The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Everybody flaming the Mackie 8 Bus Consoles
View Poll Results: Buy a Mackie 8bus?
Yep, it's fine!
62 Votes - 43.66%
Better look at Soundcraft / Soundtracs
47 Votes - 33.10%
Go Behringer! :-)
4 Votes - 2.82%
Never!
29 Votes - 20.42%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

Old 16th May 2006
Lives for gear

It's all a matter of relativity. Talk to a Bently owner, he'll tell ya that Cadillacs are crap.

We must have a bunch of Bently owners here on the forum. The snobbery is unreal.
Old 16th May 2006
Gear Maniac

IMO the Ghost is a step up from the Mackie 8 buss. I made that exact step about 5 years ago and was very pleased with the Ghost at the time. I upgraded (so I thought) from the 1604vlz to the 32x8 then to the Ghost. I think the Mackie 1604vlz is a better sounding console than the 8 buss . Thats just my opinion tho. Now im spoiled with my new Neotek but thats a whole new league as far as price and quality.
I would say for the under $3k price point , the Ghost is probably the better choice.

-Brian
Old 16th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormkloud
IMO the Ghost is a step up from the Mackie 8 buss. I made that exact step about 5 years ago and was very pleased with the Ghost at the time. I upgraded (so I thought) from the 1604vlz to the 32x8 then to the Ghost. I think the Mackie 1604vlz is a better sounding console than the 8 buss . Thats just my opinion tho. Now im spoiled with my new Neotek but thats a whole new league as far as price and quality.
I would say for the under $3k price point , the Ghost is probably the better choice.

-Brian
ghost under 3k? i only found them over 5k.... and are there other good consoles between mackie and ghost?

thanks for the help!

Volker
Old 16th May 2006
Lives for gear

If the Soundcraft is so much better than the Mackie, why does Peter Gabriel have a Mackie 32 x 8 board at his studio ?? Huh? Huh?

Peter Gabriel is the kind of guy who could snap his fingers and have any kind of board he wants...so why do you suppose he has a Mackie ??
Old 16th May 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by djwayne

Peter Gabriel is the kind of guy who could snap his fingers and have any kind of board he wants...so why do you suppose he has a Mackie ??
Because Mackie gave it to him for free?
Old 16th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
cause no one ever records in "the bunker" and because every studio in the world puts its oldest rubbish into the D or E room ?
Old 16th May 2006
Lives for gear

Did they ??

Or did he buy it for it's many routing capabilities and usefulness in a studio enviorment ??

Even if they did give it to him for free, do think he'd build a whole studio (The Bunker) around a junk board ??
Old 16th May 2006
Lives for gear

"He uses his Mackie as keyboard submixer."

Amazing, that's what I do too.
Old 16th May 2006
Lives for gear

Baloney, Peter Gabriel could put an old junk SSL board in the junk room if he wanted too, yes ??
Old 17th May 2006
Quote:
Baloney, Peter Gabriel could put an old junk SSL board in the junk room if he wanted too, yes ??
maybe he wants a worst case scenario to see if the song is worth a damn... similar to making 4 tracks on a cassette work. if it works there it'll sound great in the big studio.

that'd be my guess.
Old 17th May 2006
Gear Addict

features - great bargain.
sound - big waste of money

the eq sucks and ours had lots of problems (remember the ribbon cable issue?)

The A & H GL2400 is $2k brand spanking new for 24 channels. Its marketed as a live console but has all the features to do just great in a studio. It has 4 busses, not 8 and no tape returns, but if you can live with that it blows the ****ing pants of the 24-8.

Dan Fox
Old 17th May 2006
i agree, for me the A&H is a step between Mackie and Soundcraft - closer to Soundcraft
Old 17th May 2006
Lives for gear

If anything Mackie/Alesis/Behringer moves towards U,
just go to another site of the street.
Old 17th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Hi!

Someone knows whether there are used Ghosts under 2200€/$ ?

And when i'd go spirit, which one would be best for me?

Nice Thread!

Volker
Old 17th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11413
maybe he wants a worst case scenario to see if the song is worth a damn... similar to making 4 tracks on a cassette work. if it works there it'll sound great in the big studio.

that'd be my guess.
Now you're really reaching for straws. Look, we're talking about Peter Gabriel here, you know, the guy that OWNS the SSL company. Do you really think he'd set up a room with a Mackie just so he could do a reference check ?????

Maybe he knows something ?? It's not the shoes.

To quote something I read on these forums a while back, "Put a professional mixer in a room full of equipment, and you'll get a professional mix, put a monkey in the same room, and imagine what'll happen. So are you a mixer, or are you a monkey ?"
Old 17th May 2006
Gear Maniac

You can get decent sounds out of them - if what's in front of the mic is good, the Mackie won't get in the way. Any board at the price level of a Mackie 8 Bus will leave you wanting something or other. Their longevity SUCKS, though! We've got two 16 channel 4-bus units here and both have failed within about 2.5 years - don't know if it's the master assign switches, etc, but the switches and pots in these things are cheap. It's all one circuit board, but it's repairable if you've got the time and chops.

You could do worse by trying to get something "vintage" for the same price. At least you have a known quantity in the Mackie. You won't fool yourself into thinking it's a "bargain Neve" like every other ****ing thing on the planet purports to be. It is what it is, it'll get the job done, you'll learn your craft better, and you'll eventually move on.
Old 17th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAProTulz
Their longevity SUCKS, though! We've got two 16 channel 4-bus units here and both have failed within about 2.5 years.
Either the 8-buss and 4-buss are two totally different machines or i've been blessed with an anomoly - but my 24/8 hasn't needed as much as a pot cleaning in the 10+ years i've had it. Turn on the power and start working. No tempermental jacks, pots, or meters. I know there are better sounding boards to be had, but at the time I bought it it was hard to find the same bang-for-the-buck and i'd have to say that it has treated me well and given me my monies worth.
Old 17th May 2006
Gear Maniac

They are a good value, IMHO. I'm shocked at how quickly ours have had problems, because I've used Mackies that've seen far more abuse and they've been fine. These have been sitting in two edit suites their entire lives. Oh yeah, we've got a 1202 that's starting to exhibit a failing pot or problem with the main mix buss now, too.

At least you can take the thing apart and fix it, if you know what to look for. They're definitely not complicated. The surface mount, single PCB construction makes things a bit more difficult when there is a problem, but it does keep them cheaper. They're no match for a modular board, that's for sure, but those are at least a level up in terms of cost and maintenance.

Mackies are great "plug and go" units - and they definitely have their sonic and workflow limitations, but really, they're not THAT bad!
Old 17th May 2006
Gear Maniac

alot of great sounding records were made w/ the mackie 8bus/adat combo a while back
Old 18th May 2006
Gear Maniac

So finally.... will the Mackie degrade my Sound quality? Am I right that there are only more expensive alternatives (Soundcraft Ghost)?

Volker
Old 18th May 2006
Lives for gear

I would strongly suggest you actually listen to one before buying, as the sound of any board is suggestive, and a matter of opinion. I'd hate for you to spend $1,000-3,000 for any board without listening to it to see if YOU like it, that's what is important.

Work the knobs, see how they feel to you in comparison to other boards. Check out the layout and input and output options, of a number of different boards before buying, to see what'll work out best for YOU.
Old 18th May 2006
Lives for gear

Tried working with it twice, on different projects.

Both times, the artist and I agreed it sounded crap. Just horrible EQ for a start. Buy anything else.

Whyne, please stop posting three posts one after the other, relax and formulate your posts first. I'm sure Ashleeee sounds just great thru your Mackie with your NS-10's sitting on top of your whatever other speakes you have, stuck in the corners of your room. fuuck
Old 18th May 2006
Lives for gear

Hey 7Hz, right back at ya...go f....yourselffuuck
Old 18th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Hi!

The final remaining questions are:
1) How much is a used GhostLE 32? I think too much....
2) Which consoles are in my range:
* Mackie 32 8bus
* Soundcraft Spirit (which ones are ok for me?)
* Soundtracs 32 / 8 / 2
* Soundtracs Topaz Project 8 / 32
* Tascam (are there somes?)
* Soundcraft Ghost

Volker
Old 18th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vls
Hi!

I'm interested in buying a Mackie 32/8bus console. Almost everybody at this forum flames when this console is the topic. Now I need facts why i really should / shouldn't buy this console and what i can expect from it.

Thanks ;-)

Volker
Because for the money, it sounds like ****.
Old 18th May 2006
Lives for gear

i just taught a hands-on recording class with lecture at my old highschool. got home about an hour ago. they've got a 32.8 and a PTLE system. and about 50 AKG C1000s.

sounded pretty awful compared to what i'm used to working with. that's all i can say.

i'd also like to point out that even though these kids have taken this class all year long, they don't know a goddamned thing, maybe with the exception of a dead patch. and that kind of bummed me out. none of them care about recording at all. it's just a free credit to them. and these are the kinds of kids that'll go to full sail or sae because they get rejected from every regular school. ugh.
Old 18th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaneldon

i'd also like to point out that even though these kids have taken this class all year long, they don't know a goddamned thing, maybe with the exception of a dead patch. and that kind of bummed me out. none of them care about recording at all. it's just a free credit to them. and these are the kinds of kids that'll go to full sail or sae because they get rejected from every regular school. ugh.
Awww, that's depressing. Hey, Sean, would you pass the pistol when you're done with it?
Old 18th May 2006
Lives for gear

you have no idea.

Sean: "Hey, Ryan, channel 13 is getting no input signal. Wanna try switching the XLR cable?"

Ryan: "................................"
Old 18th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vls
Hi!

Someone knows whether there are used Ghosts under 2200€/$ ?

And when i'd go spirit, which one would be best for me?

Nice Thread!

Volker
A 24 channel Ghost failed to get any bids on UK Ebay at £1200 day before last.
Old 18th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Wow! so i could get a ghost LE 32 for 2000€? I would wait!

Volker

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search