The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Wolfmother!
Old 15th May 2006
Lives for gear

Wolfmother!

I'm enjoying the clips I've heard on iTunes... No guesses as to their influences! heh
Old 15th May 2006
C/G
Lives for gear

They play the single a lot on the local radio station here. It's pretty cool, a la Sabbath.
Old 15th May 2006
Gear Maniac

I hear some Deep Purple and maybe some ELP in the middle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Gaucher
They play the single a lot on the local radio station here. It's pretty cool, a la Sabbath.
Old 16th May 2006
Lives for gear

They had an indie single release about a year or so ago... not sure if it's still available but the version of "Woman" on that release has more balls than the re-recorded version... sloppier, not as good sonically, much more power IMO.
Old 16th May 2006
Lives for gear

The break in the middle of one of their songs reminds me of Rush. That D chord pushed up the frets.
The heavier parts do have a Sabbath sound but if I want neo Sabbath I'll listen to Kyuss. I am finding it really hard to accept the Zeppelin tag that their promo states. They just dont have the depth musically.
I like the fact that the public is buying. It gives me hope that the labels may put more $$$ into musical bands that stretch out a bit. Hopefully one will surface that really nails it.
Old 16th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubthumper
They had an indie single release about a year or so ago... not sure if it's still available but the version of "Woman" on that release has more balls than the re-recorded version... sloppier, not as good sonically, much more power IMO.

I couldnt agree more. I wish more people would get the chance to hear that EP but I doubt it will happen as its out of press now.

Sure Dave Sardi made their album sound 'good' and 'polished' but in the end, it has so much less life, intensity and mystery than the ep. He put every sound out on a plate right in front of you so there was nothing left to listen for. And im pretty damn sure he autotuned the vocals, at least in parts. He should be run out of town for that alone!

The only track that they redid better than the ep version was Apple Tree, which kicks much more arse now. But Woman is rubbish, Pyramid is rubbish and White Unicorn?...its the processed cheese version of the original.

Does anyone know who recorded the EP? Its not credited in the liner notes...there arent any! Hats off to him/her anyway - you are better than Dave Sardi.

M
Old 17th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by moogus
But Woman is rubbish, Pyramid is rubbish and White Unicorn?...its the processed cheese version of the original.

Does anyone know who recorded the EP? Its not credited in the liner notes...there arent any! Hats off to him/her anyway - you are better than Dave Sardi.

M
Nah, not sure who recorded it, but I really like the looseness and rough edges. I can't listen to the re-recorded version of "Woman".

I didn't know that "White Unicorn" was on the EP... musn't haven't heard it on JJJ. I do like the LP version, guess I need to check out the EP version if I can track down someone who owns it....
Old 17th May 2006
Lives for gear

wolfmother: derivative, musically void, well marketed fashion band crap with an afro. dfegad also see Airbourne: the BIGGEST AC/DC rip off I have ever seen it's embarrassing, the main difference is they have NO songs, their music is a joke. They were signed on photos from their webpage.. no ****.. sad.
Old 17th May 2006
Lives for gear

I know they recorded it at home, however I don't know if it was remixed by a 'name' before it was released. The lack of a credit leads me to think they did it all themselves.
Old 17th May 2006
Lives for gear

actually a quick google indicates that Jim Diamond mixed their self-recorded stuff for that first EP.
Old 17th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by remo
wolfmother: derivative, musically void, well marketed fashion band crap with an afro. dfegad also see Airbourne: the BIGGEST AC/DC rip off I have ever seen it's embarrassing, the main difference is they have NO songs, their music is a joke. They were signed on photos from their webpage.. no ****.. sad.
Agree 100%. Totally derivative crap, and not even good derivative crap.
Old 17th May 2006
Lives for gear

The secret to success: read carefully!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestral

in keeping with the spirit, this post of mine is totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap totally derivative crap
Old 17th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestral

I think you have to hear the EP before you make your final judgment. It might not change yr mind but its still worth a listen.

M
Old 17th May 2006
Lives for gear

I can see the headline on tomorrow morning's Herald Sun/Daily Telegraph/Courier Mail (insert the name of your local tabloid here)....

SHOCK, HORROR:
YOUNG BAND WEARS ITS INFLUENCES ON ITS SLEEVE
Old 17th May 2006
Lives for gear

Wolfmother
Old 17th May 2006
Gear Addict

I am not too impressed either.
It's the companys fault for not putting their balls on the line and signing up something really original. dfegad
Old 17th May 2006
Lives for gear

Wolfmother is way overhyped... makes me want to
Old 17th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
I can see the headline on tomorrow morning's Herald Sun/Daily Telegraph/Courier Mail (insert the name of your local tabloid here)....

SHOCK, HORROR:
I agree with you. Every band (except for maybe captian beefheart) is derived from something popular before. Most people don't seem to get that the language of popular music is not very diverse or deep. I got over the derivitave tag about 10 years ago when I found myself rocking out to Nirvana while completely aware of their influences.Now I try to judge on the quality of the writing and soul of performance. Sooo
While I find it refreshing that majors have decided to push music that stretches out a bit it remains my hope that they will find a band that has the musical and artistic depth that is required to really deserve the Zepplin tag.
Havent heard Airbourne yet (not for lack of a little trying) but if they deliver a "cold hard bitch" quality AC/DC rip then I will be happy for them.
Old 17th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:

SHOCK, HORROR:
Or this headline.......
SHOCK HORROR:
YOUNG BAND BECOMING SUCCESSFUL IS HATED BY ITS OWN COUNTRY.

The tall poppy syndrome is great for holding a country and its people together. It is the worst paradigm ever for those who want to be producers, rockstars or generally stand out above the rest.
Old 17th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by moogus

M
Wolfmother EP: mixing was done by chris from the band.
Wolfmother Album: D Sardy and Ryan Castle at Sound City and Village Recorder in LA.

I read somewhere that Mat Thomas from Melbourne did something with them?
Old 17th May 2006
Led
Lives for gear

Oz looks set to be the rehash capital of the world the way we are goin. Great to see the younger guys taking only a few years to destroy what 30 years worth of talented original Australian artists worked so hard to build up. That's quite a skill they've discovered there. Yes Jet, I'm looking at you too. All of you go stand in the corner. Now. fuuck

Ripper I stared at your post for a while and I started to see one of those 'magic eye' pictures of a dolphin with an i-pod.
Old 17th May 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Led
Ripper I stared at your post for a while and I started to see one of those 'magic eye' pictures of a dolphin with an i-pod.
I saw Frank Zappa
Old 17th May 2006
Led
Lives for gear

The dolphin was listening to Zappa.
Old 17th May 2006
Gear Nut

funny. my wife just saw them play here in toronto last night. she likes the album for what it is (she'd admit it was nothing new). she wasn't all that impressed with them live.
Old 17th May 2006
Lives for gear

As Keef says: "only steal from the best"!

Hate tall poppy ****e and love young bands who are influenced but are brilliant interpreters (Like the Stones). And like the Legs, a bunch of 20 yr olds from Melbourne. I had to tell them who Blue Cheer and MOuntain were... even though they sound like they could be sharing the billing with them. They do it natural and it's not contrived.

And like the blues, which ALL of this is based on, it's not the musical struture being varied, it's the amount of REALNESS and that heart and soul and authority and TRUTH the performers express in their take on the form.

Sorry but I was with Dave from Dallas Crane and Delta's keyboardist (an odd couple or what?) at the late-great Duke and Airbourne came on whao I knew nothing about. I literally ran for the door with a goodbye over my shoulder, feeling suddenly annoyed to a point of retching. Dave yelled after me: "there's a bidding war on for these guys!!!!"

bung me boys! that aint right!
really. if ya don't get the difference... you're a bloody idiot!

dfegad
Old 17th May 2006
Lives for gear

Thanks Kestral! Love my new signature!
Old 17th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkshort
funny. my wife just saw them play here in toronto last night. she likes the album for what it is (she'd admit it was nothing new). she wasn't all that impressed with them live.

Something happened to them when they went to the states to record, or so it seems. I saw them early last year at the Zoo (famous small brissie venue) which was packed with about 300 punters and thats when I really became a fan. It was the best rock n roll show Id ever seen, easily up there the ACDC, Stones and Page+Plant gigs Ive been to, but more intense because of the smaller venue and cause we didnt already know all the songs.

The next time I saw them was after the album was out, at a bigger but equally cool venue that was equally packed, and they had lost something. It was still great but that little bit extra, that thing that put them up there with the Stones etc, was gone.

I really hope they do a few more albums (in Australia) and get whatever that thing they had at the Zoo gig back. It would totally boost my faith in music.

M
Old 17th May 2006
I watched their one hour ABC TV live set.
I thought they were ordinary at best, but then I'm not their target audience - being over 40.
Old 13th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripper
As Keef says: "only steal from the best"!

Sorry but I was with Dave from Dallas Crane and Delta's keyboardist (an odd couple or what?) at the late-great Duke...
Rich Sanford? I've worked on a few projects with him, nice guy.

It's honestly not the tall poppy thing that makes me diss Wolfmother and Airbourne, I just see red when I read/hear people putting them in the same league as Zep, Sabbath etc.. I mean come on ffs listen to their music and look at the pictures.. it's absolute plagiarism.

http://www.myspace.com/airbournerock

I would be EMBARRASED to play these songs on stage and wear EXACTLY what AC/DC wear... come on morons, have an original idea for once.

and there is a F#%KING bidding war on for these idiots?

dfegad gutless, myopic A&R morons for even CONSIDERING signing this ****e.
Old 13th June 2006
Gear Maniac

The VAST MAJORITY of punters wouldn't know a quality band if it bit them on the arse and this sorry fact is being capitalised on to push the continual stream of sewage we're seeing, into the marketplace.

If the complete Jet/Wolfmother (insert numerous other names) style packages are indicative of the future of music, then God help us.

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search