds nice to my ears

would really like to get my hands on all three together and see what i like best
Old 9th July 2009
Gear Nut

Roko D do yourself a favour and make a call to the Rode support customer service # and tell them your story. They will listen and make you happy.

RØDE Microphones - Please select your region

I called today - got a machine - they called me back in 5 minutes - told me to register even though I'm not a original owner and they would treat me good.

What have u got nto lose.

Theres numbers to call even internationally as well as USA and Aussieland.

Do it up.
Old 15th July 2009
Lives for gear

Thanks for the info, I will definitely call rode and talk to them about this microphone. But definitely, I will give it another try on vocals both male and female. Also, will record drums with it once again...

I hate to bash on the equipment especially if I own it. Just didn't get the desired result with it. Maybe it's the situation I was in. I will try to post all the recordings I've done with those microphones and you be the judge...
Old 15th July 2009
Gear Nut

I thought I saw your mics for sale at some point in the last few days....did you give up on sellin them cuz of no "bites" or was that my imagination.... I just got a deal that I couldn't refuse on 2 of them. I'm glad your not giving up on 'em.
Old 15th July 2009
Lives for gear

I might as well stick with them, they might come in handy anytime soon...
Old 15th July 2009
Maybe it's your room - I have noticed that it really let me hear what I need to fix about my acoustic space - could it be that your room is the nasal problem???
Old 15th July 2009
Lives for gear

Hm, I don't think it was my room, seriously doubt about it...
I am moving to a new studio, gonna have a completely isolated booth...
Will try it over there as well, if not, I'll sell them.
Old 16th July 2009
Gear Nut

Rokus666.......A while back you said that TELEFUNKEN PCC88 tubes are what you swapped in your K2's. They aren't really correct replacements, as they are 7 volt versions & they aren't guaranteed to work the same way because of the voltage difference.....That could be your problem as far as your nasal qualities not being corrected/fixed.....why don't you read up on what the correct replacements should be and maybe try the 6922 6DJ8 or ECC88 or ECC88 that are recommended.
Good Luck...
Old 16th July 2009
Lives for gear

Well, supposedly I spoke to the guy that sells the tubes and he told me that people put those That I've put in.
That didn't make the slightest difference in sound from Chinese stock tubes.

Man, give up on these mics, there are much better things for the money out there...
You can find other posts and you will see that rode K2 is nothing special.
Some people hate it, some people like it. But I have 2 of them and I don't like both. Maybe it's just a coincidence as they are not matched pair.

The tubes I've put in are Phillips NOS ECC88 They have some hours burnt into it and they should be working fine...
Old 16th July 2009
Gear Nut

Maybe it's the fact that I just committed to 2 used ones or just maybe it's due to the fact that I hear you say: "I might as well stick with them, they might come in handy anytime soon..."
then in a few posts later you say:"Man, give up on these mics, there are much better things for the money out there..."All these complaints and without even calling Rode and asking for some help to remedy your "nasality"??? How's about this: I GIVE UP ON YOU!
Thank You, Good Luck & Good Nite,
root
Old 16th July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Maybe it's the fact that I just committed to 2 used ones or just maybe it's due to the fact that I hear you say:

"I might as well stick with them, they might come in handy anytime soon..."

then in a few posts later you say:

"Man, give up on these mics, there are much better things for the money out there..."

All these complaints and without even calling Rode and asking for some help to remedy your "nasality"???

How's about this: I GIVE UP ON YOU!

Thank You, Good Luck & Good Nite,
root
Either way, if I sell them or not, It's not going to be some financial disaster for them sitting in the closet. I am pretty confident that K2's do sound nasal.(at least on the sources I used them on)
And the fact that I said that I will stick to them means that If they didn't sell, I might as well try it on different instruments I didn't try before. I kind of know the sound of it...There is no remedy for the actual sound of the mic. Please, read what other people say about this thing. I've red plenty of reviews before I bought them...believe me. It seems that you are trying to convince yourself that you will get a superb sound for what you pay for. Your ear can only be the judge. See it for yourself.
Old 19th July 2009
you really have great patience in them i suppose after the pair had created so much nuisance for you.

selling the mic off will take your nightmare away dude... stay cool...

if you don't like, sell them....

alot will still be interested to take them off your hands i suppose...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search