The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Studio Policy:
Old 16th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Studio Policy:

I'm in the process of writing up my studio policy agreement for the studio.
I'm an unsure as how to approach the crediting application, like how do i word it?
"Credit to be made to the recording engineer and mixing engineer on bands album"
This is more towards an independent artist. Anyone willing to lend a hand.

Regards,
Beck heh
Old 16th May 2006
Lives for gear

Why would you have this in your contract? Album credits are by artist discretion.
Old 16th May 2006
Lives for gear

you forgot an apostrophe
Old 16th May 2006
You can lead a horse to water - but you cant force him to drink..
Old 17th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules
great point jules. what recourse would you seek against an indie band that either didn't credit you or did so improperly?
Old 17th May 2006
Lives for gear

Technically, they don't have any obligation to credit you whatsoever. Your services are for hire, unless that is stipulated in a contract that you have the band sign when they record w/ you. Which is not really a standard practice. If it's something you are worried about, I'd go the "verbal route" with such a scenario: "guys, I'm just getting started with this studio.. it would be great if you remember to put my name/ the studio name on your insert."

It may be "****ty" of them to skip out on giving you credit, but they are not obligated to do so.

If you are recording a band on "spec," it's something that you may have more of a right to ask for, perhaps even in writing with the spec agreement.
Old 17th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpianomn
great point jules. what recourse would you seek against an indie band that either didn't credit you or did so improperly?
Another thing about the "indie" recording industry, word of mouth is king. If you ever did feel you had the "right" to go after a band for credit or something, it's way better for you not to do so. Can you imagine what it would do to your reputation.. even if you had a lawyer write them a nasty letter? "Dude.. dont record there! I hear the engineer threatened to sue my friend's band!"

So... if someone stiffs you on a cred, it's okay to mention it to them, but in teh end just let it go. It's most likely a rare case anyway. Stick with the verbal nudge at the start if you are worried, rather than paper and signatures for such a thing.
Old 17th May 2006
Gear Addict

I did a mix recently where I asked the band NOT to credit me on the album.
Old 17th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Actually yeah thinking about it now...thanks guys.
May i ask, is there any good music business books or online webpages?

I'd like to have all my figures and paperwork, and sort out a business plan before
i go ahead with making my studio somewhat commerical, any tips etc are must appreciated
Old 17th May 2006
Lives for gear

"everything you need to know about the music business."

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/068...Fencoding=UTF8

Very good book.. takes you from the ground up in simple terms, yet it's pretty comprehensive.

Another great one is "this business of music." It has numerous sample contracts for management, labels, studios, artists, etc.
Old 17th May 2006
Gear Maniac

thank you very much, i'll check those titles out.
Old 17th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
What does George Harrisson have to do with all this?
Old 17th May 2006
FX smörgåsbord user

Here's the wording from my agreement:

Quote:
CREDIT

Credit for Mixer shall be displayed on outside packaging and liner notes of all copies of any Record in which the Mix(es) is/are embodied on and shall read:
Mixed by Charles Dye
Credit for Mixing Studio shall be displayed in the liner notes of all copies of any Record in which the Mix(es) is/are embodied on and shall read:
Mixed at The Gate, Miami
Credit for Engineer shall be displayed in the liner notes of all copies of any Record in which the Master Recording(s) is/are embodied on and shall read:
Recorded by Charles Dye
Credit for Recording Studio shall be displayed in the liner notes of all copies of any Record in which the Master Recording(s) is/are embodied on and shall read:
Recorded at The Gate, Miami
Wording similar to this is fairly standard in mixing +/or recording agreements. You can tweak it to suit your needs, but this should give you a good starting place.

As it's been said, there's really no way to mandate your client to credit you properly, but @ least you can agree in advance how your credits should read. And usually that's sufficient to make it a reality.

I hope this helps.

Best, C
Old 17th May 2006

Quote:
I think Stan Laurel said it best:

"You can lead a horse to water - but a pencil must be lead."
Old 17th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Dye
Here's the wording from my agreement:

Wording similar to this is fairly standard in mixing +/or recording agreements. You can tweak it to suit your needs, but this should give you a good starting place.

As it's been said, there's really no way to mandate your client to credit you properly, but @ least you can agree in advance how your credits should read. And usually that's sufficient to make it a reality.

I hope this helps.

Best, C
Thank you! thats what i was after.
Old 22nd May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by astronmr20
"everything you need to know about the music business."
yes, a must read!
Old 22nd May 2006
Lives for gear
It's certainly pretty standard stuff in a producer agreement... and successful mixers may have contracts that request a credit...
but the key is CONTRACTS.

if you have a contract, you can ask for "reasonable efforts" to enforce the credit request.
But studios rarely have a contract with the producer or artiste or label.
I wouldn't contractually guarantee a studio a credit! And I always DO credit them... but I also can't put the artiste or label at risk to be sued if a credit is missed.

It's a lot nicer to stay in touch and ASK for a credit when the time comes... and far more likely to WORK, than a probably unenforceable "agreement"

If you simply changed the language to say "credit is REQUESTED for the studio, engineer ,,," I think you'd be better off.

my penny's worth.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search