The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Cheaper FET47 kik drum mic alternatives?
Old 15th May 2006
Gear Nut

Cheaper FET47 kik drum mic alternatives?

Anyone digging anything under 1K as a front of kick drum mic these days? Most of my drum tracking is going to be modestly ambitious in my own studio but in general I have grown awfully fond of the Fet47 (also a TLM 170 from time to time) in front of the kick, it's hard to imagine not having something in that "LDC front of kick" capacity. For my own usage I am having a hard time parting with 1.5K - 2.5k for a Neumann FET or a Soundelux iFET7 just for this application (not that there aren't many other applications for these mics). Anyone using the Lawson FET47 in this capacity? Other mics? Thanks!

Larry Heinemann
Old 15th May 2006
Gear Maniac

I duno about a FET47 but recently on a couple of sessions I threw up a 414 on Kick with good results. Twice deciding to use it as my only kick mic. Price wise its pretty incredible for such a work horse.

>>AG
Old 15th May 2006
Gear Maniac

I can't compare it to an original Fet47 but I am digging the AT4047 in this capacity and I have heard several other people say the same thing. Sweet sounding with loads of character and less than half a grand.
Old 15th May 2006
Gear Guru

i like my coles 4038 about 4 feet in front of kick drum ... down low ... about 18" off the ground ...

about half the price of Fet47 and can be uesd on way more things .. unique sound also

john
Old 15th May 2006
Gear Guru

I'm getting good things with the 4047 also. Chris Garges has been hyping the Lawson FET47 to me lately...
Old 15th May 2006

Unfortuantely, there is no cheap FET 47 alternative...
Old 15th May 2006
Jai guru deva om

It's a tube mic, but the sE Electronics "Gemini" is an excellent candidate for front of kick. Anything you need HUGE = the Gemini gets it done.

The BLUE Mouse = very big sound also, designed for kick use as well.

War
Old 15th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead
It's a tube mic, but the sE Electronics "Gemini" is an excellent candidate for front of kick.
War
Yeah... I can see that.
Old 15th May 2006
Lives for gear

I might get slammed for this but I have been using a Rode NT2000 for micing the front kick - lots of PAD and Freq roll off options, it is very low noise, can handle extremely high SPL's, reasonably cheap ($600) and can be used for other applications as well. Seems to work for me

Additionally - although it sounds nothing like a FET U47, what about the Yamaha Sub Sick ($350 to $399)? It is specifically deisnged for the application you are talking about for a fraction of the price, good luck.
Old 15th May 2006
Gear Addict

AT 4047 or MD421 then again ive never even used a mic over 500.00
Old 16th May 2006
Lives for gear

The Lawson L47 FET is an amazing mic. It's the closest thing I've heard to a Neumann FET 47, which I LOVE outside a kick drum. Gene Lawson is also a terrific builder with a well-deserved reputation.

This past weekend, I got to use a Soundelux 195 (I think) on kick and it was quite nice. It was a bit more present-sounding in the midrange than the Lawson. Much more similar to the BLUE Mouse, which I've also used and like outside a kick drum. I think for most applications, though, the mushier-sounding tone of the Lawson is making it as my first choice for use in conjunction with another mic. There's just something about it that I really like. It's also a little nicer in most vocal applications than the FET47 and works equally well on electric guitar amps.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
Old 16th May 2006
Lives for gear

u195 makes a great kick mic
i use the pad
Old 16th May 2006
One more vote for the Lawson
Old 16th May 2006
I'm a fan of the U195 outside the kick.
Old 16th May 2006
Lives for gear

AT4047 ,I have really great mic collection but there is no drum set-up where the 4047 is not featured thumbsup mostly on kick but great on toms and one of my favorite OH mic when Phat rock sound needed

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search