The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
which control surface for my digi 002r?
Old 15th May 2006
Lives for gear

which control surface for my digi 002r?

I am looking at the Tascam us-2400...24 faders and only $799! Also looking at the comand 8...might work better with Pro Tools? Less faders and more money. Also the Mackie control universal...but this is last on my list.

I have mixed on the Pro Control and the noise from the faders moving was a little much at times...so that is a concern. I would like to hear opinions from people who own/use these units. The Tascam seems like the best deal...just wondering how it gels with pro Tools.

I am on an Imac g5 (not Intel-mac) and running Pro Tools 6.9. Thanks in advance.
Old 16th May 2006
Gear Maniac

command 8

it'll always work.

plus - does the trashcan unit have track names?
me thinks not.
Old 16th May 2006
Gear Nut

ummmmmm....
I think there is already "manny" similar threads why don't you do a search..
Old 16th May 2006
Jai guru deva om

Command 8...

War
Old 16th May 2006
Lives for gear
Well, here's something different...

Consider a used Roland VS-2480. It works great as a control surface, in banks of 8 at a time. In addition, it'll give you a very good all-in-one recorder with lots of inputs, and it's well-suited for remote recording, too. Best of all, it's extremely reliable, so you can always have a backup way to record if your PT rig should stumble at a critical time. The 2480 can export your tracks as wav files, which you can then load into PT LE for further work. The process is a bit cumbersome, but hey...it works!
Old 16th May 2006
Lives for gear

If you are using PT get the C/8. The integration is much better than the other options. Been using one since it came out and I love it. I would hate to go without it.
Old 16th May 2006
Lives for gear

Ya, I say stick to Digi's command 8 if you don't already have a controller or can't find a cheap used 3rd party controller.

I think Digi tried to weed out the Mackie Control with, I think 6.4(was it?). Where they didn't include the controller patch in the software. They put it in the "UNSUPPORTED" folder. heh heh There was sooooo many posts on DUC. I guess they wanted you to buy their own hardware. ****, they might try it again soon..
Old 16th May 2006
Lives for gear

I tried to use the us2400............

SUCKS with PT!

Always had to restart sessions and froze.... just a mess when you are in the zone!
Old 16th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTruffleKing
Consider a used Roland VS-2480. It works great as a control surface, in banks of 8 at a time. In addition, it'll give you a very good all-in-one recorder with lots of inputs, and it's well-suited for remote recording, too. Best of all, it's extremely reliable, so you can always have a backup way to record if your PT rig should stumble at a critical time. The 2480 can export your tracks as wav files, which you can then load into PT LE for further work. The process is a bit cumbersome, but hey...it works!
The ONLY drawback to this (I used to transfer tracks into Logic with my old VS) is in terms of control surface, the faders are not touch-sensitive.. if you plan to do hardcore mixing with your surface an as aid.
Old 16th May 2006
Gear Maniac

A vote for Mackie Control here, for the simple reason if or when I choose to run a different DAW based program the mackie will most likely have the capability to be used as my controller. Unlike the Command 8 (pt only).

As far as noisy faders....well these have gotten a workout over the yrs (3yrs now) I've owned it and never have a had a problem. All faders work fine with no problems.

It makes me wonder what a noisy fader would sound like? When mixing even at low levels the movement of a faders wouldnt distract me from the song. I cant imagine a fader moving being that loud. Im glad I havent experienced with the Mackie Control.

Peace Eddie
Old 16th May 2006
Lives for gear

What about the M-Audio controller? I've been looking at that for a awhile, must be fully integrated with PT too?
Old 16th May 2006

Command 8...
Old 16th May 2006
Lives for gear

second vote for mackie control simple ! cross compadibility and expandable!
Old 16th May 2006
Lives for gear

Command 8 works great.
Old 16th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Just picked up a C8 on ebay for $700. Already would hate to work without it.
Old 19th May 2006
Lives for gear

Thanks for the tips guys. The Digi C8 looks to be the best I guess...nobody likes the Tascam and I am not too keen on the idea of getting a Mackie...The C8 and oo2r would be a pretty sweet little rig. I am using the converters on my Rumour for tracking/clocking. The Rumour sounds a lot better than the 002's a/d.

PT user...I was using volume automation to dip out ess's...It was an acoustic track with a female vocal...the sound of the fader moving sounds just like an "ess"...was kind of a distraction. My Lacie drive is too loud as well...I mix turned way down.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search