The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Digital Camcorders
Old 16th May 2006
  #1
Digital Camcorders

I'm in the process of setting up my website and I'm looking for a digital camcorder to get some footage of what we do here at Kadesh.

I realize I might be barking up the wrong tree but any tips are appreciated.


Peace, Paul
Old 16th May 2006
  #2
Lives for gear
 
kingneeraj's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul David
I'm in the process of setting up my website and I'm looking for a digital camcorder to get some footage of what we do here at Kadesh.

I realize I might be barking up the wrong tree but any tips are appreciated.


Peace, Paul
You can check out the Sony DCR-series.. those are some really nice consumer-level products.. if you want a pro camcorder, those maybe triple in price.. like the Sony HDR series
Old 16th May 2006
  #3
Gear Addict
 
KurtR's Avatar
 

Are you sure you can't just find a friend or hire somebody to do it? I use a Panasonic GS65 and it's pretty good for the money. I'm using it as a cam in the tracking room so I can watch in the control room at the moment heh

The high end Canon GL / XL series are pretty popular if you have the money.
Old 16th May 2006
  #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingneeraj
You can check out the Sony DCR-series.. those are some really nice consumer-level products.. if you want a pro camcorder, those maybe triple in price.. like the Sony HDR series
Thanks, I'll check into those.

I would love to hire this out but I want to be able to whip out the handy cam at a moments notice. Some of the artists I'm working with right now are ridiculously talented and I think fellow musicians and music lovers would get a kick out of watching them do their thing in the studio. plus it's going to add some action to the site.

Quality is not really paramount here. For audio it's gotta be Great River, Millenia, and Lavry but for this kind of thing Prosumer should be more than enough.

Okay, 1 more thing. I might want to hook it up to some really nice mics and pres. Is there anything I should look for in terms of audio ins?
Old 16th May 2006
  #5
More cowbell!
 
natpub's Avatar
another vote for the Sony, practically reliable, good value, quality results
Old 16th May 2006
  #6
Gear Addict
 
KurtR's Avatar
 

You might just want to record the audio seperate and sync it in software. To do it "right" you would nee an audio recorder and camera that can take a timecode gen. Or you could just line it up. Cameras with alot of audio I/O can get pricy fast.

I don't know much on all the cameras audio I/O but here are some adapters
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...rch&Q=&ci=8673


All you want is 2 line-ins on the camera?
Old 16th May 2006
  #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtR
You might just want to record the audio seperate and sync it in software. To do it "right" you would nee an audio recorder and camera that can take a timecode gen. Or you could just line it up. Cameras with alot of audio I/O can get pricy fast.

I don't know much on all the cameras audio I/O but here are some adapters
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...rch&Q=&ci=8673


All you want is 2 line-ins on the camera?
2 line ins would probably cut it for now. This is the scenario. Say I've got Mel Brown or Terry Dillard cutting tracks at my lab. Sometimes it turns into a freaky little concert and they start doing things that are pretty amazing. I think it would be cool to have a camcorder sitting on a tripod in the corner being fed by the L/R out of my PT rig.

Right now I've got my eyes on the DCR DVD405 because of the recommendations here.


P.S. Thanks for the link.
Old 16th May 2006
  #8
Lives for gear
I bought a copy of sony vegas or something like that at best buy for under a hundred bucks....you can sync up video with audio pretty easily.. you can also add in zooms and pans and stuff like that after the fact...
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump