The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Buy a Pearlman TM1 Condenser Microphones
Old 6th March 2012
Gear Nut

Buy a Pearlman TM1

So I've read many reviews and people rave about this mic.

"It sounds like a U47 dude!" - Average comment on the TM1.

I'm wondering how to contact Dave Pearlman by email and if anyone knows the steps on payment process, and how we can 'test' them out which I've heard Dave sends out a Mic just for you to test it!?... Nice guy.

His website hasn't been updated in a while and Google isn't helping too much. So if anyone knows or has had past experience purchasing a Pearlman through Dave, please let me know!

--
P.S. Does it really sound like a U47?
Old 6th March 2012
Lives for gear

email: rtndrascal@aol.com

He is very good about answering emails.

There are quite a few threads about this mic, do a search. Dave is a great guy. He just did a circuit board upgrade on my TM1 at no cost.

I will be posting some T1 sound clips within the next 2 weeks.
Old 6th March 2012
Gear nut

I bought one a few years ago, he responded to my emails quickly. I purchased it through paypal.
I absolutely love the mic and it is my goto vocal mic.
TM1 + A-Designs Pacifica = sweet!
Old 6th March 2012
Gear addict

I own the original TM-1 before they updated the casing on it. I have the original black version with the handwritten "omni" dot, ha.

Dave is awesome. He is responsive and altogether helpful with any questions.
Old 7th March 2012
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicguitar View Post
I own the original TM-1 before they updated the casing on it. I have the original black version with the handwritten "omni" dot, ha.

Dave is awesome. He is responsive and altogether helpful with any questions.
+1, Dave IS awesome.
Old 7th March 2012
Lives for gear

+ 2 Dave is Awesome!
Old 7th March 2012
Lives for gear

+3 Dave is awesome. So is the mic.
Old 8th March 2012
Lives for gear
+4 Great mic. Just call Dave at the number on the website. He's very patient and understanding (cause it is quite a bit of money for most of us). And it will be one of the most enjoyable conversations you'll ever have. Just an all around great guy.
Old 8th March 2012
absolutely love the tm-1!
Old 9th March 2012
Lives for gear

I did a record with a TM-1. I'm in the minority here. I like my Beesneez James WAY, WAY more than the TM-1 I had. I ended up selling the TM-1. It was very strident on my voice.

James is butter.
Old 9th March 2012
Jai guru deva om

We have the TM1 in our Clipalator against a lot of stuff, but not an original U47 (yet!). Beefy and darkish...very full midrange sound.
Old 9th March 2012
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnybregar View Post
I did a record with a TM-1. I'm in the minority here. I like my Beesneez James WAY, WAY more than the TM-1 I had. I ended up selling the TM-1. It was very strident on my voice.

James is butter.
Nice to have someone have a different opinion. You tried both, you prefer James. OK.
If only all posts in GS where this civilized...
Old 9th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnybregar View Post

James is butter.

Hey -just curious- did your Pearlman TM1 have the early chinese built double backplate capsule or did it have the new singlebackplate capsule built by Ben Sneesby (Of Beez Neez), which Dave Pearlman now uses.

Curious- cause I got a Pearlman TM1 and with the chinese capsule it was unusable to me (too bright/harsh) but with the Sneesby single backplate capsule it is a lot smoother and is in a different ballgame.

I also got a Beez Neez James- and IME I prefer the TM1 - with the proviso being that it uses the Sneesby single backplate capsule.

Anyway good that you found the James to work for you.

GJ
Newcastle/OZ
Old 9th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by asagaai View Post
Hey -just curious- did your Pearlman TM1 have the early chinese built double backplate capsule or did it have the new singlebackplate capsule built by Ben Sneesby (Of Beez Neez), which Dave Pearlman now uses.
Interesting. No, it didn't have Ben's capsule. It was just before that.

jb
Old 9th March 2012
Jai guru deva om

I knew Dave was doing his own thing now so I asked him...!

From Dave Pearlman:

I am now using a K47 type capsule with brass made here in Simi Valley, CA and I am tensioning and tuning the diaphragms myself. I have been doing this for over a year now and everyone seems to be quite pleased with the result ( I think they sound better, too!).

War
Old 3rd June 2012
Gear maniac

Yes, it's true! The new capsules (with the brass made here in So California) are really great (IMHO)..... It's nice to have the QC in my own hands!
Old 3rd June 2012
Lives for gear

I have an older TM-1 for a number of years now and I have always loved how it sounds.I run an Electrodyne tube pre with it and it's so warm and huge and smooth and has sounded great with evey singer that I have recorded.I never have trouble sitting it in a mix later with very little eq most of the time no eq needed!!

on this mic!!!!
Old 3rd June 2012
Lives for gear

Love my TM1, I have the Black case one, great mic and sounds great on anyone I put in front of it. Dave is great
Old 16th September 2012
Gear Nut

You have many microphones sounding like a u47 even some with a total different hardware costing under $200. Even a dynamic microphone can sound like that with the right pre. Same thing can be found for u67 and u87 sounding mics.
Not guarantee they all gonna sounds like that after 2 years of intense use but well... heh

But the right classic elam 251 sound is very hard to get from other mics.
Good for Telefunken.
Old 16th September 2012
Jr. Gear Slut 2nd class

With all due respect, it's extremely unlikely (at best) ANY dynamic will sound just like a U47/67/87. Well... "maybe" on the right voice a Beyer M88 will be pretty close to a U87.

FWIW am a fan of some really cheap dynamic mics (AKG D790/EV 635a) on my own voice, but to expect something sublime "out of the box" ala U47 or U67 out of a $200 or less microphone is wishful thinking IMHO.

Had the opportunity to try out the TM1 a number of times at the NAMM show
and I just loved it too!kfhk

Chris
Old 16th September 2012
Lives for gear

The TM-1 is a good mic but it doesn't sound like a U47. The Flea 47 (no affiliation) sounds like a U47. Big difference.
Old 16th September 2012
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinealta View Post
The TM-1 is a good mic but it doesn't sound like a U47. The Flea 47 (no affiliation) sounds like a U47. Big difference.
true, but depend on the voice and pre and which U47.

Quote:
Originally Posted by
With all due respect, it's extremely unlikely (at best) ANY dynamic will sound just like a U47/67/87. Well... "maybe" on the right voice a Beyer M88 will be pretty close to a U87.
I don't think about the Beyer M88 :D but nice idea I'm gonna try this one just to see.
Old 16th September 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
You are simply wrong. But let's just say that we have different opinions. I have put the TM-1 next to a U47 and Beesneez Tribute and they all had the same vibe. Frankly I was amazed that the Pearlman sounded so close. At least the one I had. Black, early version, Peluso capsule and Telefunken EF14 tube.
Old 16th September 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasbeen View Post
You are simply wrong.
IMO, the TM-1 I heard did not sound like a U47. The difference was not subtle either. I'm not talking about having a similar "vibe" or "characteristics." I'm talking about whether two mics are indistinguishable. Close enough to cut together in a mix.

Having said that, the TM-1 is a good mic, a lot of people like it (including me) and Dave Pearlman has great customer service. It's also been used on some great sounding records.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OwDU7 View Post
Nice to have someone have a different opinion. You tried both, you prefer James. OK...If only all posts in GS where this civilized...
I agree. If only all posts in GS were civilized. "has been" clearly undermines his own credibility by declaring that the subjective opinion of another GS poster, on the subject of microphone sound, is "wrong." I didn't realize that "has been" is the final arbiter of the subjective sound of a microphone on GS.

It is this intolerance of those with views, different than one's own, which destroys the fabric of community here on GS. None of us are "wrong" or "right." We each have our own findings, based on our individual situations and express them in dialogue with others. We each have different mic-pres, monitors, ears, mic builds (capsule, tube, transformer etc).

Even Dave Pearlman will acknowledge that a TM-1, with a Peluso K67-type capsule, EF14 tube and Tamura transformers will sound different to a TM-1 with a BeesNeez capsule, EF80 tube, WIMA capacitors, CINEMAG transformer and updated circuit. Similarly, a U47 with a M7 PVC capsule and VF14 tube will sound different than a U47 with K47 Mylar capsule and EF14 tube (much less a Nuvistor).
Old 17th September 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
IMO, the TM-1 does not sound like a U47. The difference is not subtle either. I'm not talking about having a similar "vibe" or "characteristics." I'm talking about whether two mics are indistinguishable. Close enough to cut together in a mix.

Having said that, the TM-1 is a good mic, a lot of people like it and Dave Pearlman has great customer service.

I agree. If only all posts in GS were civilized. "has been" clearly undermines his own credibility by declaring that the subjective opinion of another GS poster, on the subject of microphone sound, is "wrong." I didn't realize that "has been" is the final arbiter of the subjective sound of a microphone on GS.

It is this intolerance of those with views, different than one's own, which destroys the fabric of community here on GS. None of us are "wrong" or "right." We each have our own findings, based on our individual situations and express them in dialogue with others. We each have different mic-pres, monitors, ears, mic builds (capsule, tube, transformer etc).
Geez, did you completely miss the part where I said "But let's just say that we have different opinions."??

Talk about taking a quote out of context.

Don't get so upset and offensive, man. I am not looking for, nor claim to have ANY credibility around this place.

You now say "I'm talking about whether two mics are indistinguishable" Ok, for that matter I guess that would disqualify any two U47's side by side. The Pearlman strives for the U47 sound and gets there quite nicely. You have a different opinion. Great. I would still encourage anyone looking for a less expensive alternative to a real U47 to try the Pearlman.
Old 29th December 2012
Here for the gear

i love my pearlman tm1, and dave always replies my emails if i have any doubt regarding the mic. best purchase ever!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search