The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
a clean pre to pair with sm7b , at 2035
Old 10th March 2012
  #1
Gear Addict
a clean pre to pair with sm7b , at 2035

i am looking for a 1 channel preamp to pair with my shure sm7b and at 2035 mics, i will mostly be doing vocals and voice overs and very little acoustic guitar strumming and not even solo recording with the guitar, so it will mainly be for vocals, and i sing any genre except rap and a little r&b.

what im looking for is a very "clean" pre when pushing it to high gains for the sm7b, i was initially looking at the FMR RNP as my initial choice for a preamp but after reading that its noisy when you push it to high gains i started having my doubts about if it would pair nice with the sm7b or not.

so to sum up, im looking for a the best and cleanest 1 channel preamp to pair with sm7b and at 2035 for around $500. is their any pre out there that has what im lookin for for that price or should i just stick to the fmr rnp with its compressor rnc?

thanks..
Old 10th March 2012
  #2
Here for the gear
 

Try getting a cloud lifter, its a phantom powered in line pre which gives about 25 dB of very clean gain before your normal preamp. I have one and honestly wouldn't consider using my 7b on anything but loud guitar cabinets without it.
Old 10th March 2012
  #3
Lives for gear
 
subspace's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by fito_88 View Post
so to sum up, im looking for a the best and cleanest 1 channel preamp to pair with sm7b and at 2035 for around $500. is their any pre out there that has what im lookin for for that price or should i just stick to the fmr rnp with its compressor rnc?

thanks..
Nice description of the Focusrite ISA One, 80dB of clean gain and right on your price mark.
Old 11th March 2012
  #4
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Feine View Post
Try getting a cloud lifter, its a phantom powered in line pre which gives about 25 dB of very clean gain before your normal preamp. I have one and honestly wouldn't consider using my 7b on anything but loud guitar cabinets without it.
sounds like a good idea , but actually i dont understand the purpose of the phantom power in it, is it for condenser mics before connecting the mic to the pre? although i heard that the cloudlifter is only for dynamic and ribbon mics
Old 11th March 2012
  #5
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by subspace View Post
Nice description of the Focusrite ISA One, 80dB of clean gain and right on your price mark.
is it better than the RNP in terms of clean gain? another noobie question about it, is the ISA a "tube" preamp? sry for my ignorance
Old 11th March 2012
  #6
Gear Addict
 
Kabby's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by fito_88 View Post
sounds like a good idea , but actually i dont understand the purpose of the phantom power in it, is it for condenser mics before connecting the mic to the pre? although i heard that the cloudlifter is only for dynamic and ribbon mics
The cloudlifter is for adding gain to ribbons & dynamics before the preamp. The 48v is what powers the cloudlifter, it doesn't pass 48v to the mic. My sm7b loves this device, you can use any pre with the cloudlifter inline.
Old 11th March 2012
  #7
Here for the gear
 
Luisdiaz's Avatar
avalon737 ans shuresm7b

i athinking to use an avalon 737 and a shure sm7b my question are... its a good idea to put that together or not
Old 11th March 2012
  #8
Lives for gear
 
Charlie-O's Avatar
 

I'm using a Avalon 737 with an sm7b in my studio right this second. Noisy as heck. You have to turn the gain all the way up, with the high gain button engaged, noise city! Find something cleaner with lots of gain. My other pre is doing other duties or else I would use it.
Old 11th March 2012
  #9
Gear Addict
 

Dav bg1 is awesome.
Old 11th March 2012
  #10
Here for the gear
 
Luisdiaz's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-O View Post
I'm using a Avalon 737 with an sm7b in my studio right this second. Noisy as heck. You have to turn the gain all the way up, with the high gain button engaged, noise city! Find something cleaner with lots of gain. My other pre is doing other duties or else I would use it.
tanks for the help ....if you find som way to make that work and tell me i really apriciate becose that is evrything i have
Old 11th March 2012
  #11
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-O View Post
I'm using a Avalon 737 with an sm7b in my studio right this second. Noisy as heck. You have to turn the gain all the way up, with the high gain button engaged, noise city! Find something cleaner with lots of gain. My other pre is doing other duties or else I would use it.
have u tried ur sm7b with any other "clean" pre?
Old 11th March 2012
  #12
Lives for gear
 
subspace's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by fito_88 View Post
is it better than the RNP in terms of clean gain? another noobie question about it, is the ISA a "tube" preamp? sry for my ignorance
The Focusrite ISA is not a tube preamp, it's a transformer-coupled solid-state preamp design by Rupert Neve.
I have not used an RNP but it's limited to 60dB of gain and this is from their website regarding noise performance:
"The RNP is relatively noisy when evaluated by lab measurement Many mic pres these days (including the really cheap ones) have very low noise floors (EINs of -127dB or better). The RNP's EIN of -120dB is obviously not as "good" as these others."
For comparison, the ISA offers an additional 20dB of available gain with this EIN measurement:
"• EIN (equivalent input noise) = -126dB measured at 60dB of gain with 150 Ohm terminating impedance and 22Hz/22kHz band-pass filter"
Old 11th March 2012
  #13
Gear Head
 

The triton fethead is great with an sm7b. It gives something like a 20 db clean boost, and you can use it with whatever pre you already have. It has a bit of a character too...I love it. Best of all: $99
Old 11th March 2012
  #14
Lives for gear
 
Piedpiper's Avatar
+1 on the Cloudlifter. A bit more expensive than the Fethead but better, and with more gain...
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
pan60 / So Much Gear, So Little Time
70
superburtm / High End
28
shangoe / So Much Gear, So Little Time
5

Forum Jump
Forum Jump