The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
S/PDIF & Word Clock
Old 11th March 2012
Here for the gear

S/PDIF & Word Clock

If I'm running spdif (coax) -> OUT from audio interface, and syncing PTDigi 003 to that as clock source, would there be any benefit to also running word clock out of the same interface to the 003?

Would it be redundant / unnecessary? Or is any greater stability achieved by using Word Clock in conjunction with spdif?

I have a fairly modest project studio, and have not tinkered with Word Clock. But lately I've encountered what I think is jitter caused by inferior clocking.

Thanks!
Old 11th March 2012
Lives for gear
wordclock is more stable
Old 11th March 2012
I use the most important ADC on internal clock, and feed all devices that clock source. Generally, yea, I find that using a short word clock BNC lead from master device to slave device, over using the clock embedded with the source feed, to be a better way to go. However, I think it depends on the recovery of the SPDIF or Digital Device. Perhaps the 003 SPDIF input does not have great recovery, but.....how stable is the clock feeding it?
Old 11th March 2012
Here for the gear

1st off, thx for both responses

I'm currently testing word clock out option & (so far) not encountering unwanted artifacts.

I've implemented an older piece of gear (that was my primary interface for years when tracking with MOTU DP) for use in Pro Tools. The pres on my 003 seem lifeless, and I'm hoping to resurrect what always sounded good to my (untrained) ears.

I just wanted to make sure there's was no down side to using both.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search