The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
I'm purchasing a 32" - 42" LCD, Suggestions?
Old 17th May 2006
Gear Head

I'm purchasing a 32" - 42" LCD, Suggestions?

I'm looking for a high quality display for my studio.. It needs to be 32-42" diagonal and I'd really like it to be able to display non-fuzzy text. Does anyone know of any makes/models of larger displays? I figured I'd at least try and post a question here to see if anyone knew of any. The budget is $1500-$1800.

-Donovan
Old 17th May 2006
Gear Head

By the way we'll be using this as our main computer display for tracking and mixing sessions so sharp images is definitely a must. I've read a little and found that DVI inputs are necessary.. other than that?
Old 17th May 2006
Gear Maniac

If you have a Costco near you they are carying this new brand called Vizio. It has DVI, HDMI, and composit inputs. I just picked up a 32" for $900. AND, it has HD built in! Simply amazing what you can get these days for the price. If not, go with a Sharp or Samsung. Those are the two best LCD makers out right now.
Old 17th May 2006
Gear Addict

if you're using it as a monitor, get a 1080p model. It will display 1920x1080 resolution... VASTLY improving your screen real estate. Best two options for the buck are the 42" spectre, or 42" westinghouse. Both LCD's, both offer non1080p options as well... I have a 1080p westinghouse as a monitor and it's great.
Old 17th May 2006
Lives for gear

Come one guys - he's willing to spend up to $1800, he can get a Panasonic. The other, cheaper ones won't hold a candle to it. Try to get to a store that has a few brands, but make sure they also have Panny.
Old 17th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zkaudio
if you're using it as a monitor, get a 1080p model. It will display 1920x1080 resolution... VASTLY improving your screen real estate. Best two options for the buck are the 42" spectre, or 42" westinghouse. Both LCD's, both offer non1080p options as well... I have a 1080p westinghouse as a monitor and it's great.

1080p for $1500-1800? Not this year...
Old 17th May 2006
Here for the gear

check bestbuy

hello

i see you are in Ft. Wayne, i am in Indy.

you should check bestbuy, the have a couple of good deals right now.

you should check out:

Toshiba 32" model#32HL95

Westinghouse 37" 1080p LCD HD Monitor Model: LVM-37w3

Samsung 32" Widescreen Flat-Panel LCD HDTV
Model: LN-S3252D

i think one of these would work

Old 17th May 2006
Gear Addict

I have the Sharp 45" Aquos. It is great with computer text through the DVI input.

It is my main TV and my monitor for my home theater computer. That being said, I surf around quite a bit and small text is readable from about 8-9 feet away.

Mike
Old 17th May 2006
Gear Head

i'd get the dell 30"... 2 inches smaller than you wanted, but you aren't going to get near that resolution in an hdtv without getting a 1080p model, and that will cost you much more. it's a question of which is more important to you. size or quality.
Old 17th May 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by mote
i'd get the dell 30"... 2 inches smaller than you wanted, but you aren't going to get near that resolution in an hdtv without getting a 1080p model, and that will cost you much more. it's a question of which is more important to you. size or quality.
Hey mote,

How have you been? haven't seen you around...

Send me a PM when you have a free minute.
Old 17th May 2006
T9c
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mote
That's what I explained to my EX-wife. dfegad

That monitor will also set ya back $2,200 and requires a Dual Link 2560x1600 capable video card. No question it'd be sharper than anything else, though.
Old 17th May 2006
jbo
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont
Hey mote,

How have you been? haven't seen you around...

Send me a PM when you have a free minute.

Whoops!!! that wasn't mote, that was me. we both work at the same place, and i didn't realized i was signed in as him. sorry.
Old 18th May 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbo
Whoops!!! that wasn't mote, that was me. we both work at the same place, and i didn't realized i was signed in as him. sorry.
Well, tell him I said Hi...thumbsup
Old 26th September 2006
Lives for gear

Westinghouse 42" 1080p model.... $1599.99 at BEst Buy right now!

-S0nguy
Old 26th September 2006
Lives for gear

How does the Westinghouse 42" 1080p model compare with Apple's 30" Cinema?
Old 27th September 2006
Lives for gear

Umm.......... it's 12" bigger?

Seriously, it IS bigger but a lower resolution... not a low resolution... just lower then the 30" Apple. ANd you dont need some high powered bideo card to run it either... AND it has all kinds of inputs... teh Apple 30" only has ONE input and it is 500 dollars more...

-S0nguy
Old 3rd November 2006
Gear Maniac

I'm thinking of getting something pretty large, possibly the 37" Westinghouse (1080p)...how will the acoustics of the room be affected by having such a large piece of plastic/glass reflecting right in front of me. Maybe I should tilt it down slightly? I mean, studios with windows in the control room have glass right there behind the monitors...right?

--> freddie
Old 3rd November 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0nguy View Post
Westinghouse 42" 1080p model.... $1599.99 at BEst Buy right now!

Okay, I'll revise my earlier statement:

Good quality 1080p for $1500-1800? Not this year...
Old 3rd November 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagine View Post
How does the Westinghouse 42" 1080p model compare with Apple's 30" Cinema?

well, even though the Apple is smaller, the Apple has nearly twice as many available pixels than the Westinghouse 42".

so naturally, one is a TV, the other is a Computer Monitor.
I'll let you guess which is which.
Old 3rd November 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
Okay, I'll revise my earlier statement:

Good quality 1080p for $1500-1800? Not this year...

Actually, the Westinghouse LVM-42w2 is a great LCD regardless of price. I've seen them in action - great picture. It's a little lacking with input options and you need an external tuner but as a monitor it's beautiful. The CNET and Amazon reviews are all pretty good.

The Sony Bravia KDL-46V2500 and KDL-40V2500 models are also excellent @ 1080p but more expensive.
Old 3rd November 2006
Lives for gear

DELL also has this deal:

Dell UltraSharp 3007WFP 30" Widescreen LCD Monitor for $1,274 shipped
The Dell UltraSharp 3007WFP 30" Widescreen LCD Monitor costs $1,274.15 at Dell Home, as we mentioned last week. With free shipping, that's $5 off last week's deal and the lowest total price we've ever seen for a 30" LCD monitor. Sales tax is added where applicable. This LCD touts a native resolution of 2560x1600, 11ms response time, 700:1 contrast ratio, 400 cd/m2 brightness, 4-port USB hub, 9-in-1 flash card reader, swivel and tilt adjustment, and DVI-D (compatible video card required) input.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...9&sku=222-0863

Review here: http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=4537&page=3

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search