The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Reslo Sound Ribbon Mic - what is this?
Old 10th March 2012
Gear Nut

Reslo Sound Ribbon Mic - what is this?

Went to the home of a gear designer/tech, and he showed me a microphone he picked up for a song. I don't have pictures of it yet, but it looks exactly, like this:
http://a2.ec-images.myspacecdn.com/i...db62ccdc/l.jpg
It was interesting, as There's no specific model number on it. the label on it only states "250/600 ohms".
We tested the transformer in the mic. The tranny has no marking on it. on the plates it was handwritten "SC440" in black crayon or similar material. The response curve is very good. 1db gradual drop at 200k. very very flat.
Can any direct me to the series, or model this mic is from? Or, if possible, who made the transformer?
Old 10th March 2012
Gear Addict

I have a Film Industries M8, which looks very, very similar - I know they're from the same era, at least i think so! Mine's often been described as "a bit like a reslo"
Old 11th March 2012
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyZippy View Post
I have a Film Industries M8, which looks very, very similar - I know they're from the same era, at least i think so! Mine's often been described as "a bit like a reslo"
How do you like your M8? have you ever taken it apart?
Old 11th March 2012
Gear Addict

someone here in L.A. found a case of these un-opened in a storage shed a few years ago. sold them in a day.
It's a very cool - restricted frequency (read lo-fi) ribbon.
Super bad ass as a crushed front of kit mic, and anything else that needs some weirdness.

The 2 sides are labeled SPOKEN and CROONER.

if you come across one, get it.

dd
Old 11th March 2012
Gear Nut

Hmm... so it's a lowfi mic. looking at the transformer's performance I would have throught otherwise. might be a problem coming from the ribbon motor. a swap of motor, maybe? what do we think?
By the way, there weren't "crooner/spoken" labels on mine. I suppose the front side, with full ribbon exposure would be the crooner side, and the 100% covered(60% space covered by the magnet itself, 40% covered by half inch thick of what looks like rockwool) would be the spoken.
Old 11th March 2012
Gear Addict

Love it on drum vibe, crushed with 1176 or even an la2a on full whack
Old 11th March 2012
Gear Addict

I've got a couple and love them.

I'd say their best uses are drums and horns. Put a good alto, a tenor, and a trumpet in front of one of these and get instant Memphis Horns

Having said this, I've never been disapointed with the results. They sound good on pretty much anything.

There's a ton of good info here: Reslo ribbon microphone

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search