The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Power conversion question 115v to 230v
Old 16th May 2006
Gear Nut

Power conversion question 115v to 230v

Hello! I haven't posted in months but its great to be back!

I am currently working in canada and i have the north american version of the motu 828mkII interface (no power selector switch in the back). I want to bring this unit with me to Europe soon and I am wondering what is the safest, but still affordable, to convert the power. I have used these little 7$ adaptors from electronics surplus stores, they work well with cheap electronics like my cellphone charger, but I am a little hesitant to use it with an audio interface. they are also 2 prong, and the MOTU has a 3 prong power connector if i am not mistaken.

So, can anyone recommend a good solution?

Thanks.
Old 16th May 2006
Lives for gear

A true step-up transformer, with REAL iron.

Bri
Old 16th May 2006
Lives for gear
Yeah, when I brought a bunch of my stuff to Israel (including a Hafler power amp) I had a tech install step-up transformers in my gear to make it 220. There are a couple little things, e.g. keyboard sound modules and a CD burner, that I use a small household converter for, but as a rule I try to make sure I use these as little as possible.

In fact, a small converter wasn't enough wattage for my Apogee AD-8000, which luckily has a selector switch...are you sure you can't switch the MOTU to 220? It may just mean the flip of a switch and changing fuses...
Old 16th May 2006
Gear Maniac

check your manual. according to MOTU, the 828mkII has a universal power supply. it automatically switches to the proper line voltage.

karl
Old 16th May 2006
Lives for gear

As Karl notes, the MOTU has an 'INTERNATIONAL POWER SUPPLY" so you have no worries about plugging it in across the pond: http://www.motu.com/products/motuaud.../overview.html
Old 18th May 2006
Gear Nut

thank you very much! i sent two emails to motu tech support and they replied to me with the same answer, however, they reply in MOTU time (3-4 days later. sucks)

so basically i have to find a european IEC cable somewhere now

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search