The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
more DA (16CH) for analog summing, pls help me decide
Old 11th March 2012
Gear Addict

more DA (16CH) for analog summing, pls help me decide

Hi fellow sluts,

currently i am building step by step my mixing room with more and more analog outboard. Want to get partly out of the box.

Currently I am on a MH 2882 2D+ . 8 IN/OUT are ok for using my external gear and printing it back to the daw. However I got a Neve 8816 for analog summing last year. I would like to build a set up like this :

DAW
into
8 IN/OUTs to Patchbay to print analog gear ( currently 2882 maybe Apollo in future )
into
DA 16 Channels OUT
into
Neve 8816
into
2 Bus Gear ( Chandler TG-1 , Hammer EQ, Kush Clariphonic )
into
Portico Analog Tape Sim ( maybe CAPI Missing Link in the Future )
into
2 CH AD ( Currently back into 2882...would like to add an UA 2192 in the Future)

Now I need help with the selection of the DA. I am looking into following Options :

Lynx Aurora ( rather pricey with 16CH )

SSL Alpha Link Madi ( 24CH and supposed conversion quality not as top notch as Apogee and Lynx )

or get a used Symphoy PICe 32 Card and a DA16X.

Currently I am favoring the used Apogee Symphony DA16X + PCIe Card.

Working on a Mac Pro ( 2010 ). Are there known issues when combining interfaces like that ? I need to add 16DA ( do not need the additional AD ) to my current 8 IN/OUT.

I doubt it would be good to add it all via Firew Wire. That is why I am a little into the idea of adding the PCIe Card. What do you think ? Comments on the overall signal chain are appreciated as well

Kind regards
tom
Old 11th March 2012
Gear Addict

Anybody using DA16X in conjunction with a different FW Interface ? ( Metric Halo in my case ). As well as anybody using it to have 16 OUTs for analog summing ?

Kind regards
Old 11th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomteontour View Post
Anybody using DA16X in conjunction with a different FW Interface ? ( Metric Halo in my case ). As well as anybody using it to have 16 OUTs for analog summing ?

Kind regards
Tons of people use the DA16x for summing.Why don't you just get another used 2882?

Sent from my PC36100 using Gearslutz App
Old 11th March 2012
Lives for gear

MAudio Profire Lightbridge and 2 "B"Word ADA8000 or even 4 for an extra 2 sets of 8i/o via ADAT.

Don't get caught up in the "B"Word and it's history of crappy gear...The ADA8000 sounds just as good as the big boys and can be had for $150 a pop.! Yep you can get 32 channels of great sound conversion for a grand.

If you find better "Bang-for-Buck", please let me know...I have 6 of them alone side an Lynx Aurora, Rosetta 800 and various other DA/AD converters. I've done the shootouts and been suggesting the ADA8000 for 5 years now.
Old 11th March 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonT View Post
MAudio Profire Lightbridge and 2 "B"Word ADA8000 or even 4 for an extra 2 sets of 8i/o via ADAT.

Don't get caught up in the "B"Word and it's history of crappy gear...The ADA8000 sounds just as good as the big boys and can be had for $150 a pop.! Yep you can get 32 channels of great sound conversion for a grand.

If you find better "Bang-for-Buck", please let me know...I have 6 of them alone side an Lynx Aurora, Rosetta 800 and various other DA/AD converters. I've done the shootouts and been suggesting the ADA8000 for 5 years now.
... now I am curious about the upcoming comments on that Thanks first of all

And just to make sure : searching ideal wise for a non FW interface. As I suppose 16 DAs + 8 In/Out ( maybe even DSP using Apollo in the future ) + possible Glpyh Hard Disc via FW800 might max the bandwith out.. Especially when tracking overdubs with low latency while having the mix up..
Old 11th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomteontour View Post
... now I am curious about the upcoming comments on that Thanks first of all

And just to make sure : searching ideal wise for a non FW interface. As I suppose 16 DAs + 8 In/Out ( maybe even DSP using Apollo in the future ) + possible Glpyh Hard Disc via FW800 might max the bandwith out.. Especially when tracking overdubs with low latency while having the mix up..
After listening to this song recorded on a RME UFX I am pretty impressed.It was recorded with the stock pres in it and Advanced Audio CM-47SE mic on vocals.For what that thing can do it might be worth checking out.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/7658265-post916.html
Old 12th March 2012
Gear Addict

Thanks, but sorry : as posted : looking for a non fire wire solution.. do not need the INs actually.

Only need to expand for 16 OUTs and suppose I could geht "tight" in regard of FW bandwith, I suppose. Do not need any Pres either. Just need something decent to feed my hungry summing mixer

Would appreciate on thoughts about ADDA Quality of Apogee Symponie DA16x compared to SSL Madi Alpha Link AX as well

thanx

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search