The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Someone Like You Piano Sound
Old 10th March 2012
Gear Nut

Someone Like You Piano Sound

Hey guys,

I recently recorded a cover of Someone Like You by Adele. I'm trying to get the exact piano sound in the original song.
I read somewhere that the piano recorded in the original song is done using a midi keyboard and not a grand piano. With which piano VSTi was it recorded?
I currently have Alicia's Keys Native Instruments piano VSTi. Any ideas how I should tackle the mix in order to get the exact piano sound in the original song?
How do you guys mix a song that has piano and vocals only? What tweaks do you do to the piano VSTi to get this kind of sound?

Thanks
Old 10th March 2012
Lives for gear

I don't hear any special or abnormal about the piano sound. Why are you having a problem using Alicia's Keys for that?
Old 10th March 2012
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by popmann View Post
I don't hear any special or abnormal about the piano sound. Why are you having a problem using Alicia's Keys for that?
There is nothing abnormal about the piano sound in Alicia's keys. But it definitely needs a lot of tweaking to get a similar sound to that of Someone Like You.
Any ideas what I shall do to get this sound?
Old 11th March 2012
Gear Nut

Anyone?
Old 11th March 2012
Lives for gear

Why not just dial in a great piano sound with what you have and inject a bit of your own personality into it?
Unless the singer performing on your cover version sounds exactly like Adele, I don't see much to gain from getting your piano to sound exactly like the original either.

It's just music, make people feel something with it, cover or not.
Personally, I can't stand when covers try to sound really close to the original in any way.
Nothing is more musically deflating than to hear people go through so many efforts to make a carbon copy of an otherwise great song to begin with.
But I digress, just had to get that off my chest.

Furthermore, judging by your last 2 sentences, it sounds like you have a few things to learn, starting with the tools at your disposal.
There are lots of threads here on GS where you can read about Adele, recording, VSTi, piano, vocals, mixing, etc.
Dig in, learn, let the fun begin.

Good luck.
Old 11th March 2012
Lives for gear

My point was that there was nothing special about the Adele piano sound. Sounds like a piano...how nuanced do you need to get? Someone can play that on any software piano from the last decade and get a track that no one (meaning listener) would notice a difference in.

If you had the exact piano...you wouldn't have the (likely analog) EQs/compression or the reverb added...so, it still wouldn't be exact.

I will bow out now...because I am seriously anal retentive about sonic quality...and I don't care--I've got tracks on the album I'm working on done with Gigapiano, Bosendorfer290 in Giga, and my real Yammy U3. I own AK, which sounds amazingly like my U3. They're all pretty interchangeable...except the Bose (which if memory serves, I just used the room MICS with giga's direct)--they're all nicely sampled, unlooped Yamaha grands (and upright grand for the u3). Do they sound exactly the same? No...but, with piano/voice, playing a simple arpegiation like that song, they're utterly interchangeable to me. Real has the best sound-AK sounds like what it is-the same without the interplay of notes on the soundboard and a laid down grand's stereo perspective...

I wish you luck in trying to exactly duplicate it...though I really don't understand the purpose.
Old 11th March 2012
Gear Head

Sounds like an upright. Full size grands don't get the sound of shorter strings, smaller harp etc. I like the Synthogy uprights. "Modern" model and play with top open/closed.

z App
Old 11th March 2012
Gear Guru

Adele's piano sounds like a lifelessly programmed midi piano to me, no nuance or dynamics to my ears.

Play with your velocity settings until you get the right amount of attack/brightness. Reverb is a big part of the sound, since you're new to this that's gonna be the hardest part to replicate. Hint: roll off the top end of the reverb.

If you can muster the drama and emotional impact of her vocal performance, I dare say it doesn't matter what your piano sounds like. If, on the other hand, you can't muster an emotional vocal performance, I dare say it doesn't matter what your piano sounds like.

Put another way: if you're gonna spend time and energy replicating something, make sure you're focusing on the right thing.

Gregory Scott - ubk
Old 11th March 2012
Gear Nut

Thank you all for your replies.
I've never tried to EQ reverbs. I guess I shall start by doing so!
Old 11th March 2012
Gear Guru

I think this is the piano they used.

Yamaha Disklavier 6' 6" grand piano: Midi in & out
Old 11th March 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k View Post
Adele's piano sounds like a lifelessly programmed midi piano to me, no nuance or dynamics to my ears.

Play with your velocity settings until you get the right amount of attack/brightness. Reverb is a big part of the sound, since you're new to this that's gonna be the hardest part to replicate. Hint: roll off the top end of the reverb.

If you can muster the drama and emotional impact of her vocal performance, I dare say it doesn't matter what your piano sounds like. If, on the other hand, you can't muster an emotional vocal performance, I dare say it doesn't matter what your piano sounds like.

Put another way: if you're gonna spend time and energy replicating something, make sure you're focusing on the right thing.

Gregory Scott - ubk
badabing on all counts, as usual......heh

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search