The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Preamp history
Old 14th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Preamp history

When did people start using outboard preamps? at what point did recording studios start investing in mic pres other than the ones in the console? what started the tube vocal pre? i am curious as to the origin of A-design MP or manley style preamps.
Old 15th May 2006
Lives for gear

There's a thread here somewhere about that very subject, and I think it was active fairly recently. IIRC, Slipperman and William Wittman put the gloves on and duke it out over which console was reviled enough to spur the boutique preamp movement.

edit: There you go:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/showthrea...hlight=friggin
Old 15th May 2006
There were folks using boutique preamps back in the 80s when I was coming up.

My favorite small format (16/1") studio cost more per hour than a lot of 24/2" studios but it had a sweet mic locker and a couple of nice preamps (even though he had a pretty nice board, IIRC) that he tended to use. I'd heard of people doing it but this guy was a master of working the small studio. (Mike McDonald -- not the Doobie Bro -- he got a grammy back a few years ago for a Hellecasters album but I've lost track in recent years; great guy, though, learned a lot producing in his studio.)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search