The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Everybody flaming the Mackie 8 Bus Consoles
View Poll Results: Buy a Mackie 8bus?
Yep, it's fine!
62 Votes - 43.66%
Better look at Soundcraft / Soundtracs
47 Votes - 33.10%
Go Behringer! :-)
4 Votes - 2.82%
Never!
29 Votes - 20.42%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

Old 19th May 2006
Gear Maniac

So, i think i will wait some more months and then go for Soundcraft Ghost LE 32!
Meanwhile i will buy a Soundcraft Compact 10. Is it okay?

Thanks!

Volker
Old 20th May 2006
Gear Guru

wow, for the price range you're talking you can get a soundcraft 6000 or trident 65 and put some actual analog tone in your music.

gregoire
del ubik
Old 20th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b i k
wow, for the price range you're talking you can get a soundcraft 6000 or trident 65 and put some actual analog tone in your music.

gregoire
del ubik
I'll buy the ghost used, so i wont exceed 3000€ (i hope). Or are they in this range? heh

Volker
Old 22nd May 2006
Gear Addict

It gets old seeing folks flame the Mackie, the big problem is it has a trademark "sound" to it, but, I think the Manley line is great stuff but equipement also has a sound to it - a nicer sound than Mackie. An experienced engineer with a Mackie could probably get great results. I miss my Mackie sometimes.
Old 22nd May 2006
Lives for gear

Don't worry, as a long time Mackie owner, I'm used to it. People have been trashing them for years....of course they own more expensive boards and have to justify the extra money spent somehow. Imagine how'd you feel if you bought or were trying to sell a $50,000 board and the $3,500 Mackie were to do the same thing ...??? You'd be trashing the Mackie too. I hate to say it, but the Mackie 8 Buss ticked off a lot of people.

The truth is, as with any piece of equipment, the "garbage in/garbage out" rule applies. Just this weekend I played a commercially recorded cd thru the Mackie, and it sounded great. No funky sound or colorization, just pure, clean music. Of course if you have the eq set wrong it could sound funky, but when everything is zero'ed out as it's supposed to be, it sounds fine. Sometimes I'll boost the low and high shelving eq's just a few db's just for an extra kick.
Old 22nd May 2006
Gear Head

It's fine.

I havent read any of the other replies, but I have seen a lot of people here bagging on the Mackie 8-bus.

I have gotten some absolutely slamming drum tracks out of my Mackie 8-buss and I have seen some very successful Producer/Engineers do the same. They didn't complain about the board. They just put the mics up, got levels, twisted some knobs and let the drummer do his thing. Of course we went and mixed on a Trident, but the Mackie has always gotten me great basic tracks. Yah, it's a little cold, but when you push it, it has kind of nice crack to it.
Old 23rd May 2006
Gear Nut

As this is my first post I hope I don't make too many enemies.
I have owned the Soundcraft Spirit, the 24x4 Mackie and the Soundcraft Ghost.
All 3 consoles are in separate classes.
The Spirit is an off shore piesce of junk which I had to replace (club installation) within a week as I got an earful of complaints from the day I installed it. It ranks right up there with one of my worst all time buys. It is a toy with a lot of knobs.
The Mackie was the replacement and while it was tolerated, it did the job fine. I did manage to use it later in a recording role and while it was clean, it certainly is not much of a production console. The EQ is more of a tone control and not adequate for truely shaping sounds. It works fine as a submixer and should suffice fine for a computer based digital home studio. In 10 years I never had a problem with it but, I have heard horror stories that due to it's 'one big circuit board' construction, is a costly pain to have serviced. As one tech told me, "better to live with the dead channel."
The Ghost is in another class altogether and it is a true console. The baby brother and designed after my Soundcraft DC2020 flying automated production desk, (avatar) it does some things even better. In fine English tradition, it uses the same EQ points as the vintage consoles, namely 60Hz on the bottom and 12K5 on the top. Two fully parametric midband EQ's with variable "Q" allow full sculpting of instruments. You can really hear the equalizer. Like all English made Soundcrafts the console lines up perfectly and you can match unitly gain through out all stages of the mix process. You can't do that with the Mackie. There are 6 mono aux sends and 2 stereo aux on every channel. The patching and routing is the best I have seen on any console under $20K. The construction is nothing short of superb; there is a reason why a 24 channel mixer weighs in at a hefty 97lbs. not including dedicated power supply. This console also has excellent preamps, another Mackie short coming, and thus has a warmer musical sound. BUT MOST IMPORTANT: This is an inline console, which is truely essential if you are using it in a studio situation. I recommend the full version with computer controlled electronics.
If you are using the Mackie in a strict digital situation it will do fine. In all fairness I have not used the 32/8 version so I can't say whether it is a better board. If you want a true console and are mixing analog along with digital, the Ghost is in another class all together.
Old 23rd May 2006
Lives for gear

Not having any experience with the Ghost, I can't comment on that console.

But all this talk about consoles has led me to a new appreciation of my relic. Hey it's around 10 year old now, antique ?? Almost !!

Sooo, in an effort to preserve it for another 10 years or so, I decided to add a DIY dust cover to it, to keep it clean, and prevent any accidental liquids from spilling into it, when not in use. So I went to the local Lowe's to search out the perfect solution, and stay within a limited budget....after looking at many options from window shades to plexigalss sheeting, I found the holy grail of dust covers. I went into the drop ceiling section and found a 24"x 48" translucent plastic lighting diffuser panel with an interesting square pattern design imbedded in the plastic. It was on clearance sale for only $4.07. I had to cut it down in size to 24" x 36" to fit the Mackie 24 x 8. It fits perfect, looks cool, is lightweight, will indeed protect the board from dust and liquids, and still give me easy access to the board.
Old 25th May 2006
Lives for gear

Now that I have a proper dust cover, I decided to give the Mackie a really good cleaning, I mean a REALLY good cleaning. Taking off all the knobs soaking them in rubbing alcohol, wiping down the panel, toothbrush between the pots...ect...it's very tedious and time consuming but it's coming out looking like a brand new board. Well worth the effort.
Old 14th February 2016
Lives for gear

Still rocking that mackie Wayne?
Old 15th February 2016
Gear Guru

wow a 10 year bump...nice
Old 15th February 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vls View Post
Hi!

I'm interested in buying a Mackie 32/8bus console. Almost everybody at this forum flames when this console is the topic. Now I need facts why i really should / shouldn't buy this console and what i can expect from it.

Thanks ;-)

Volker
They're better than most people give them credit for and how well it serves you is dependent upon your application. The EQ's are notoriously bad, but again depends on application.

I had one in the late 90s that I used as a synth mixer going into a 32 track protools tdm rig. I summed to the 8 buss sends into ProTools. As my primary purpose was synths I was using the line inputs. I used outboard mic pres for acoustic inputs (guitars/ vox / etc).

It was great. I had the meter bridge, the routing and inserts were great for my needs. I would sync up a PC and run it into the mixer as well - it allowed for flexible and robust studio.

All that said I wasn't tracking Rock or Metal bands but I knew people that did. At the time people were either using the Mackie with chained ADATS or protools. Although you could mix in the box a lot of people were still mixing through the Mackie to utilize various hardware effects chains, summing to 2 track dat.

The 32-8 is somewhat underrated but it's primary problem was its engineering which made fixing dead/dysfunctional channels more hassle than it was worth. As the 32-8s (and 24-8s) got older there was the move to ITB mixing and summing - fixing a cumbersome low end mixer stopped being in any way attractive.

If I found a working one in good condition now, for the right price I would consider it - but I'd also live in fear of how long it would actually work before channel failures.
Old 15th February 2016
Lives for gear

Soundcraft Delta 8 crushes the Mackie. Send it down to Jim Williams for mods.
Old 15th February 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinealta View Post
Soundcraft Delta 8 crushes the Mackie. Send it down to Jim Williams for mods.
Which? The Mackie? (And in 2016..?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search