The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
what albums would you love to remix if you could?
Old 17th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwittman
really?

i think this is the first time they have any power on their record.
The drums are actually well recorded, for a change.
the songs themselves have power, but the way they were recorded/mixed sound so dull. listen to "spin" for example. pay attention to the kick and toms. they should be driving the intro very hard IMO, and it sounds like hes hitting a stack of text books. frankly, i havent listened to TBS in years, but i think musically, this is their best cd. other than that, i think they got boned on the mixing
Old 17th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtGarceau
What would I remix?

Slipknot - First Album

I don't think I can make any of the albums "better" but instead different.
Wait a second, I work in the room where that was cut! NOOOOOOOO!!!!! (joking)

I'd remix the Ben Harper Live from Mars 1st disc. Not my cup of tea at all.

C
Old 17th May 2006
Lives for gear

Jefferson Airplane--Volunteers
Or any JA album for that matter.
Old 18th May 2006
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by feyshay
Jefferson Airplane--Volunteers
Or any JA album for that matter.
I'm not sure...have your heard the original MONO mix of Surrealistic Pillow? There is nothing I would change about it. Perfection.

I just thought of another DIRE mix that I would love to fix - LET LOVE IN by NICK CAVE AND THE BAD SEEDS. Again, great songs - unlistenable.
Old 18th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufuss Sewell
If I could go back in time and proclaim myself minister of musical mixocracy, in charge of mixing ALL recorded music (which I would be able to do because I would also bring a G5 and Pro Tools with me so George Martin, Les Paul, Thomas Edison, what have you, would kneel at my feet) I would remix every album released before November 10th 1998 and auto-tune the hell out of them.

Then I would retire and the dude who produced Cher's "Believe" would find it fresh and exciting to NOT use auto-tune. Then I could listen to new music on the radio again.
Now THATS innovative.
Old 18th May 2006
AjD
Gear Addict

Quote:
I'm not sure...have your heard the original MONO mix of Surrealistic Pillow? There is nothing I would change about it. Perfection.
I remember when I was a teenager (mid-'80s), I got a hold of Surrealistic Pillow and thought it sounded so dated. Yet despite the production, there was something about the sound (and not just the great songs) that really drew me in. But I do remember feeling almost guilty for liking it ("if only the drums didn't sound so small and tinny," I remember thinking).

As times/aesthetics changed, I occasionally revisited the record - and slowly, the dated quality of the production completely evaporated for me. Now I can't hear anything objectionable even if I try (quite the opposite). What changed? Me? Society? I'm guessing that somewhere along the way, those 'dated sounds' became timeless.

Food for thought, remixers.

Best,
Adam
Old 29th June 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwagener
Back In Black - in surround
I did a DTS 5.1 custom mix of that album, just for my own personal use, of course...pretty cool!
Old 29th June 2006
SK1
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b i k
call me crazy............

soundgarden - badmotorfinger (too processed and flat)

jane's addicition - nothing's shocking (WAY too much verb and bad compression)

gregoire
del ubik
You're f'ing CRAZY !!

These are 2 albums that are close to my heart ....... you know good times.

Badmotorfinger ????? CRAZY !!!

LOL
Old 29th June 2006
SK1
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead
Metallica - ...And Justice For All

It's so dry and compressed, which works on a few of the songs but not ALL of them by any stretch. Also if it gave me the chance to make some of those 11 minute songs 5 minutes I'd gladly snip away...there are some really great metal riffs on that album but they drive them into the ground and it gets boring after a while.

War
I would make the bass audible. I heard Jason Newsted went into a depression when he heard the final mixes.
Bummer ...... bring up the pick definition in the bass !!!

Old 29th June 2006
Lives for gear

There are too many to mention but the one that I really would love to get my hands on would be Travis, The Man Who. I just feel the drums are in another room and I want to grab the lead singer and shake him up a bit to get some energy out of him.

The songs and arrangements are great but the mixing needs some tweaking.

btw- I saw them live in 2000(?) and they sucked. No energy.
Old 29th June 2006
Gear Nut

I guess this is on topic

Ive just been given some teddy pendergrass (smooth seventies soul singer, who is more than a bit like chef from south park) masters to remix (the want them to be more contemporary R&B), and getting all the tracks onto my daw was a very strange experience, they are very nicely recorded, but i must confess that listening to them, i didnt relish the task of turning them into something new or different.

Im thinking of turning the work down, because songs like 'love tko' (you'd know it if you heard it) are just great..it feels a bit dirty to go in there and start changing **** around, the mix is a moment in time, just like the performance was, and im not sure i feel good about f**king with it.

anyone else had anything like this when it came to remixing something they liked ?

sorry for the long post,

mavertron.
Old 30th June 2006
Lives for gear

OK, I'm gonna chicken out and say that I don't think I should remix it, but - Bowie's Aladdin Sane. Great music and some absolutely amazing performances, but the mix is really thin. And the vocals seem waaaay too quiet, especially on the opening track 'Watch That Man'. His later stuff is mixed far better IMO.

DP
Old 30th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neukoln
I would love to have a crack at TRANSFORMER by LOU REED.

I don't mind the mix but I find it a bit too polite (especially Vicious - that song just wants to break free but it never quite does).

I'd love to see if I could open it up a bit - give it a bit more grit and punch on the rock songs and release the "glowing" splendor of the ballads.
That's funny cause some of that album sounds amazing and some of it is downright strange.
I still wouldn't have that record sound any different than it always has.

I heard some Bowie Ziggy re-mixes, and although they were good mixes, I found them disturbing because I'm so used to the originals.
It's hard to f**k with history like that.
Old 30th June 2006
Lives for gear

my turn;

1. id turn up the bass on and justice for all

2. id have slayer re-record the entire hell awaits and show no mercy albums with andy sneap.(kind of like what testament did with first strike still deadly)

3. id remix everything i have recorded cause i can do it better now.

4. since twisted sister already re-recorded "stay hungry"( still hungry), id go and do a recall of the track were not gonna take it from still hungry and id fix the huge timing f**k-up they left in there right before the 1st verse kicks in. i still cant believe that got past anyones ears. it is insane. they must have been on drungs or something to let that one go to the pressing plant. i have never heard such a huge screw-up on a major label recording like that in my life. all it needed was a little nudging magic and it could have been perfect.

5. id re-mix all william hung songs with the master fader either DOWN OR OFF!!
than once i had that on dat id throw the dat into rush hour traffic in downtown bombay india.
Old 30th June 2006
Lives for gear

Better than Ezra - Deluxe (Can't hear the vocals, way too much FX)

Metallica - And Justice for all (Can't hear the bass)

Any Led Zeppelin record - I just think it would be fun! I would start by muting the vocals. I'd love to just sit and listen to John, John and Jimmy jam!
Old 30th June 2006
Gear Addict

Metallica - St. Anger

Rush - Vapor Trails

Dio - Holy Diver
Old 30th June 2006
Here for the gear

Ben Folds - Rockin the Suburbs.

He writes a song with the lyrics "producers fixing all my ****ty tracks" and then releases an album that's so squeaky-clean it has no character or feel.
Old 30th June 2006
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK1
These are 2 albums that are close to my heart ....... you know good times.

i love 'em too, just not a fan of the mixes. oh, to suck the 80's out of them and replace it with something organic and tasty... 70's meets new millenium, earthborn badassery.

gregoire
del
ubk
Old 30th June 2006
Gear Nut

The Roger Glover remixes of the original Purple stuff is really good, not only do they sound better but he included outakes and stuff.

I know this thread is just for laughs but the whole concept is a little disturbing to me. There are albums mentioned in here that i consider to be sonically awesome. I think its all a bit blah blah blah blah and a bit of fun but I am going to blame digidesighn and plug ins for this thread.
Why stop here lets touch up the mona lisa or I recon with new technology we could make sunflowers look better with a touch of blue. An album to us in the biz is a technical achievement. An album is a document of social, technological and musical benchmark for the moment in time it was made. Music is subjective and open to interpretation, but guys to suggest that we put protools anywhere near classics is criminally insane. Its like pissing on a Picassodfegad

I may be alone in this view but I gotta say critique is one thing but I feel its all a bit silly.
Sorry if I offend those who would improve perfection with the benefit of hindsight reminds me a bit of that old guitar player joke "how many guitar players does it take to change a lightbulb?.
Old 30th June 2006
The entire Van Halen catalog up to Hagar.
Old 30th June 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geddyleewannabe
Metallica - St. Anger

Rush - Vapor Trails

Dio - Holy Diver
I can understand the first two, ESP. St. Anger....arrrggg....I've heard basement demos that sounded better...but 'Holy Diver'?

I've done a personal 'Remaster' on it, and it sounds pretty damn good...the original isn't really bad, NOW, 'Sacred Heart' is another thing entirely....TERRIBLE!
Old 30th June 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by absrec
Metallica - And Justice for all (Can't hear the bass)
Agreed...but apparently that was a 'Band' decision.
Old 30th June 2006
Han
Lives for gear

It may be a tad arrogant, but I would like to remix almost everything done by YES, on an automated analog board.

And what I'm actually gonna do is remaster the Frank Sinatra song: 'it was a very good year'. I have this on a double CD (I'm still searching for a mint vinyl version) and IMHO this is one of the best orchestral recordings ever, but the parts with violins only sound very shrill. And these parts are going to sound much smoother after I'm done. I'll do this just for myself, because I love the music.
Old 30th June 2006
Gear Guru

The Who's "Tommy"stike
Old 30th June 2006
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUSCO
Raw Power by Iggy Pop & The Stooges
Yep. The Iggy remix is crap! Turning everything up, especially guitars, to the point of digital distortion does not create power! tutt
Try to get the drums and bass to sound cleaner and louder, then you'd have the start of something.
Old 30th June 2006
Lives for gear

"Freefall"... Dixie Dregs.
Old 30th June 2006
Mastering

Back in Black! I know I'll get screwed, chewed and diced for that one, but you have to have a Maverick in every crowd. This muti-million-selling record could have sounded much better. There is a balance between FATNESS and transient impact and in my not so humble opinion, Back in Black overstepped that bound. So I'd like to have a hand at the original tracks, and remix and remaster it. Good thing I wouldn't have to remarket it :-).

Yesterday I was mastering and the delicate balance between "optimum compression" and expression of dynamics is very critical. Backing off on the compressor did not always produce the best sound, and neither did vice-versa. This being a (former) major label artist that every one of you has heard of. I'll tell you who when the album comes out.

BK
Old 30th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC Productions
I can understand the first two, ESP. St. Anger....arrrggg....I've heard basement demos that sounded better...but 'Holy Diver'?

I've done a personal 'Remaster' on it, and it sounds pretty damn good...the original isn't really bad, NOW, 'Sacred Heart' is another thing entirely....TERRIBLE!

man, i wish the snare on holy diver didnt sound like paper. what a classic record it is though.
Old 30th June 2006
Gear Maniac

My Bloody Valentine : Loveless

no bass in this mix
Old 30th June 2006
Harmless Wacko

Bad news.

Mix has FASHION.

It ain't the CUT... it's the quality of the fabric and the stitching. No matter WHAT you do as far a conforming to "What sounds like today"(Which few admit and fewer still actually manage to AVOID)... it's probably gonna look kinda silly in the not so distant future.

Even if things go exactly as planned.... Chances run stupendously high that your "remixes" will be in to same boat as the originals in a few short years.

On the other hand.

Solid engineering principles endure. They are much more timeless, relatively speaking. But they seem to draw much less attention to themselves.... or the 'perception of production aesthetic' in the short game.

Some of the records mentioned in this thread are very solidly engineered.

No amount of "It ain't hip" tomfoolery can alter that.

Just a thought,

SM.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search