The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Condenser mic for home studio use...
Old 17th May 2006
Here for the gear

Condenser mic for home studio use...

I am outfitting a small home studio for hobby use--no $ made here, trust me. I'm looking for a decent condenser mic at $300. Does such a thing exist? Or should I just stick with the Shure Beta 58A I've been using the last few years and call it a day? Thanks for the advice.
Old 17th May 2006
Lives for gear

You will get dozens of recommendations at this price level. I'm far from convinced that most home studios need a cheap condensor mic.

Do you have excellent acoustics? A condensor mic will bring out the full effect of your room, whether it's good or bad.

Are your vocals harsh or sibilant? A condensor mic will maximise harsh, essy sounds.

Cheap condensor mics sound cheap. The cheap ones are usually made in China and re-branded. Not that that should necessarily be a bad thing, but generally these Chinesese mic's are very bright and harsh. You will need an excellent parametric eq to notch out the problems that these mics bring to the party.

For many vocalists a good dynamic mic that rejects unwanted sound and blurs harsh transients can be just the answer. However - you need an excellent mic preamp to get the best out of a dynamic mic. To a certain extent, because of the hotter, brighter output, you can get away with a lesser preamp with condensors.

If you want just one condensor mic, get a good versatile one. Maybe an AT4050.
Old 17th May 2006
Gear Addict

Everything Kiwiburger said is spot on.

I'd get an SM7B and a great preamp!
Old 17th May 2006
MWP
Gear Maniac

For a starter hobby mic, IMHO I'd recommend the Rode NT1. You can find them on ebay used for about 100$. They were one of the first mics I bought. I still use them on certain vocals and drum overheads. At this price you could use the extra money to invest in a decent mic preamp. I haven't heard the new Rode NT1A.

MWP
Old 17th May 2006
Lives for gear

MXL 2001 (with ROYER Labs Mod *do a search*)
Old 17th May 2006

Look at the Kel Audio mics

Look at the Sure 85 and 87 models (maybe the 81 as well)

Look at the Electrovoice RE510

Look at the Studio Projects C4 pack.

Look at the Audio Technica 4041.

I've used most of these mics and some of them a lot. They all have their place. I don't consider any of these cheap mics (though a few are quite inexpensive). All of them should be under of close to your $300.

($300 US gets you more than $300 CD or AU....)

-tINY

Old 17th May 2006
Gear Head
In the low budget range, Studio Projects B1 is the best IMHO. Another alternative could be Oktava MK319, which is also a nice mic.
Old 17th May 2006
Here for the gear

IMO an Audio Technica AT4040 (300$) is a good mic but as Kiwiburger said, acoustics and isolation are a must because condensers are very sensitive and they pick up things you don't want to have on your track (correct me if i'am wrong plz).

Cheers

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search