The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Oktava mk012-01 matched pair
Old 16th May 2006
Lives for gear

Oktava mk012-01 matched pair

Any opinion about these? Any suggestions welcome. Should I choose another brand type?
Regards Tamas Dragon
Old 16th May 2006
Lives for gear

For their price, they are probably the very best one can get. I know of guys seeing them in nearly the Neumann 180 league, although I can't really believe that.
Don't expect Neumann/Schoeps/dpa quality, but it's great bang for the buck definitely.
As long as it's the real russian ones - see http://www.oktava-online.com/ for info about chinese fakes.
Old 16th May 2006
Gear Nut

I own two pairs of them in addition to my Schoeps and Neumann microphones. I must say they are really professional tools. They are not quite the same level as Schoeps or Neumann, but for the price you cannot beat them. They are reasonably low noise, flexible (3 caps) and good sounding. Recommended if you are on a budget.
Regards
Hermann
Old 16th May 2006
Lives for gear

Same here,

Great mics, the best value mics around.
Get them from the Oktava web site though , to avoid the chinese rip off.
Here's the link; http://www.oktava-online.com/mk012.htm

umm didn't see the link already posted above..
Old 16th May 2006
Gear Nut

I agree. They are a good choice and yield a nice clean, smooth sound. Definitely good for the money. The only issues are their consistency from mic to mic -- a matched pair seems to make that issue moot -- and their build quality -- which isn't high end.

Of the 4 I have, 1 has died. Luckily I didn't spend much, as fixing them would be more expensive than the original purchase.

All in all, I've gotten a lot of milage from mine, so if you can get a good price on them, pick 'em up! I feel no need to replace them with more reputable SDCs, as they do a very good job on acoustic guitar and drum overheads.

Best of luck.
Old 17th May 2006
Gear Addict

I know I'm going to get flamed here, but...

I've read posts in the past that the Chinese knock-off's really don't sound that much different, or at least sound pretty good. Anybody here tried both, to comment?

Old 17th May 2006
Lives for gear

I have friends who use them for film interiors just like I would use Schoeps
and as there is no direct comparsion they are just fine. Never tryed myself though
but for the price... For classical music I would rent (Schoeps) if I could`t afford otherwise.
Matti

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search