The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Who's in Asheville?
Old 16th May 2006
Gear Addict

Who's in Asheville?

Just read a thread and it seems lot's of us in Western North Carolina / Asheville - I'm playing at Tressa's Friday night, if you want to stop by and say hey.

Lane
Old 16th May 2006
Lives for gear

I have some friends in Asheville. Im from Wilmington. Lot of those guys "tape" concerts if you want something archived to rehearse with.

Teddy
Old 13th March 2007
There is only one

wow, da cob is playing grey eagle friday night. multiple GS playing out that night. i went out last friday night to greyboy allstars... so dont know if im allowed out this friday unless we find a babysitter.
Old 13th March 2007
Gear Addict

Hey Alpha, just did a session with the Bio Diesel band at Echo Mountain sunday, great guys and they're playing Grey Eagle on Thursday, my wife and I may go.

BTW, Danny K. at Echo did great on the Studer.
Old 13th March 2007
Gear Maniac

I'm in Asheville!!

However, my wife is leaving town to go see Josh Groban with her sister. I'm home with the kids. So, I can't make it this time.

Great of you to post the gig and invite us out though... maybe next time.

Old 13th March 2007
Lives for gear

I'm in Charlotte but love visiting Asheville - great city.
Old 14th March 2007
Gear Maniac

I'll be driving through there a week from Friday. Unfortunately, I won't have time to check out any music. In fact, I've got family in Ashville. Won't have time to check them out either! Great town with a lot of great music. I saw my favorite Los Lobos concert in Ashville!
Old 14th March 2007
Slack Control Wizards are in Ashville. Slack Control Wizards

Check out the song "Save My Soul" at the "Rehearsal 11/28/2006" link

Last edited by rwhitney; 14th March 2007 at 04:49 AM.. Reason: Almost forgot about this song
Old 15th March 2007
Here for the gear

greetings from carrboro. maybe we'll see you asheville types when arcade fire roll through your fair city.
Old 15th March 2007
Lives for gear

WEEN is playing in Ashevegas next month! heh
Old 15th March 2007
Lives for gear

I'm in Greensboring, I mean Greensboro at the moment. My sister attends UNC-A.

I should go get my Moog tuned and see the show.
Old 15th March 2007
Gear Addict

Anyone who uses Zappa's "Only it for the Money" as an Avatar is granted immediate local status. Not saying if that's a good thing or not, just sayin.

When I first moved here I wanted to try a regional lager, read the tap and ordered a "Yearling", some guy with dreads sitting next to me said "Dude, you just ordered a baby deer?

Highlands Galic on draft, hmmmmm, beer.
Old 15th March 2007
Gear Guru

Damn guys we just played Broadways 2 weeks ago.. It would have been cool to meet some of you. Tonight we play The Cave in Chapel Hill and Columbia Friday and Saturday at the St Patty day fest.

Glenn
Old 15th March 2007
Gear Nut

Wilmington here....
Old 15th March 2007
Lives for gear

thinking of moving there in the future. my wifes from there. her friend plays ina band called tubak crew. know them?

she has a house there with a nice basemant.. studio maybe

im from venezuela... lived in greensboring.. heheh .. know what u mean tibbon.

now im sunny LA. theres jobs for audio engineering and producing. (well now in post though). music scene is ok.. there are more bands than audience i think. and lots of the same.

asheville is interesting, has a great downtown area, and hippies/trustafarians into cool stuff (besides drugs) but i was impressed on how open they are to electronic music which i also produced.
thats why ill like to move there.

it also has moog! i invited bob to come to my wedding but sadly it was during the time he was sick but would of love to meet him. (my inlaws knew his wife)

hope moog starts doing more electronic music festivals around there, like black mountain festival and such.

oh well, glad to hear from people over there here in GS and too bad i cant see your band. asheville is getting some bigger acts or a lot of the offbeat good bands.
(like LTJ bukem, i mean WTF! he like my hero in drum and bass) (amigos invisibles, a latin funk band from venezuela thumbsup )

anyone know of how is the studio scene over there? or everyone goes to nashville to record/produce?
Old 15th March 2007
Lives for gear

In Winston-Salem. I'll be making a trip to Asheville soon for work. I'll try to coordinate it with a good show at the Orange Peel.
Old 16th March 2007
Gear Maniac

I'm from the Greensboro area. Nice to see that we have a lot people around here from the NC.
Old 16th March 2007
Gear Guru

Durham here.
Old 16th March 2007
Here for the gear

I'm in Johnson City, a fairly big bluegrass scene about an hour west of Asheville. Going to Grey Eagle for Sleepytime Gorilla Museum on the 18th.
Old 16th March 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian paulson View Post
greetings from carrboro. maybe we'll see you asheville types when arcade fire roll through your fair city.
Hey Brian,

Good to see you here! I called last time I was at The Kitchen, but couldn't reach you. Next time, perhaps. Hope all is well.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
Old 16th March 2007
Lives for gear

I'm originally from Winston-Salem but have been in LA about 12 years. Looove asheville. My wife and I talk about moving there sometimes. I go there once every year or 2. I come to NC at least once a year. My band might be playing the coast in the fall (Seafood festival in Morehead City-go figure). You guys ever eat at Salsa in Asheville? That place rocks :-) I love the architecture and the beautiful greeenery. Nice people, too! It's like the San Francisco of south LOL.
Old 16th March 2007
Lives for gear

My wife and I used to live in Asheville, I have family there, and we'll probably move back in the next year or two. I love downtown and the general vibe of the city. Definitely a great place for artists. Cool to see GS members there!
Old 16th March 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphajerk View Post
wow, da cob is playing grey eagle friday night. multiple GS playing out that night. i went out last friday night to greyboy allstars... so dont know if im allowed out this friday unless we find a babysitter.
Hell yeah! Grey Eagle Friday night! Were playing with a really great band called the Barrelhouse Mamas....Should be a great time. Come on out and say hi and we'll start off St Pattys day weekend right!
AJ, you better show up or your ass is in some serious trouble!

Anyone in the area should give me a shout- Its all about the networking.....
Old 16th March 2007
Gear Nut

Asheville People

Hey NC people - My family is looking at relocating. My wifre is a Creative Director for large ad agency and I'm a Technology Director for a research facility as well as a part-time AE and musician.

Is there work work folks like us in NC? and - is Asville the happening place to be. Much appreciated -- Rob
Old 16th March 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by noiseintheattic View Post
Hey NC people - My family is looking at relocating. My wifre is a Creative Director for large ad agency and I'm a Technology Director for a research facility as well as a part-time AE and musician.

Is there work work folks like us in NC? and - is Asville the happening place to be. Much appreciated -- Rob
Honestly....there is not much here in those fields right now. We're too small a town to have a great need in either Advertising or Technology. That may change in a few years.

As for audio...we are beginning to get inundated with studios and engineers. We've got several very nice big studios now and countless quality project studios.

Old 16th March 2007
Gear Nut

Harrisburg here, just north of Charlotte. I spent a lot of time in the Boone/Banner Elk area in my youth, try to visit as often as possible. I would love to find some secluded mountain cabin overlooking a lake to build a studio.....maybe if I win this weekend's Powerball drawing .

NoiseInTheAttic, you might find work in the Raleigh-Durham area, maybe Charlotte. Good luck with your search.

Charlie
Old 16th March 2007
Lives for gear

My sister has a house in Winston-Salem but they bought a small condo in Asheville because they visit there so much. She says Asheville has the highest educated wait staff in America (LOL). It's because everyone just wants to live there but there aren't that many tech or scholarly jobs to go around!
Old 17th March 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by danno812 View Post
Honestly....there is not much here in those fields right now. We're too small a town to have a great need in either Advertising or Technology. That may change in a few years.

As for audio...we are beginning to get inundated with studios and engineers. We've got several very nice big studios now and countless quality project studios.

what studios or what areaof asheville?

are they production studios or just rent the studio for recording bands?
Old 17th March 2007
Lives for gear

maybe the best show i've ever played was in Asheville..
Old 17th March 2007
Gear Nut

Andi Mcdowell (sp)..She is HOT....I must say I consider western NC to be one of the prettiest places on earth ..and I have seen a bunch!...Don't live there... but SOMEDAY!

Cheers,
Ray

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search