The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Slightly OT: How's New Zealand?
Old 15th May 2006
Lives for gear

Slightly OT: How's New Zealand?

It wouldn't be any time soon, but I've often thought of moving to New Zealand. Do you think it would be a viable place to open a fairly low priced studio with great gear?

I have a Daking console, La-2a, 1176, apogee converters, ADAM s2.5a monitors, Blue Bottle mic, PTHD, and tons of nice instruments. (you can check out my studio at www.nebulost.com) With a pretty decent room what do you think would be a reasonable rate in say Wellington?

What do you think the best city in NZ would be to set up a studio?

What is the music scene like in NZ? I prefer metal, gothic kind of stuff. Are there many bands of this genre there?

How's the economy, taxes, business regulations?

Thanks!
Old 15th May 2006

Hey Rufuss I'm LOL on your post. My wife is a KIWI and she's desperate to go home now we have kids. She's from Tauranga, a beautiful little seaside town.

Thing is she let me buy a BLUE Bottle and B6/7/0 capsule on the basis that when we finally return to NZ I'd be the only studio over there with a Bottle due to the fact that it would cost = of $15,000NZ loads of money for a KIWI studio.

Now am I right - you've got a Bottle haven't you - you can't go dude, you'll blow my plan heh

Best

Trebor
Old 15th May 2006
Here for the gear

New Zealand

Howzit Kia ora, South Island is the spot lots of Gothic and Trash bands there.

Matt
Old 15th May 2006

Cool, South Island - Gothic and Trash, but no Bottle mic? - just checking!

Trebor
Old 16th May 2006
Lives for gear

Hey man,

I would recommend talking to Jeremy at York St. (Considered by most to be the best studio in the country.)

You may think his response will be a little bias, as he is kinda the competition, but he's
a real open, honest guy who try's to help everyone the best he can.
(And wellington is far enough away from him to be of essentially no concern anyway... :P)

The only thing i know that's worried him lately is Neil Finn making more studios in his
place. (The guy has money to burn obviously...)

Give him an email as i know he could answer all your questions, (business related as well) and probably has the best handle on how well a studio can do here commercially.
(Bearing in mind York St is typically a 'Band/Music' studio, not post etc..)

[email protected]
http://www.yorkstreet.co.nz

(No, i dont work there.. although i have 'freelanced' there...
he's actually helped us alot with our own studio an hour south in Hamilton. )
Old 16th May 2006
Lives for gear

Yes Trebor, I have a Bottle mic. But I have the B6 and a Neumann M8. I'm sure by the time I get to NZ I'll have them all though + the M7 and M9 heh heh heh

I'll give Jeremy an email. Thanks!
Old 16th May 2006

hi

I have a bottle and I live in NZ, I haven't seen another though..

anyway, neil finn is opening a studio soon that will probably be the best in the country, actually I'm in it right this second..

pm me if you're serious about wanting to know more about nz, its a unique market

narco
Old 16th May 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufuss Sewell

I have a Daking console, La-2a, 1176, apogee converters, ADAM s2.5a monitors, Blue Bottle mic, PTHD, and tons of nice instruments. (you can check out my studio at www.nebulost.com) With a pretty decent room what do you think would be a reasonable rate in say Wellington?

What do you think the best city in NZ would be to set up a studio?

What is the music scene like in NZ? I prefer metal, gothic kind of stuff. Are there many bands of this genre there?

How's the economy, taxes, business regulations?

Thanks!
some answers in short though..

Wellington is the arty city of NZ but auckland has 90 percent of the music industry.. ie, all the recod companies, all the radio stations, all the mags etc..

Check out the band "Shihad", possibly the best live heavy act in the world, from wellington, sounds like your cup of tea www.shihad.com

The taxes etc are set up to support business owners, so its quite good in that respect.

The local music industry is currently booming, however it is largely supported by government funding ( www.nzonair.govt.nz ) so there is no telling how long it will last, probably till the next election

there is virtually no money in the industry here outside of grants as the population is too small, you can be in a multi platinum selling band and still be on the unemplyment benefit..

I'm just imagining you emailing jeremy: "dear jeremy, I am thinking about starting a studio up in competition with you, what do you think?" jeremy: "fuk off"

There is no lack of studios here relative to the market in case you were thinking that somehow nz was an untapped market. There is only one ssl though, I haven't seen a daking, but there are tridents, plenty of (very nice) neve's, la2s 1176s pro tools, apogees etc.. studios closing down etc.. like anywhere else

real estate in auckland is proably a bit more than it should be, the rest of the country is about right..

narco
Old 16th May 2006

OK hands up there in NZ, who else has a Bottle! heh

But how the hell did you afford it - you can get a real nice 4by4 for that kinda $NZ

Narco - I read that Mutt Lange and Shania had bought an Island off the NZ goverment down in Welly for about $25M and were buliding a paradise studio/ home on it.

Sheryll Crow has bought land there too (****, bet she's got a Bottle as well)
I would love to come and live back in NZ, I can afford a house, it's just having an income as a musician/studio that worries me - I always felt that there wasn't much spare cash floating about.

Hey Narco, is Neil Finn like a millionaire outa Crowded House - I wasn't aware they where that succesful?

Best

Trebor
Old 16th May 2006

I got my bottle used from gearslutz!

Ha, shania and mutt have a peice of land in the south island just out of queenstown. Very picturesque and majestic landscape. Its basically a large farm, they had a few troubles because of where it is they have to allow trampers on their land (or something like that).

I don't know about sherryl crow, although lots of famous people have retreats here, from madonna, to the chillis to bill gates to the spice girls, there always stories of someone, I don't know how many are true, shanias definitely is.

Yeah thats neil finn, he's kind of the royalty of the local scene, #2 single in the US. And quite alot outside of that, although not so much in america recently, more UK and canada (don't quote me)

His studio has "the who's" old neve and a great mic collection including genuine vintage telefunkens

narco
Old 16th May 2006

Narco, I can image Neil Finn is royalty he is like one the most famous NZ musicians, we love Split Ends in our house.

My kids have just become NZ citizens, so they always have the option of living in NZ. If I can make enough money in London, my dream is to settle in Tauranga (Bay of Plenty) but I get the impression you really need to have some cash behind you to survive.

My wife wants us to go now, and set up a studio but after looking into it and reading these threads I realise that it's just a dream.

Beautiful country though, amazing quality of life IMHO.

Best

Trebor
Old 16th May 2006

yeah its definitely a fantatic liestyle over here. Tauranga is a beautiful city, somewhat of a retirement vilage though (lots of elderly people), but mt maunganui beach is 5 minutes away. Its not a very big city (I would guess at 100,000 people, so there wouldn't be much market there, the old drummer from ACDC has a studio just up the coast from tauranga.

all the best too
narco
Old 16th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by narco
yeah its definitely a fantatic liestyle over here. Tauranga is a beautiful city, somewhat of a retirement vilage though (lots of elderly people), but mt maunganui beach is 5 minutes away. Its not a very big city (I would guess at 100,000 people, so there wouldn't be much market there, the old drummer from ACDC has a studio just up the coast from tauranga.

all the best too
narco
Big up Tauranga!!! I'm originally from there, beautiful place but narco's on the spot. Retirement these days. I've always harboured the dream of setting up a place in the hills behind Tga, looking out over the bay/mount/major is. But it'd take so $$$, you'd struggle to keep a room occupied 24/7 with good paying clients. But never the less, I'll continue buying lotto tickets in the hope...

Narco, I'm totally envious of you! Neil Finn is a god in NZ, and with good reason, the man does write a great song or two. Narco, are you working with him at the present?
Old 16th May 2006

nah, I'm doing another project in his studio, well actually his studio is being built downstairs, so we're in the temp set up. He is currently recording though out at bethels beach instead of in the city

narco
Old 16th May 2006
Gear Nut

Sorry to steal your thread

I am heading over to NZ over the Queensland June/July holidays with a school group on tour. I need a place to hire a small PA system from in Auckland for the time we are there.

Any suggestions???

Cheers

Jason
Old 16th May 2006

how small?

I would suggest "college hill productions" as being your best bet, they are a smaller company with quality gear and service (crappy website tho)

college hill productions
14 A Haultain St
Eden Terrace
Auckland
+64-9-366 0069
http://www.collegehill.co.nz/

there is also oceania audio, but they are a bit more corporate

narco
Old 16th May 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by entropy
Big up Tauranga!!! I'm originally from there, beautiful place but narco's on the spot. Retirement these days. I've always harboured the dream of setting up a place in the hills behind Tga, looking out over the bay/mount/major is. But it'd take so $$$, you'd struggle to keep a room occupied 24/7 with good paying clients. But never the less, I'll continue buying lotto tickets in the hope...

Narco, I'm totally envious of you! Neil Finn is a god in NZ, and with good reason, the man does write a great song or two. Narco, are you working with him at the present?
Same dream as me - win Lotto build a studio within walking distance of The Mount hot pools.

Actually my Kiwi wife who's from Tga originally (her parents are retired there!) lived in Brisbane for 10 years till she met me in London. Is there any better chance of earning a living in Brissy (i've been once on a holiday and thought **** this place is HOT!)

I am mainly a musician, so I split my time between playing covers/originals, teaching singing and jazz piano and hiring my studio here in London. Entropy has Brissy got a big enough scene to support another musician (are people into music lessons) are there many payed piano bar gigs?

Thanks for any info

Trebor
Old 16th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm just imagining you emailing jeremy: "dear jeremy, I am thinking about starting a studio up in competition with you, what do you think?" jeremy: "fuk off"
narco
Either you've caught him on bad days, or we've been lucky with only catching him on really good days.
He's been nothing short of a guy going completely out of his way to help us in setting up our studio.

Advice in all areas, hell, he even offered to come down and help design the setup for the
cabling/patching etc.

I can understand where your comment comes from, maybe he would be a little hesitant giving
advice to someone from overseas looking to come here. But he's gone so far as to send us
work.. Top guy.

Not sure if you were trying to imply in your post that he isn't but..
Old 16th May 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainHook

Not sure if you were trying to imply in your post that he isn't but..
Whoops, I suppose it could've been taken like that. I didn't mean jeremy in particular, I just meant the concept of asking the competition for advice. No offence meant

narco

ps. go to bed
Old 17th May 2006
Here for the gear

Great lifestyle

if you have the $$

The downsides are; the economy of scale, not enough population to support what you do; OK if you have a worldwide business or are retired/semi-retired

Cost of living: esp. Real Estate continues to go $eriou$ly North

Appalling race relations issues with the local Maoris, not evident until you live there ( all my old Kiwi mates have their stories to tell on that score )

I'm a Kiwi Passport holder but doubt I could afford to live in NZ now

With the cost of living it's actually cheaper to Die ( + think of the money you'll save )

El Gippo
Old 17th May 2006
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsielectro
Appalling race relations issues with the local Maoris, not evident until you live there ( all my old Kiwi mates have their stories to tell on that score )
I don't want to take this thread in too much of a different direction, but I take objection to statements such as this. NZ's race relations, while they are not perfect, are miles ahead of the vast majority of colonised countries around. NZ is also one of the least racist countries I've visited, and i also find it rather ironic that you are calling out NZ's race relations while living in one of the most racist countries in the world.
Old 17th May 2006
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmah
I don't want to take this thread in too much of a different direction, but I take objection to statements such as this. NZ's race relations, while they are not perfect, are miles ahead of the vast majority of colonised countries around. NZ is also one of the least racist countries I've visited, and i also find it rather ironic that you are calling out NZ's race relations while living in one of the most racist countries in the world.

"NZ is also one of the least racist countries I've visited"

OK that's certainly true in the context of immigrants integrating into NZ society ( they do ) or visitors from anywhere being treated hospitably and well

The Trouble in Paradise in NZ since the 1980's has been with a very small and militant percentage of local indigineous people; and long term Kiwi residents will be the 1st to debrief you as to that *sorry* state of affairs

I think for anyone considering emigrating; that's a valid issue that needs addressing

It's one thing to visit a Country; and quite another to live there...

As for living in Japan, 98% plus of the population are Japanese, + with Japan having no history of either immigration or slavery there is no racial "cultural baggage" to carry over; at least none that I've experienced

Japanese generally consider Japan such a God-awful place to live that the typical reaction to any foreigner living here is Sympathy....

Gips
Old 17th May 2006
Gear Nut

Whatever man, i have no idea what your friends told you about land claims and protests, but I am a New Zealander and have lived most of my life there. I wholeheartedly disagree that there is a 'sorry state of affairs'.

I also think its also unfair to bring this up as an issue when countries like Australia and th US just deny there is a problem with indigenous people and land rights, when NZ is taking active steps towards settling the problems. i really think you were given a skewed perspective on the issue.
Old 17th May 2006

Quote:

The Trouble in Paradise in NZ since the 1980's has been with a very small and militant percentage of local indigineous people; and long term Kiwi residents will be the 1st to debrief you as to that *sorry* state of affairs

Gips
ummmm, sorry but you are soooo misinformed

I have lived in New Zealand for 90 percent of my life and travelled internationally extensively.

The issues NZ has with race are only because we are virtually the only country in the world to approach and attempt to resolve issues from the past.

Whilst trying to deal with the past many issues make the news, whereas I am not aware of any other country that even approaches these issues.

Racism will happen to a certain degree everywhere, but off the top of my head I can't think of anywhere that has a more pro active stance on positive race relations.

it is also hard to think of a more multi cultural country.

we were also the first country to give woman the vote

narco
Old 17th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
ummmm, sorry but you are soooo misinformed

I have lived in New Zealand for 90 percent of my life and travelled internationally extensively.

The issues NZ has with race are only because we are virtually the only country in the world to approach and attempt to resolve issues from the past.

Whilst trying to deal with the past many issues make the news, whereas I am not aware of any other country that even approaches these issues.

Racism will happen to a certain degree everywhere, but off the top of my head I can't think of anywhere that has a more pro active stance on positive race relations.

it is also hard to think of a more multi cultural country.

we were also the first country to give woman the vote

narco
Well put narco!

NZ is a great place to live and has problem areas just like any other country. However, the cops in NZ don't wear guns and ppl are generally more open and friendly that tells you alot about the nation's psyche.

Here in Sydney, ppl are meaner and self important as a generalisation. Out of Sydney, the ppl are great, friendly and normal. Some Australians are racists but they mask it very well! I've been here 20 years and back then in NZ b4 I left it was very very hard to make money as a muso! That's why most of them came here to Aus to run your industry and take it over! hehe
Old 17th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trebor Flow
Same dream as me - win Lotto build a studio within walking distance of The Mount hot pools.

Actually my Kiwi wife who's from Tga originally (her parents are retired there!) lived in Brisbane for 10 years till she met me in London. Is there any better chance of earning a living in Brissy (i've been once on a holiday and thought **** this place is HOT!)

I am mainly a musician, so I split my time between playing covers/originals, teaching singing and jazz piano and hiring my studio here in London. Entropy has Brissy got a big enough scene to support another musician (are people into music lessons) are there many payed piano bar gigs?

Thanks for any info

Trebor
Hey Trebor

It's getting better but I've gotta run to a gig so I'll come back to you on this.

Cris
Old 17th May 2006
Gear Addict

Not cool Gypsielectro
This forum is probably not the place for this debate
however
Would you have rathered Maori just stay silent about the previous 140 odd years of disrespect?
Not cool
Old 17th May 2006
Gear Addict

Yep .... it's true NZ is one of the best countries in the world to live in ...

and if you don't give a **** about being a big-shot , or making a few million

in the " biz " you'll love it .... sure we have our fair share of people living here

trying their hardest to convince us , & the government , we should give up trying

to have our own culture and adopt North America's instead ... but most of the

creative community really know what's going on , there is some truly unique

art being made here , we just don't know it yet.
Old 17th May 2006
Gear Nut

Quote:

OK that's certainly true in the context of immigrants integrating into NZ society ( they do ) or visitors from anywhere being treated hospitably and well

I think for anyone considering emigrating; that's a valid issue that needs addressing

It's one thing to visit a Country; and quite another to live there...

As for living in Japan, 98% plus of the population are Japanese, + with Japan having no history of either immigration or slavery there is no racial "cultural baggage" to carry over; at least none that I've experienced

Japanese generally consider Japan such a God-awful place to live that the typical reaction to any foreigner living here is Sympathy....

Gips

I've lived in Japan for five years , USA for 1- 1/2 years , Germany for 1 year, New Zealand for twenty, Australia for 6 and I can catergorically state that you have this situation exactly backwards.

New Zealands race relations are vital, alive and a massive part of the quality of life in NZ. It's not always pretty, sure but it is IMVHO the most actively advanced state of cultural intergration on planet earth.

Sorry just name one place on planet earth outside of NZ that has an indigenious population that is alive, empowered, vocal and whose culture represents the key basis of a national identity after being invaded by europeans. Thats right - Nowhere.

And somehow I feel that you have yet to live in Japan long enough to understand - Nonetheless - I love it there.

Anyways - Leaving this behind and gettign back on topic - NZ is beautiful - Great place to live - as for making a living from owning a studio - Specializing in hard / metal etc. - that's going to be really really tough. I personally think you'll be better off staying in Austin - (that town kicks) make yr money there and retire in NZ
Old 18th May 2006
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justynfromnz
Not cool Gypsielectro
This forum is probably not the place for this debate
however
Would you have rathered Maori just stay silent about the previous 140 odd years of disrespect?
Not cool
We're chilling @ sub-Zero Justyn,
it's precisely the reaction to that injustice I was commenting on, + I'm not taking sides ( *it's not my fight* )
Not dissing you, or any NZ'rs
Sorry my post was interpreted that way

El Gips
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search