The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
JLM 99V sample - recorded direct to 2 track 1/2"
Old 16th May 2006
Gear Nut

JLM 99V sample - recorded direct to 2 track 1/2"

Howdy Folks,

As promised, here is an audio sample of a recording i did with a JLM Audio 99V pre-amp. I was recording a very dynamic singer/acoustic guitarist with the following signal chain:

Vox - Neumann CMV 563 (M7 cap) - Telefunken V72 - Chandler Germanium (line amp) - EAR 660

Acoustic Gtr - Neumann U67 (figure 8) - JLM Audio 99V - Manley Massive Passive

After experimenting with tracking to protools at 24/96 or 24/48 through Crane Song HEDD, to 24 track 2" and to Ampex 102 2 track 1/2", I found the ATR 102 to be the fattest & warmest recording medium. Once I had filled the reel I dumped into tools through Crane Song HEDD @ 24/96 & bounced to 16/44.

Please note, this is a rough mix! The artist's name is Jackie Marshall - if you dig this song, check out her site at www.jackiemarshall.com

Cheerio,
Bent

ps I'll post the pop/r & b vox I recorded through the JLM 99V asap! heh
Attached Files

BANYAN 16BIT RUFF 2.m4a (4.94 MB, 234 views)

Old 16th May 2006
Gear Addict

Hey thanks heaps Bent,

Guitars sound very nice.

99v Vox would be sensational. Also if you could post some JLM TG samples, that would be massively appreciated.

Thanks heaps for your time and effort.

A+ and a golden star

Rez
Old 16th May 2006
Gear Addict

What JLM TG?
Old 17th May 2006
Lives for gear

Noice.

Cheers Bent.

thumbsup
Old 17th May 2006
Gear Addict

Hi Jules,

I haven't been around here long, and I massively rate your knowledge, sense of humor and patience in moderating this board... so this is not at all in any way a criticism... just a question.

I just was wondering why moogus's posts were deleted. Obviously he works for JLM - which he made very clear in his post. But I for one am very interested in what he had to say, seeing as the thread was specifically discussing their product (which doesn't have much exposure or information available elsewhwere). i don't think he was being pushy in any way.

I guess it's about precedent though. If you had manufacturers of other gear here all the time pushing their product it would be hard to seperate opinion from spin.

Anyway, thanks for all your efforts.

Cheers - Rez
Old 17th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Wow I wasnt expecting that...

Ive seen plenty of other gear manufacturers talking on here about the merits of their wares.

What did I do wrong/differently?

M
Old 17th May 2006
Lives for gear

Curious.......
Old 17th May 2006
Lives for gear

I am curious as well... There are quite a few manufacturers here that discuss their products at will with no interjection.

Why do I get the feeling this has more to do with the TG preamp then JLM.
Old 17th May 2006
Gear Nut

Why do I get the feeling this has more to do with the TG preamp then JLM. [/QUOTE]

Except this thread was not an audio sample of the TG, it's for the 99V.....

Thanks for the kind words Reza & Tubthumper :^) I'll post more samples soon! Is anyone interested in hearing the different samples of tracking to 2", 1/2" & protools? I also did some tests recording vocals through germanium, v72 & 99V. Lemme know what you guys wanna hear....

Cheerio,
Bent
Old 17th May 2006
Gear Addict

Hey Bent,

Thanks heaps for offering those samples - you're a champ. The more the merrier I say.

I'm just trying to make a decision on a front-end for my home studio. I can afford two stereo channels of great pre amp goodness - so I want something clean and something with attitude.

Do you think that a stereo TG and a stereo 99v would cover most bases for a home set-up? As opposed to say two germaniums and a 99v? Or two Germaniums and two Buzz Audio pre's???

So many options - it's doing my head in.

I'd love to hear the 99v against the Germ.

I'm mainly looking to track a broad range of vocals (folk, pop, punk, rap, ragga), as well as bass guitars, guitars and synths (obviously don't have to have pre's for my synths, but just to give them more life).

Thanks again for the samples and any thoughts as to what the pre's would work well on.

Cheers - Rez
Old 17th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bent sounds

Thanks for the kind words Reza & Tubthumper :^) I'll post more samples soon! Is anyone interested in hearing the different samples of tracking to 2", 1/2" & protools? I also did some tests recording vocals through germanium, v72 & 99V. Lemme know what you guys wanna hear....

Cheerio,
Bent
If it's not too much hassle Bent I would be very interested in hearing the diffs between the digital and tape recording media. Not to mention the different pres on vocal if you have the time!

Thanks again.
Old 17th May 2006
Lives for gear

[QUOTE=bent sounds]Why do I get the feeling this has more to do with the TG preamp then JLM.
Quote:

Except this thread was not an audio sample of the TG, it's for the 99V.....
Bent

really? I didn't notice... I was to busy reading the parts about the JLM TG preamp.

Im just going off the question asked right before Moogus posted (which have now been deleted). There have been a lot of threats regarding lawsuits & mythical patents when it comes to EMI designs.

cool clip though...
Old 17th May 2006
Gear Head

Thanks everyone for the 20+ emails and phone calls today asking about this thread and what was up with the deleting of Matt's posts and 99v sound files. I found out about it this morning when Matt turned up looking like he had been shot and told me about it. (And I thought it was just a story to cover why he was late). I don't see the problem as Matt's opinions are his own and he does more recording and Mastering from his studio than the bit of soldering he does for JLM and he is always very clear about the fact that he works here. From the links you guys sent me on some other manufacturers threads that are similar I cannot see any difference either.

Jules if you could give some explanation since others besides myself are asking it would be appreciated so we know where the boundary is and so it is not over stepped again.

Thanks
Old 17th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Heres the clip I posted earlier, which contains male and female vocals recorded with our 99V and for now what Ill call 'another pre we make'. This is in response to reza's request above. Its a fairly rough take with a few plosives on the mics as it was these peoples first time in a studio.

Signal paths were:

Male vox - Neumann CMV551 (JLM modded) - 99V - HEDD

Fem vox - Rode Classic II - 'other pre' - HEDD

Guitar - Beyer M200 - MCI 400 series pre + eq - Layla24

The recording was live with the performers sitting within 1m of eachother in my laundry (studio A) so you can hear a little bleed between the mics.

If anyone wants more details or why I chose each pre for the job, just ask.

Hope this is useful.

M
Attached Files

make me down a pallet.mp3 (4.11 MB, 164 views)

Old 17th May 2006
Gear Addict

Those vocals sound a little thin.
Sorry to say that but that is my opinion . The male vox I feel would be better suited to a bit more lower middle prescence.
Are the preamps available with Jensen transformers?
Old 17th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUSCO
Those vocals sound a little thin.
Sorry to say that but that is my opinion . The male vox I feel would be better suited to a bit more lower middle prescence.
Are the preamps available with Jensen transformers?

I wasnt really going for that kind of sound, but thats cool, your opinion is still interesting.

We can put any transformers in the 99V pre, that particular one (mine) has a Lundahl 1578.

M
Old 17th May 2006
[QUOTE=Ziggy!!]
Quote:
There have been a lot of threats regarding lawsuits & mythical patents when it comes to EMI designs..
This gives some clues. I am afraid we will have to pick this topic up in about 2 weeks as I have a house move & the Paris AES (and GS booth & party there) to pack for all at the same time. In the meantime carry on! Best regards to all. thumbsup
Old 18th May 2006
Gear Addict

It never ceases to amaze me how forum threads, no matter how harmless, can turn to scandal and outrage at any moment.

I think being a complete noob here, I'll just butt out of this one and let the big boys rumble (*grabs pop corn*)

Rez
Old 18th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Ive got a better idea. How about we get the thread back on track instead being pushed around by nameless faceless individuals who have nothing to do with what were talking about.

If anyone has any more questions please feel free to ask them. And if anyone else watching this thread has a problem with it, why dont you come on and tell us about it.

Does that sound reasonable? This is our forum after all...

M
Old 18th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
"Originally Posted by bent sounds

There have been a lot of threats regarding lawsuits & mythical patents when it comes to EMI designs.."

for the record - i never wrote the second sentence of this "quote" jules has posted from me regarding lawsuits....

jules - your opinions are your opinions and i respect that, but i'm appalled that you have put your own words into my quote!

Bent

thats not the case, Bent... Inhale! ...Exhale! relax...

It was me that said these things, as you can see the original quote markers right above which include my name. The quotes just got messed up somehow from when you originally quoted me... He is not putting his words in your mouth! Jules is a very respectable lad... try not to hold the fact that he is a pom against him we'll get them in the next ashes series...
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search