The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Most Stable Audio Card
Old 17th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Most Stable Audio Card

Hello,

I am currently back in the running for a new audio card after way too many headaches with my Yamaha I88X. I am now looking for something that is notorious for stability on a PC (Ha, ha, jokes aside). I know that the RME stuff is supposed to be pretty stable, but I was looking into a Lynx two (4in/out), how do those sound? Stability??

I was even considering a Rosetta 200 with the firewire card, but would like to stay at $1000 or below. I'm running Nuendo on a P4 3GHZ with 3GB of Ram if that helps any. I really just want something that sounds good and works consistently.

Any info is appreciated.

-Ron
Old 17th May 2006
Lives for gear

RME 96/52 is ungodly stable. It worked in every system I put it in, no extra tweaking needed in any case. I used mine with Nuendo as well.
Old 17th May 2006
AjD
Gear Addict

RME cards are the poster child for your application. PC-based, Nuendo, stability. RME is a match for all three.

Best,
Adam
drawingroom.org
Old 17th May 2006
Lives for gear

also checkout Creamware Scope Home... mines been rock solid for 5 years now.. kooky software platform but once you understand it you can see its amazingly routable and configurable. Team with A16 Ultra for 16x16 IO... very good ASIO drivers and great with Nuendo.
Old 17th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Yeah I checked out the Scope system at NAMM and wasn't as interested as a thought I would be, just too many options for routing. I just want a get up and go card.

How does the RME sound in comparison to the Lynx card??

I would like something with at least 4in/out, perhaps I'll look deeper into the PCI RME cards.

Thanks
Old 17th May 2006
Lynx and RME- same league as for the sound quality/converters. But I would go with RME. I got their Fireface 800 and its incredible stable. Check out their new Fireface 400- same guts but cheaper

Cheers

Marty
Old 17th May 2006
Lives for gear

I've used a MOTU 2408 MkIII for the last 3 years and never had one single problem with it. It's hooked up to 3x Apogee Rosetta 800 converters all clocked from a Big Ben. I don't use the analogue in's and out's so I not bothered by MOTU's rather dubious quality converters. I had a 24 i/o hooked up to for a while and again no problems at all but I just didn't like the sound, the Apogee's blow it's socks off
Old 17th May 2006
Lives for gear

MOTU got a very bad rep back in the days of the PCI-324, since the PCI-424 the problems are for the most part absent.

Ive had a PCI424 card with a 192HD and 24IO hanging off it, with Zero problems. also using Nuendo.
Old 17th May 2006
Lives for gear

PS, Soundscape is also hard to beat for stability.
Old 17th May 2006
Gear Addict

RME Digiface/PC/Nuendo user here. No problems at all. Periodically, you'll want to check for down loadable revisions/updates from the RME website. That's proved to be painless aswell.
Old 17th May 2006
Lives for gear

RME.

Replaced my Digi 002 which gave me non-stop headaches with a ff800. No more headaches. No more glitches or problems. Never looked back.
Old 17th May 2006
Gear Maniac

RME card is rock solid here...PC Driver is very stable
Old 17th May 2006
Lives for gear

Definately RME. Very good drivers, pristine sound quality, flexible, etc. Cannot praise enough really.
Regards Tamas Dragon
Old 17th May 2006
Lives for gear

Yup... definitely RME. Nothing beats it for that application.
Old 17th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Another vote for Anything Scope (Creamware) . Going on 10 years with their products (started with Triple Dat) Very solid stuff. Very flexible routing makes it a no brainer. Complicated some may say, but not if you understand anything about studios and patchbays... very intuiative for me, but then again, that's almost 10 years of working with CW products.

FB

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search