The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Dedicated DAC for monitoring - my ears have gone to mush!
Old 16th May 2006
Lives for gear

Dedicated DAC for monitoring - my ears have gone to mush!

I normally monitor from the DA of my Rosetta. I've being a/bing some dedicated DACs (Benchmark, Lavry etc) and haven't been noticing much improvement over the Rosetta. My ears are now mush and have to stopheh

My monitoring enviroment is average/good - large decent treated room with no major problems and I use Tannoy Precision 8D's for monitors. I run ptle--->clocked to a Rosetta800(adat) and have been a/bing the DACs connected spdif.

Are you fellas noticing practical improvements, or am I in hair splitting territory here?
Old 16th May 2006
Lives for gear

I noticed a big improvement over the Rosetta with the Benchmark and Mytek. I went with the mytek above all, but the Benchmark is very nice too.
Old 16th May 2006
Lives for gear

BENCHMARK
Old 17th May 2006
I love my LavryBlack DA10.
Old 17th May 2006
Lives for gear

I understand and agree that they're fine boxes. I'm just a little concerned with my monitoring enviroment because I found the differences neglegable. I'll try again today with a fresh head now that everything is calibrated perfectly.
Old 18th May 2006
Lives for gear

How do you control the output of the Rosetta ? because that can be a big difference.
Old 18th May 2006

Compared to speakers and listening room acoustics, converters don't change the sound enough to worry about.

Spend your money on acoustic treatment and better sounding speakers.

-tINY

Old 18th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kats
I normally monitor from the DA of my Rosetta. I've being a/bing some dedicated DACs (Benchmark, Lavry etc) and haven't been noticing much improvement over the Rosetta. My ears are now mush and have to stopheh

My monitoring enviroment is average/good - large decent treated room with no major problems and I use Tannoy Precision 8D's for monitors. I run ptle--->clocked to a Rosetta800(adat) and have been a/bing the DACs connected spdif.

Are you fellas noticing practical improvements, or am I in hair splitting territory here?
I notice the same thing switching from the Rosetta to the Benchmark. I don't think it's hair splitting territory. There are things that I like about both converters though.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search