The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Soundproofing
Old 4th March 2012
Gear Nut

Soundproofing

I have a small dorm room...and I'm looking to record vocals but I can't make much noise for obvious reasons...how do I go about soundproofing my room for cheap (so that I can record at night)?
Old 4th March 2012
Lives for gear

You can't in a dorm room. People confuse "sound proofing" with "sound treatment".

Sound treatment (putting up foam, etc.) changes how things sound in the room, but do nothing to keep it from being heard outside the room

Soundproofing can only be done using construction methods, like having air gaps between walls, double doors with layers in between, floating floors, things of that nature.

Being that you're in a dorm, there's nothing you can really do.
Old 4th March 2012
Lives for gear

There is a whole forum devoted to this type of thing. Check there as there is a wealth of knowledge.
But as already stated, you can change the sound of the space easily enough, but it will most likely not be practical to isolate to keep wanted sound in and unwanted sound out.
Old 4th March 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tektonic View Post
I have a small dorm room...and I'm looking to record vocals but I can't make much noise for obvious reasons...how do I go about soundproofing my room for cheap (so that I can record at night)?
about the only thing I can think of that would let you record in your dorm at night would be to build one of these in the middle of your room:

about $3500 for a 4 x 4

That IS the cheap end of what you are asking for. Maybe you could find a used one. I suppose if you were really handy, had a good blueprint, and you built something just like it yourself, with equivalent mass, similar airtight seal and decoupled construction, maybe you could do it for the cost of materials... something like half that? Of course, where would you sleep?

You could cover every inch of the walls in your dorm room with foam or blankets and it would not make any appreciable difference to how annoyed your neighbors got.
Old 5th March 2012
Here for the gear

tektonic:
"I have a small dorm room...and I'm looking to record vocals but I can't make much noise for obvious reasons...how do I go about soundproofing my room for cheap (so that I can record at night)? "

Hi tektonic:

When i read the response from nst7
" Being that you're in a dorm, there's nothing you can really do."
I just jumped!
I have an exact solution for your situation:
we make a mobile vocal booth that is acoustically treated, so to speak ,on the inside with sound blanket, corner sound / bass traps and changeable roome geometry, and it has an optional sound block layer of the Limp mass membrane on the outside ( this is what will make your neighbours happy). The product is still in the prototype stage as we are working on the making the sound barrier more durable. Currently we USE MLV with 1lb/ft density. But if you donot handle it gently it can tear. (we are tryimg to add a layer of fabric reinforcement to it).
You can look at it here: Mobile Sound Booth, portable soundproof vocal booth for audio recording studio with acoustic bass traps. Portable mini vocal booth. (site is still not fully functional). But the product is available. The size that woud probably work for you is 40W x 40L x80H inches. ( also availabel in 80 x 40 and 80 x 80 footprintg, the height is under 92 inches to fit in a standard apartment) Booth can be dismantled and stored under your bed when not in use.
Assembly takes about 15 -20 minutes . Blankets have NRC of 0.75 and the soundblock has STC of 27. Fully equipped, it is very comparable in soundproofing quality with the Whisperroom and it is only fractionm of a cost.
Let me know if you have questions i will go into more details.

Jeff.
Moving blankets for sale, Premium quilted moving blankets at wholesale price. Custom Blankets, Custom Furniture covers,

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search