The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Beatles Revolver ADT delay timing
Old 17th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Beatles Revolver ADT delay timing

I was curious about the Beatles use of ADT (automatic double tracking) on Revolver. Lennon loved it as it meant he no longer had to sing twice to have the double tracked sound. On many songs, the original vocal and ADT'd vocal are mixed together "like "Taxman". But on some songs, like "And Your Bird Can Sing", and "Dr. Robert", they are panned hard left and hard right. So I imported the songs into Pro Tools, and set upon finding out the amount of delay by running a ddl on one side. It turns out the number is approximately 29.4ms. I can't say exactly. I did try to phase reverse one side and get it to cancel, but it wouldn't. Probably because they don't sound exactly the same, as one has another tape generation on it. Anyway, if you ever wondered how much delay ADT produced, now you know.

The vocal on the right side is the original, btw.
Old 17th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Very cool experiment and thanks for taking the time to do it! I have always wanted to spend some time and analyze some Beatles tracks but just haven't had the time. Thanks for the info!
Old 17th May 2006
Lives for gear

Reading the words 'protools' and 'The Beatles' in the same sentence is kinda of weird and almost blasphemous. Great lp though. I should probably retire my mono version and buy the stereo version so I can hear what your talking about.

I love that song I'm only sleeping............. Everybody seems to think I'm lazy
Old 17th May 2006
Lives for gear

Heh, cool. Was this the one that was done by physically pressing against one of the capstans, or was that their flanging? If so, it might not yield a consistent time. Anyway, fun to know. Thanks for going to the trouble.

My favorite Beatle effect of all time is the distortion on Lennon's voice on "Walrus," which, I was delighted to learn (from a post by Ken Scott right here on GS), was created by driving a Fairchild to kingdom come. You can really hear it on one of the "Anthologies" tracks. Amazingly lovely sound, unlike any vox distortion I've heard since.

Then of course, there's analysis and there's analysis.

heh

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search