The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Anyone here work on a Rush album?
Old 18th May 2006
mds
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by daryllh
I see that. I loved Victor. It was so far out there for Rush fans. You really got a deep vision of what Al was really like as a musical personality. Such an ecclectic person. I don't think most people knew that by seeing him on stage.

Ged's album sounded much better. Being newer helped. having Matt Cameron drum on most of it helped too!! thumbsup I like that album for some of the hooks and drum parts. Moreso than victor.
The fact that Victor was tracked on a Mackie 328 probably didn't help either. :D
Old 18th May 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mds
I have about 60 minutes of outtakes from the FII sessions and there are definitely some tense moments on it. For me DT started to lose my interest when the songs got super long and the "how fast can we play a b minor scale" thing started lasting 5 minutes instead of 2. In reality it probably has more to do with me moving on from being semi-obsessed with Petrucci as a guitarist than the band being any different.

I do still get a kick out of Awake from time to time. My favorite record, mostly because of how facinated I was with it when it came out (coffee can snare sound aside). I still think Voices and Scarred are the bands best moments...

On last FII note: Sherinian was always my favorite keyboard player in that band. I loved his crazy sounds and the timbre he added to the band. Rudess just never did it for me, I guess...

Mike
damn man,

part of me wants to argue, part of me wants to hug you!

Awake is my favorite album. The snare is great compared to Images and Words. Awake is so heavy, angry, filled with chops AND good songs. Modern Drummer did a review of the album and said 'this is the album rush would want to put out if they were still front runners in the progressive genre' or something to that affect. I couldn't agree more.

Dream Theater's M.O. IS fast, long and wanked-out prog. FII was not that.

I have said that Sherinian had the best sounds of the 3 keyboardists. His lead was so dirty and tough. While I would want Rudess for his virtuosity, Derek would be a guy who could groove with a band and make me smile. His performance on the Japan bootleg video is great.
Old 18th May 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mds
The fact that Victor was tracked on a Mackie 328 probably didn't help either. :D

Interesting.

Just wondering if anybody is scared of the job Al did on the 5.1 mixes of the old concert videos being rereleased in June.
Old 18th May 2006
mds
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by daryllh
damn man,

part of me wants to argue, part of me wants to hug you!

Awake is my favorite album. The snare is great compared to Images and Words. Awake is so heavy, angry, filled with chops AND good songs. Modern Drummer did a review of the album and said 'this is the album rush would want to put out if they were still front runners in the progressive genre' or something to that affect. I couldn't agree more.

Dream Theater's M.O. IS fast, long and wanked-out prog. FII was not that.

I have said that Sherinian had the best sounds of the 3 keyboardists. His lead was so dirty and tough. While I would want Rudess for his virtuosity, Derek would be a guy who could groove with a band and make me smile. His performance on the Japan bootleg video is great.
Haha...you didn't dig the D4 snare sound on I&W?!?!?!??! Talk about drum replacing gone wrong!!

Derek is definitely cool...I drove to Kingman AZ once (wow, I'm such a nerd) to see Planet X. Terrible show, really. Never liked McAlpine and V. Donati is kinda ridiculous, but Derek was awesome. He really gets the power of keyboard playing from a sonic point of view. I can hear chops anywhere, but that guy makes interesting, chewbakka rape scene noises that make me smile.

Mike
Old 18th May 2006
Lives for gear

Hey let's get back to Rush.
I think Terry Brown/Paul Northfield should produce/engineer again. Is he around? Record at Le Studio in the winter. Maybe that would get the songs and sound back we all love.

Or they can record here in Minneapolis. Close enough.

My Favs
Permanent Waves
Moving Pictures

I saw the Moving Pictures tour with I believe Blue Oyster Cult opening for them. I think it was on the 4th of July or something as I can remember people lighting off m80s and other fireworks. Those were the days. This was an inside concert.

Todd
Old 18th May 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddF
I think Terry Brown/Paul Northfield should produce/engineer again. Is he around? Record at Le Studio in the winter. Maybe that would get the songs and sound back we all love.

My Favs
Permanent Waves
Moving Pictures

I saw the Moving Pictures tour with I believe Blue Oyster Cult opening for them. I think it was on the 4th of July or something as I can remember people lighting off m80s and other fireworks. Those were the days. This was an inside concert.

Todd
come on Todd! I tried to bring it back full circle with the Dream Theater/Rush references...heh

Todd and I have spend some nights listening to Rush albums in the studio, after hours. Nothing like rewinding 'Witch Hunt' 5 times just to hear the drum fills.
Old 18th May 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mds
Haha...you didn't dig the D4 snare sound on I&W?!?!?!??! Talk about drum replacing gone wrong!!

Derek is definitely cool...I drove to Kingman AZ once (wow, I'm such a nerd) to see Planet X. Terrible show, really. Never liked McAlpine and V. Donati is kinda ridiculous, but Derek was awesome. He really gets the power of keyboard playing from a sonic point of view. I can hear chops anywhere, but that guy makes interesting, chewbakka rape scene noises that make me smile.

Mike
Dave Prater, producer of I&W left a sour taste in Portnoy's mouth for that snare sound. From what I understand, it was Dave's signature sound.
Old 18th May 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:

Todd
Would you put 3 big-ass bay windows in to mimic LeStudio if they recorded at your place?

Good answer! I would cheer the decision whole-heartedly.
Old 18th May 2006
Lives for gear

daryllh --- Agree wholeheartedly aboud DT "Awake"

Such a good example of recurring themes and a body of work which takes you on a journey satrt to finish.

Wasn't a lot of this album based on Petrucci's demons? I seem to recall a lot of the music/lyrics were his?

Must dig out the liner notes ---- iTunes got me outta that habit!

[sorry ToddF ----- back on topic again ]

@ True North ---- Any chance getting peeps on here?
Old 18th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mds

ya and thriller was recorded on behringer model 1152 like a have

btw is has a TOOB......... jkjk...........just can't believe it.
Old 18th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Terry has loft based studio in Toronto near the distillery/cherry beach district. I have been there a couple of times. It's an interesting rooom. The whole space is about 1500 to 2000 Sq Ft. and with the exception of the toilet there isn't a wall in whole dang place. He has a baic HD rig, no board, just some good mics and pres and that is about it. It is an outstanding sounding drum room, one of the best that I have ever heard. Guys can spend a fortune on treating a room but they haven't done a thing to this room - nary a bass trap in sight.
Old 18th May 2006
Lives for gear

Does Terry have a website? Can't find anything obvious on the web
Old 18th May 2006
Lives for gear

Funny you mention that, I went searching after I made my post;

http://www.terrybrown.net/
Old 18th May 2006
Lives for gear

Shame... They don't have piccies of their studio, although Terry has mentioned it on the "news" link.
Old 18th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by numchukskillls
I vote for Brendan O'Brien.
Actually, Arnold Lanni would be a better choice. He's done some great work, has worked with great musicians, and gets some great organic sounds.

But then again I could be wrong.

Hell, they should just go back to working with Peter Collins. They've done some great stuff w/ him.
Old 18th May 2006
Gear Maniac

I can honestly say that Moving Pictures was the sound of my youth. I occassionally pull it out and listen to it. It always makes me smile.

You know, Rush has always been a favorite of mine. I have seen them live at least 8 times.

But.... I can honestly say I really never listened to them for Alex. His playing and sound rarely caught my attention. Sure there are high points, but I never saw him as anything but a compliment to the other two.
Old 18th May 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtucker
Actually, Arnold Lanni would be a better choice. He's done some great work, has worked with great musicians, and gets some great organic sounds.

But then again I could be wrong.

Hell, they should just go back to working with Peter Collins. They've done some great stuff w/ him.
He did an un-freaking-believable job with King's X on Ear Candy, my favorite album of theirs. (Eveyr other fan I know hates that album...)

I sense a common thread with O'Brien and Lanni being mentioned... Both did great albums (IMHO) for King's X, a band known for better and worse CDs.

Just like Rush.

Hmmm.

We really got to get a fan petition to Rush! Lanni, O'Brien... Albini?!?!
Old 18th May 2006
Lives for gear

Don't know if anyone has posted this already in this thread but in case not, this is quite interesting.

http://mixonline.com/recording/inter...reating_vapor/
Old 18th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildstar
He did an un-freaking-believable job with King's X on Ear Candy, my favorite album of theirs. (Eveyr other fan I know hates that album...)

I sense a common thread with O'Brien and Lanni being mentioned... Both did great albums (IMHO) for King's X, a band known for better and worse CDs.

Just like Rush.

Hmmm.

I love Ear Candy as much as Dogman. The Ear Candy drums are really exciting and in yer face thumbsup
Old 18th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:

Just like Rush.

Hmmm.

I can't imagine why any King's X fan would hate Ear Candy. It's a great album. And you're right Lanni did a superb job. I would think that most X fans would dislike Tape Head more.

Anyhoo...I think Lanni would be a solid choice for Rush.
Old 18th May 2006
mds
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatzz
ya and thriller was recorded on behringer model 1152 like a have

btw is has a TOOB......... jkjk...........just can't believe it.
When Victor was being released there was a big article somewhere about Alex's home studio with pics, etc. He recorded everything at home (Lerxst Sound) with his Mackie into his Mac. Mixing and Mastering was done by others though.

Mike
Old 18th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by max cooper
I think guys like Matt Cameron have a bit o' Peart in 'em. That doesn't seem to be a bad thing.
Matt Cameron and Neil Peart in the same sentence? that very odd
Matts a solid drummer but way more like a Bonham but no way near as good
Old 18th May 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtucker
I can't imagine why any King's X fan would hate Ear Candy. It's a great album. And you're right Lanni did a superb job. I would think that most X fans would dislike Tape Head more.

Anyhoo...I think Lanni would be a solid choice for Rush.
Thanks for speaking up on Ear Candy's behalf! (and Blast9 as well.) It's a relief to know I'm not alone. That album sounds so organic, like Ogre Tones, in a way that is really lacking from other albums.

Back to the topic: I would love for Rush to achieve that kind of "aliveness" and delicious less-than-sonically-perfectness. Just like they used to...

At this point in Rush's career, would cost be prohibitive in working with someone like Lanni? I'm sure O'Brien is $$$$, but maybe Rush coudl afford it? They must make a steady income from their tours and long-term record sales?

Rather than money, I think it might be harder for them to give up control and autonomy, more than anything else. They've been doing this so long, I can imagine they feel like they don't need anyone else's help.
Old 18th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:

Rather than money, I think it might be harder for them to give up control and autonomy, more than anything else. They've been doing this so long, I can imagine they feel like they don't need anyone else's help.
I think it is a control thing and a fun factor. They are not worried about selling albums blah blah blah. They just wanna have fun and make a record. They can do that without a producer and a big production? I don't know just venturing a guess.
Old 18th May 2006
Lives for gear

longtime rush fan here too (like you couldn't tell from the username).

i actually liked the songs on VT--thought they were far superior to T4E and CPTS......and of course, the sonics were another thing altogether. of course, i happen to be one of the 7 people in the world who really loves the Presto album as well.

still, 2112 is my alltime fav.......followed by hemispheres and caress of steel.

neil's latest drum solo dvd set is fantastic--never would've guessed they were using an akg112 for the kick mic.

can't say i like much of the mixing on the last couple live albums--too compressed and the drums are backwards--when i hear neil, i want the drums from his perspective, dammit! ;-)

FWIW, "Awake" is my favorite DT album (I&W sucked me in). IMO, everything they've done since Kevin Moore's departure has just been subpar. It was his angst that made the songs good. i didn't care much for derek, and i don't care at ALL for jordan. saw them on the MII tour in DC, and they just seemed a little too self-indulgent (which is consistent with what others have said as well as the newer albums). sure they're more technically proficient now than 12 years ago, but at what a cost?

if anyone wants to swap some rush live shows, PM me. (is that even allowed here?)

cheers,
wade
Old 18th May 2006
mds
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrface2112
of course, i happen to be one of the 7 people in the world who really loves the Presto album as well.

still, 2112 is my alltime fav.......followed by hemispheres and caress of steel.
I guess I'm one of the other 6. I always like Presto too. It seems fairly universal that those of us that do like the later stuff still hold COS to MP to be the golden age, though...2112 is what made me a rush fun. Kinda weird since it was released the year I was born! :D

Quote:

FWIW, "Awake" is my favorite DT album (I&W sucked me in). IMO, everything they've done since Kevin Moore's departure has just been subpar. It was his angst that made the songs good.
I'm totally with you on this one. Even though I dig Derek's keyboard stuff, Kevin's moody angst brought a The Cure to NIN sorta vibe to the songs that contrasted well with Petrucci's religous stuff and Mike's general anger. Space Dye Vest is killer and Moore's lyrics for Lie are great. He was probably the best lyricst of the group..
Old 18th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by by-tor
I think it is a control thing and a fun factor. They are not worried about selling albums blah blah blah. They just wanna have fun and make a record. They can do that without a producer and a big production? I don't know just venturing a guess.
That's all fine and dandy. But if they put out another album with the sonic quality of Vapor Trails then maybe they should just hang it up.

I know a lot of people didn't like the songs on VT, but I thought they were mostly solid. If they had sounded better I think they would have been more readily accepted.

Let's face it...almost every Rush album from, say, Grace Under Pressure to current times has at least one dud on it. As much as I LOVED Counterparts I think "Between Sun & Moon" is quite possibly one of the worst songs they've ever put to tape. And, really, never should have made the album.
Old 18th May 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrface2112
of course, i happen to be one of the 7 people in the world who really loves the Presto album as well.

Make that 8 people. Great songs on Presto!

2112 is definitely my number 1, after that it gets tough to pick favorites. I love Signals, which I never hear any other Rush fan say anything kind about. Subdivisions is... sick.

I was born the year 2112 came out, just like someone else posted. Good year.

Maybe what we need to do is get a producer interested in Rush, rather than the other way around. From what I understand, Brendan O'Brien, after he becamse a big shot, was asked by his agent who he'd love to work with. His answer was "King's X." his agent said "who?" Apparently, King's X thought it a joke at first. So he sought them out, and the most satisfactory result was Dogman. Don't remember where I got this information...

Somebody out there must want to produce Rush. Somebody good.
Old 18th May 2006
Gear Addict

Being from Canada I was practically raised on Rush. I remember being quite small rocking to In the Mood. My personal album favorites are Farewell to Kings and Caress of Steel but I like most of all their stuff. I saw Rush in Vancouver a few years back and they played the entire 2112 non-stop and it was awesome. The only problem I have with Rush in concert is they sound too much like their albums. I like seeing bands in concert that are a little "rougher around the edges" so to speak. I'm like a few others here in the fact that I really liked them at one time and now, i'm not sure what happened but I simply don't listen to them much anymore.

I did recently purchase the Rush in Rio DVD though and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Their interaction with the audience is really cool (the sure are liked in Rio).

Max Webster was also mentioned and I really liked Battlescar as well. I can't remember if Rush/Geddie did anything else with Kim Mitchell though.

Someone mentioned Lanni and in all honesty I didn't even know that he was doing anything right now. Last I heard was Frozen Ghost.
Old 18th May 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
That's funny. I was going to say Brendan O'Brien too, but thought that everyone would think that a stupid idea.

Well it's a great idea. I second it. So how about that petition?

I'd like to hear Rush make a record with Tchad Blake or David Bottrill.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search