The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Gefell m990
Old 16th May 2006
Gear Head

Gefell m990

Hi!
I 'm a songwriter and I want to record my next cd single at my home studio. The type of music I write is acoustic Greek music and the gear I have for recording is a rode NTK, akg 451b-Dav bg1-lynx l22-samplitude 8 and various plug-ins. Although I 'm quite happy with the results I' m thinking of selling the NTK and get instead a Gefell m990, witch I have found for 1500 Euros
Do you think it is a great step up and a good all purpose LD mike to have for vocals (Female most) and how it goes with the Dav bg1 as a pre? Is the Charteroak 538 a contender or not?
Thank you in advance! (Sorry for my English…)
Kostas
Old 17th May 2006
Lives for gear

I am a big gefell fan, have many pairs of their mics, and really , all of them are fantastic. Good choice on the DAV too! Fantastic pre. Stick with Gefell, you cant go wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigo
Hi!
I 'm a songwriter and I want to record my next cd single at my home studio. The type of music I write is acoustic Greek music and the gear I have for recording is a rode NTK, akg 451b-Dav bg1-lynx l22-samplitude 8 and various plug-ins. Although I 'm quite happy with the results I' m thinking of selling the NTK and get instead a Gefell m990, witch I have found for 1500 Euros
Do you think it is a great step up and a good all purpose LD mike to have for vocals (Female most) and how it goes with the Dav bg1 as a pre? Is the Charteroak 538 a contender or not?
Thank you in advance! (Sorry for my English…)
Kostas
Old 17th May 2006
Gear Head

Thank you for replying. I must say that I have known Dav from You guys in this forum and I’m very happy after I bought it. What do you think about gefell m92.1s versus m990?
Old 17th May 2006
Lives for gear

They are both amazing, but the M990 has a slight presence boost, which helps add some fullness to the voice and solo instruments. really though..you cant go wrong either way.
Teddy
Old 17th May 2006
Lives for gear
I use M990 for my own voice (male) and find the presence boost gives a nice air but is in NO way harsh. For more aggressive, in your face (lower midrange boost) type sounds I use a Lawson L47.

-Lee
Old 17th May 2006
Gear Nut

I am also a big fan of the Gefell mics (I used to have an M930). For $1.5k, the M990 is a steal!
Old 17th May 2006
Gear Head

Thank you all, you convinced me and I ordered the m990! I hope I will have it in my hands next week . After I will have done some tests I will report.
Old 17th May 2006
Lives for gear

Good choice overall. Although I don't have a 990, I had one for eval for a couple of weeks. Nice mic. I too have been consistently impressed with Gefell mics. MG is an unsung hero in he mic industry.
Old 30th October 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigo View Post
Thank you all, you convinced me and I ordered the m990! I hope I will have it in my hands next week . After I will have done some tests I will report.
I'm sorry to warm this thread up, but do you like the M990 now?
Old 30th October 2006
Here for the gear

agreed

I've had nothing but good experiece with gefell mics as well
Old 31st October 2006
Gear Head

Of course I like it, although I must say I don’t have much of experience with expensive mics...It is different than NTK, I used to have, in the midrange quality and it produces a more real and in your face sound! I’m more a musician-composer than an engineer, so you should consider my opinion this way, but if you are interested to here how it sounds, I could post some samples from it.
Old 19th July 2010
any 990 samples around there?
i am decided between 930 and 990.
930 is MEAT
i hope 990 is TUBE MEAT.

please any demos!!!
Old 16th August 2010
Gear Head

Here is a small demo we did several years ago, when i bought the m990,whith a friend of mine who plays the guitar and sings a song of Manos Hatzidakis . The guitar is out of tune but you can here the quality of the microphone.
Attached Files

gefell.mp3 (1.67 MB, 3195 views)

Old 17th August 2010
Here for the gear

Hi bigo,

since August there is the new M1030 vocal mic from Gefell out.
The electrical design of the condenser mic is based on the very successful M930 model, but the new mic is bigger and with the focus on smoother vocal sounds. The mic is also good on stringed instruments also.
The retail price in europe is around 1.450.- euros without tax.
Try to test one.
Herb
Attached Files
File Type: pdf M 1030_data_sheet_ENG.pdf (935.4 KB, 282 views)
Old 20th August 2010
Gear Head

Hi stringsound, thanks for the suggestion. I am ok now with the gefell m990 and to tell the truth , from time to time I think of getting a new vocal mic that would be though in another league...I think that would mean a lot of cash!
Kostas
Old 5th September 2010
Gefell m990

Just get M990. Killllerrrr! It has very bright 8-10 kHz range.
Old 13th November 2010
Some M990 examples.

DRY, IN THE MIX.
female and male vocals + some sax recorded thru Toft Audio EC-1 FET pre amp (Compressor ON)

Download gefell m990.rar from Sendspace.com - send big files the easy way
Old 13th November 2010
Lives for gear

I think the Gefell UMT70S or older variation are more versatile. But the M990 is surely a very good mic wich could fit your purpose. Gefell in general is a company that didn't disappoint me on mics...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search