The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
room too dead? lose base?
Old 16th May 2006
Gear Addict

room too dead? lose base?

So I have a buttload of 703/5 panels already covered that I threw in the mix room in my new proj studio (it was the worst room imaginable mirrors on walls and all parallel aweful) anyway... it's VERY dead now, but I can only hear the bass in one part of the room. What is the best way to figure out how to modify my dampening to flatten my freq. response? I don't want to just keep moving things around until it sounds good. Would posting a drawing be any help?

I have tons of convex and concave pattern sound foam along with a ton of "bass traps" which are more like 4x8 sized material wrapped 705 panels.
Old 17th May 2006

Your bass traps are straddling the corners?

Look into multiple sub-woofers there is some information on it at the Harmon-Kardon website under the WHite Paper section.

-tINY

Old 17th May 2006
Gear Addict

lol I have so many "bass traps" that almost 100% of the wall area is covered... will post a drawing to get more guidance.
Old 17th May 2006
Lives for gear

AFAIK "4x8 sized material wrapped 705 panels." would not constitute bass trapping. It would be more like broadband trapping, skewed towards the highs and mids.

Run a spectrum analysis to see what frequencies you need to kill for a start.

Maybe you need some actual bass trapping - membrane panels, helmhotz bins etc
Old 17th May 2006
Lives for gear

Hi.

I don't believe you can "trap" away all the bass. You will always here the direct sound. Either your "bass traps" aren't trapping bass low enough so what you are left with is that you've trapped everything above and still got phase cancellations in the low register. OR you have managed to trap the bass and not the highs so your highs sounds louder and creates an illusion that the low fequences are missing?

This is in no way a definite answer, just something to set your mind working.

/Cojo
Old 17th May 2006
Gear Guru

When you say a butt load, how many is that? How thick are the panels? Are you straddling corners (someone asked that but you never said yes or no)? How did you build them? How much foam and where is the foam?
Ok a lot of questions, but only because all these things matter. Depending on your room size it is best to straddle corners with 4" rigid fiberglass (more is better). To keep the room more alive you want to build the panels with a FRK facing on them so the high end is not dead in the room. Then it is best to build 2' panels and put them through out the room (without FRK) to help with the high end. Depending on your ceiling height and if you have a hard floor, it is best to cover some of the ceiling so you do not get floor to ceiling flutter.

Glenn

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search