The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Best Tube Amp Head for Cheap
Old 10th March 2012
Gear Head

Best Tube Amp Head for Cheap

I have a Gibson Les Paul Studio. I am wanting to sell my Marshall solid state head and buy a tube amp head. What would make my guitar sound beast for Pop Punk and Hardcore. I have been looking into the Peavey Valveking. Any suggestions? I am looking for something no more than $600 since I am on a budget. Thanks.
Old 10th March 2012
Gear Addict

I like my dsl50 :D
Old 10th March 2012
Lives for gear

Check out the laney aor series heads. Check the vids on youtube. They go for about 400.... Let me know if your interested i have one for sale (replaced with a marshall jmp)
Old 10th March 2012
Lives for gear

Just get an old Bassman head and throw whatever pedal(s) in front that the gig may call for. For pop punk with a Les Paul, diming all the knobs is often all that's required.
Old 10th March 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagelove View Post
Check out the laney aor series heads. Check the vids on youtube. They go for about 400.... Let me know if your interested i have one for sale (replaced with a marshall jmp)

Which model?
Old 10th March 2012
Gear Addict

if this amp is for recording, and i assume it is. i would say to get the most simple, single channel amp you can find. If you are going for "bang for buck" you dont want to invest in a amp with a million features that all add up to a bunch of mediocre sounds.. its MUCH better to have a simple, versatile tube amp that has a great tone, and will react to changes in guitars, pedals, and playing style.

Also remember, that a nice cabinet, and more importantly, the speakers in it, are very important. if you have a solid state marshall head now, them im going to take a leap and say that you have one of the cabinets that accompanies that head. Those cabs come with some pretty terrible sounding speakers. DO NOT THINK THAT SPEAKERS ARENT AS IMPORTANT... THAT MICROPHONE THINGY GOES IN FRONT OF THEM!!

so, unless you are going to replace the speakers/cab you have, i would recommend a combo amp in your price range. used will be the best bang for the buck. a tweed fender baseman (what every good marshall is based on) would be a great bet. amazing cleans, even better dirty, with a overdrive or distortion it can SHRED.

if you have a NICE cab allready, with NICE speakers.. then you might be able to find a used 50 watt marshall, i personally feel like the best sounds you get will be from a marshall without a master volume.. so a USED 50 watt plexi reissue, or a JTM45 reissue might fit your price range (again, only if you already have the cab sorted out)

when it comes down to it, go for quality, over volume. so if none of the amps i mentioned are affordable.. try and find a rockin little 15 watter or something. a nice small amp will yeild much better results than a cheap big one.

mike
Old 10th March 2012
Gear Maniac
I really like my Peavey Valveking. Check it out.
Old 11th March 2012
Lives for gear

Old bassmans are great. You can usually find a few on craigslist. Once in a while a JCM 800 will fall that cheap if your lucky. Maybe an AC30 if you have low wattage speakers to put under it
Old 11th March 2012
Gear Nut

For cheap look for a Plush. I played one, once back in the 70's and still remember how great it sounded. That model was 100 watt with reverb and 2 15" speaker cab. They are butt ugly but sound great and are sleepers. I play a 1964 Silvertone I think its a 1664? 2- 6l6 with 2-12" they are nice for fairly cheap. Good Luck
Old 11th March 2012
Lives for gear

You didn't specify what kind of power, tone or price you're aiming for so you are getting suggestions with a wide range of variety.

Do you want a 5-10 watt amp for studio work? Club gigging volume? Concerts? Coffeehouse?

Someone had a clip in the High End forum the other day of a Blackstar combo cranked for some heavy distortion. Not my thing exactly, but if its yours it was very impressive. It was guitar straight into the amp with an LDC in front of the cab.

jn
Old 11th March 2012
Lives for gear
For $600 for tubes you have 3 choices:

1. Low powered, multichannel tube heads: 10-15w with a few switches and knobs to vary the response. They'll record well, they're fine for small gigs, but if you're in a basement doing punk/hardcore they won't cut it...

2. Multichannel amps built to the lowest price point in China. I have nothing against China, but when they build to a price point, you're looking at disposable amps. Things like the Peavey Windsor or Valveking, much of the Blackstar stuff, the lower end tube Marshalls and so on. When it breaks it's really not fixable, so you can rock out really well (because they generally sound great) but after a year or so of touring you're back here asking the same question.

3. Simple, single channel, road tested amps. These'd be the silverface bassmen, the Deluxe Reverb (reissue), the JCM800, amp kits from Mojo or Ceriatone if they're assembled by someone competent...

And, as someone mentioned, you need a speaker cab. Someone like Avatar can put you in a decent 212 with decent speakers for $250-300. I dunno if you can make that work with a decent head for $600... Still, a Bassman or JCM800 with a 212 cab for a total of $800 won't ever depreciate and can be serviced to keep running basically forever, so it's a better investment than a cheaper multichannel amp.

There's a lot of other stuff out there if you're playing punk. For example, the Peavey Butcher of the 70s was a 150w tube head with 6L6s, the clean sound was basic but useable and it takes pedals well. Sometimes you can find them for less than $400. Same with some of the 70-80s Ampeg amps. Occasional other off brand stuff shows up (Red knob twins or Super 60s, Peavey Classic 50s, Crate Blue Voodoo or Vintage 50...). Just hang in the backroom of the music stores where they keep the stuff they don't quite know how to sell and play em till you find the right one.
Old 11th March 2012
Gear Nut

epiphone valve junior with bitmo mod. like 200 new. sounds great!
Old 11th March 2012
Lives for gear

Jet City JCA20H, JCA22H for recording, or JCA50H for playing loud and proud. I am shocked how good this little thingie sounds. Pair with right speaker, and your'e winner. I found that this amp (JCA20H in my case) sounds best with Eminence Legend or GT12-75 speakers. For extra gain, put 808 in front of amp and you're in high gain territory. This amp easily beats a lot of amps in much higher price range.
Old 11th March 2012
Gear Maniac

Fender Pro Jr. with NOS tubes
Old 11th March 2012
Gear Head

I'm playing pop/punk ( like polar bear club, wonder years, such gold) with an orange tiny terror. Its great for studio with its 7 watt option. Simple controls make it easy to dial in a good tone. I hate those Marshall solid state heads. Always got kids coming in the studio with those and it shocks me. I guess they buy them more for the looks than the sound.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search