The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
what albums would you love to remix if you could?
Old 30th June 2006
Gear Head

Without a doubt me and my friend have this discussion ALOT.
And it always comes down to : Faith No More : Angel Dust...

Such a great band with such great songs but the album is soooooo 90s sounding it's not even funny. I think a new mix would help it alot.
Old 2nd July 2006
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by newnes
Jeff Buckley, Grace - Thin and bright.

Fleetwood Mac, Rumours - Same thing. Seriously, where's the bass on this record?
I find it funny that you think these need to be remixed. Both on my top 10 best sounding albums ever! The low end thing andthin and bright is great goes with the times
Old 2nd July 2006
Gear Maniac

KoRn - See you on the other Side
KoRn - Untouchables

System of a Down - Mezmerize
'' '' '' '' - Hypnotize

Muse - Black Holes and Revelations
Muse - Origin of Symmetry

Deftones - Around the Fur

Blind
Old 8th July 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggseb
My Bloody Valentine : Loveless

no bass in this mix

:(
Old 8th July 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Gaucher
I'm no mixer by any stretch, but if I could it would be Oranges and Lemmons by XTC. Way too crispy for my liking and the drums sound anemic. I still love it, but man it is bright.
Love the record... agree, it's rather bright. Sounds almost more like a mastering thing to me than a mixing issue. LOTS OF TREBLE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunofason
Ray Lamontagne : Trouble

Good record, interesting panning, nice raw sound yet hard to listen to in the car. Annoying....
Ethan Johns.... either love him or hate him. I'm kind of on the fence. I like pristine recordings, but I also enjoy raw, crusty stuff sometimes too. That record does have GREAT songs and vox.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newnes
Jeff Buckley, Grace - Thin and bright.

Fleetwood Mac, Rumours - Same thing. Seriously, where's the bass on this record?
Regarding Buckely, I'm sorry but you're just smoking crack or something. That record sounds fantastic. As far as Fleetwood Mac goes, I've never really been a fan or the music or the recordings, but Dreams is a great song.

Quote:
Originally Posted by allencollins
Id remix all the pearl jam cd's. Actually Id reproduce them and rewrite all the songs too. Actually maybe Id kick out the lead singer and get a guy who can sing in key.

Id also redo the guitar tracks and actually tune the guitars before Id record them. Id also tune the drums and rerecord them.
You're more opinionated than I am! Whatever... Pearl Jam dug their own grave with the whole Ticketmaster bull****, but "Ten" is still an amazing record with great rock songs like Evenflow, Alive, and Jeremy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRobb
Paul Simon "Graceland". It really suffered from being made at the height of the huge gated reverb age. If it had been made five years either side, it would have been better sounding. "Boy in the Bubble" should be about that incredibly slinky bassline, not huge gated tom reverbs. I would love to hear simple, natural mixes that featured the music, not the production.
Couldn't agree more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mipearson
Ben Folds - Rockin the Suburbs.

He writes a song with the lyrics "producers fixing all my ****ty tracks" and then releases an album that's so squeaky-clean it has no character or feel.
That's because he played everything on that record when he's primarily a piano player/singer. I think either he was being ironic or trying to make fun of popular music, or both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by absrec

Metallica - And Justice for all (Can't hear the bass)
It's amazing how much better Master of Puppets sounds in such a short time span. Didn't they reference their previous record in making ... And Justice For All?
Old 8th July 2006
Lives for gear

Funkadelics "Free Your Mind And Your Ass Will Follow"

... just a bit of re-balancing and the only slightest of cleaning jobs
as the dark sceptre of overproduction always looms large.
Old 8th July 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob katz
Back in Black! I know I'll get screwed, chewed and diced for that one, but you have to have a Maverick in every crowd. This muti-million-selling record could have sounded much better. There is a balance between FATNESS and transient impact and in my not so humble opinion, Back in Black overstepped that bound. So I'd like to have a hand at the original tracks, and remix and remaster it. Good thing I wouldn't have to remarket it :-).

Yesterday I was mastering and the delicate balance between "optimum compression" and expression of dynamics is very critical. Backing off on the compressor did not always produce the best sound, and neither did vice-versa. This being a (former) major label artist that every one of you has heard of. I'll tell you who when the album comes out.

BK
I'm a little shocked.

I was playing this in the control room the other day and a friend commented that BIB must be burned on a special cd that can detect what kind of stereo you're playing it on, and adjust itself to sound great.
Old 8th July 2006
Mastering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winey
I'm a little shocked.

I was playing this in the control room the other day and a friend commented that BIB must be burned on a special cd that can detect what kind of stereo you're playing it on, and adjust itself to sound great.

Well, like I said, my tastes on this album are a little screwed. It sounds like too much tape or board compression... just my taste.

BK
Old 8th July 2006
Here for the gear

Broken Social Scene - S/T

Needs a huge mix makeover.
Old 8th July 2006
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind

Muse - Black Holes and Revelations
Forget about re-mixing something that is sh*t from the start.
Old 8th July 2006
Gear Addict

Magnetic Fields. I love that music but I don't love the sound of the records.

Sonic Youth - Evol

The new Flaming Lips record. I don't think I could do a better job.. I really just hoped for more of the same.. My brain gets lost in the soft bulletin mixes. The new one seems very... what you hear is what is there. It sounds good, but I miss that one mic in a big room drum sound.
Old 1st April 2009
Gear Addict

BSSM

Blood Sugar Sex Magik. Straight Analogue Funk.
Old 1st April 2009
Gear Addict

Not that it would be any objective improvement but I would love to remix any of pearl jam's studio albums. The only one that could have used the remixing was ten though... and they are releasing that shortly. Admitted themselves years ago that it had a bit too much verb...

I would also love to remix Speaking in Tounges by the Talking Heads... Again just for fun, not that it needs it.
Old 1st April 2009
Here for the gear

My Bloody Valentine- Loveless (such great songs and performances, but the mix is just plain wonky)

The Stooges- Fun House

The Zombies- Odessy and Oracle (minus the Geoff Emerick mixes, which are pretty killer)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search