The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Patchbays - Normal, Half Normal. Which one and when???
Old 14th May 2006
Lives for gear

Patchbays - Normal, Half Normal. Which one and when???

Hi Guys,

Patchbays, I've always been a bit confused with the normal/half normal concept .
Which one do you use and why? Inserts for example, "Y" cable into the mixer, other 2 ends into rear of the patchbay, patchbay set to... normal, half normal... I'm obviously missing the point so bear with me until the penny drops!

Thanks in advance

Steve
Old 14th May 2006
Lives for gear

fully normalled for mic lines (can't split phantom) and half normalled for everything else is how i do it.
Old 15th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil
Cheers Reptil. Good articals!

I feel a right prick! I've spent my life studying the science of sound and audio equipment trying to learn as much as possiable yet have never grasps a simple patchbay

Cheers mate

Steve
Old 22nd February 2014
Hal
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
fully normalled for mic lines (can't split phantom) and half normalled for everything else is how i do it.
Yes, I think this is the best solution. But my doubt is about the patch where to connect the preamps. Probably it would be good to keep them normalled.
What is the reason to keep them half normalled?
Old 22nd February 2014
Lives for gear

I have it running through my console like the above poster said but pre amps and effects are thru. That way I can patch any pre amp or effect nto any patth anywhere along the chain.
Old 22nd February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal View Post
Yes, I think this is the best solution. But my doubt is about the patch where to connect the preamps. Probably it would be good to keep them normalled.
What is the reason to keep them half normalled?
Guess it's a good enough question to raise a 8 year old thread: it's to listen to whatever signal is being modified before it's modified.

Patchbays
Old 22nd February 2014
Lives for gear

Switchcraft : StudioPatch® Series Bantam / TT Audio Patchbays

These are actually damn cool because they are modular meaning you don't have to buy more than you need to start. Plus they are TT front panel switchable and pre wired to DB25 and Switchcraft is a decent company. I am about to use them for a new setup I am putting together myself

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search