The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Eventide H 3000 S
Old 15th May 2006
Lives for gear

Eventide H 3000 S

Hello, I got an Eventide H 3000 S in a trade for cheap. Its in great shape,
just hooked it up and tested it.
Should I keep this puppy and use it as an external FX processor in Cubase SX, or sell it on ebay.
I could really use a pair of nice pres (API) to compliment the nice mics I have, and maybe get a few more bucks per hour in my studio.
I've seen the H 3000's around for years, just never used one personally.
Thanks~!
Matt
Old 15th May 2006
Lives for gear

it didnt impress you ? no ?
sell it !

me loves em
Old 15th May 2006
Gear Addict

I would sell it.
Old 15th May 2006
Lives for gear

Thanks guys!
I didn't give it a good enough test to tell how great it sounded.
Just wanted to make sure it wasnt DOA>
I think I'll use it on a mix or two and get it up on ebay.
Can still get 5-7 bills for it.
I would like to get that UA Roland delay and the plate reverb.
Matt
Old 15th May 2006
There is SO much you can do with an H3000S that is worth WAY more than the 5 to 7 bills you could get for it.

That product was the original "Audio Swiss Army Knife" (to quote Bob Clearmountain). I wish I still had mine (and my SP2016, and my DSP4000, and my matched-pair OmniPressor).

Anyway, it'll do stuff for Vox, Guitar (acoustic and electric), bass,m drums, keys, synths and horns that you wouldn't belive - in the right hands, it is an instrument in its own right.

I would call Eventide and see if you can still get the H3000-SE upgrade, and/or the Sampler board - it triggers faster than a TC Delay - and you'd have a mighty powerful DSP effects system that'll out-shine any plug-in. Of course, 2 channels at a time :(

Don't forget, the analog stage was done by Dave Derr of Empirical Labs (as were most of the Reverb presets in the SE model) so the A-to-D is clean and the unit has tons of headroom (and 16dB of gain) so you can print tracks with it if you need more channels.

The main pitch shift and delay tap algorithms were written by Ken Bogdanowicz of Wave Mechanics/Sound Toys, so be bold and season to taste!

-gil
Old 16th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rednose
Should I keep this puppy and use it as an external FX processor in Cubase SX, or sell it on ebay.
I would definitely keep it. I just bought one myself ($800) and am very happy with it. There's so much you can do with a quality outboard FX unit. I'm particularly interested in realtime vocal processing and the reverbs. Also, you can still buy upgrade boards from Eventide that will give you additional effects and presets. Lots of the presets in that box were designed by/for some big names.

Basically this unit was a Ferrari back in its day, and now it's like a classic muscle car that is just a kick ass piece of machinery. I think it's a must-have, as I always lusted after one of these when I was growing up. Back in high school, all I could afford was an ART SGX-2000, which taught be the basics of DSP and how effects work. Now I finally have an outboard unit I'm really proud of. I just hope it keeps working for a long time to come....
Old 16th May 2006
Lives for gear

Wow, interesting stuff guys, thanks!
I have 2 cds I will be mixing in the next few weeks, so I'll do my best not to be tempted to throw it on ebay before giving it a fair shot.
I would really like to see how it sounds on vocals and snare drum.
2 important things that plug ins haven't cut the mustard for me as of yet.
I set it up as an External FX in cubase just to make shure it worked.
I need to get adaptors to get it into my 1/4" TRS patch bay.
Thanks for your time!
Matt

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search