The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
RNP reviews please
Old 14th May 2006
Lives for gear

RNP reviews please

Thinkin about pickin up an FMR RNP... I have a couple RNC's and think that they rock (for the price) So I have faith in FMR's stuff. Can anyone vouche for the RNP? I've read a couple of good reviews on the web but I thought that I would consult with my fellow slutz first.
Old 14th May 2006
Lives for gear

meh..i wasnt impressed with it. friend left his with me for a week(and took my millennia and DAV) to see what it had...didnt care for it at all..high noise floor, strident highs, decent midrange, but low end was lacking.

do a search on DAV BG-1, thats a much better option,
Old 14th May 2006
Here for the gear

With a good Mic plugged into it the RNP does a very good job.
Old 14th May 2006
Strident highs? Hmm.

That definitely wasn't my experience with a similar 'sleepover' visit from a buddy's RNP. And I used it with at least one mic that's sometimes called 'strident' -- a Studio Projects C1. (I also used it with an NT1. Sadly, the Ferrari was in the shop... as they say at the bus bench.)

I liked the RNP a lot. Admittedly, I don't have any high end pres, either, and have not been using any in a fair while.

I don't know if it would be my pick for the one-pre desert island -- I found it to be fairly characterful -- but quite flattering on most of what I did. Still, if I could ONLY have one mic pre, I would pick something more neutral. But if I could have two -- and I was on a real world budget -- it would certainly make the short list...
Old 14th May 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by T.RayBullard
meh..i wasnt impressed with it. friend left his with me for a week(and took my millennia and DAV) to see what it had...didnt care for it at all..high noise floor, strident highs, decent midrange, but low end was lacking.

do a search on DAV BG-1, thats a much better option,
Does the DAV have instrument line inputs?
Old 14th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by littledoodler
Does the DAV have instrument line inputs?

It is in the works, but not yet. However, people have been using it to drive DI boxes.

Teddy
Old 14th May 2006
Lives for gear

Yeah, and I admit that I dont hear things like a lot of others do..but that is definitely what I heard. I used 5 different mic pairs with it, and though some were better than others, I wasnt fond of it overall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1
Strident highs? Hmm.

That definitely wasn't my experience with a similar 'sleepover' visit from a buddy's RNP. And I used it with at least one mic that's sometimes called 'strident' -- a Studio Projects C1. (I also used it with an NT1. Sadly, the Ferrari was in the shop... as they say at the bus bench.)

I liked the RNP a lot. Admittedly, I don't have any high end pres, either, and have not been using any in a fair while.

I don't know if it would be my pick for the one-pre desert island -- I found it to be fairly characterful -- but quite flattering on most of what I did. Still, if I could ONLY have one mic pre, I would pick something more neutral. But if I could have two -- and I was on a real world budget -- it would certainly make the short list...
Old 15th May 2006
Lives for gear

I do like this preamp a lot. I don't hear it as being colored as most pres this price range. For the money IMO it rocks. I used it on a kick with a D112....wow. My gripes are that the knobs keep falling off, the gain stage is counterintuitive and it looks like poop. I did buy a RNC and stuck it in a funk logic rack. nice.
Old 15th May 2006
Lives for gear

http://www.fmraudio.com/orderinginfo.htm#satisfaction

I bought one and gave it to my second for her birthday shortly after they came out. Not my cup of tea.
Old 15th May 2006
Quote:
Yeah, and I admit that I dont hear things like a lot of others do..but that is definitely what I heard. I used 5 different mic pairs with it, and though some were better than others, I wasnt fond of it overall.
Sure... it could be a range of variables affecting our different opinions. Obviously, different mics hit different pres in diffferent ways; impedance issues change tonal balance as well as dynamic aspects; and, of course, we have different ears. (I'm tempted to add... what's left of mine. heh )

But when I think of "strident" I think of an over-prominence of upper-mid, lower highs and that is not how I would characterize the unit I had here working with the couple mics I tried it on.

Reasonable minds can certainly disagree on subjective judgements.

Old 15th May 2006
Jai guru deva om

You really should hear one before making the decision if you can though, and an internet search around here, homerecording.com or harmony-central's forums will net you all the info you could ever want if you don't go the "user your ears" route. Mercenary will let you return it if you don't like it, and they're the same price as about anyone else on them.

War
Old 15th May 2006
Lives for gear

I agree!

Now, FWIW, the DAV is one of those pres that does not carry the "for the money" identifier. It is world class, no matter how cheap it is, money-wise. Ive owned many preamps, from 500.00 to 4,000 dollars for 2 channels, and the DAV rules them all in my book. Ive got a fancy millennia HV-3C Bookend though.Hasnt been on the job with me since DAV arrived. (I am a location classical re)
Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1
Sure... it could be a range of variables affecting our different opinions. Obviously, different mics hit different pres in diffferent ways; impedance issues change tonal balance as well as dynamic aspects; and, of course, we have different ears. (I'm tempted to add... what's left of mine. heh )

But when I think of "strident" I think of an over-prominence of upper-mid, lower highs and that is not how I would characterize the unit I had here working with the couple mics I tried it on.

Reasonable minds can certainly disagree on subjective judgements.

Old 15th May 2006
Gear Addict

My reply is probably a typical one...it's a great pre for the money. When I got my Portico Pre I had no desire to sell the RNP, it will impart a different color as well as function as a DI.

Soo, if you're on a limited budget and this is your only pre, it's the best you'll get for the $, IMHO. If you have other pre's, the RNP may be a good complement. If you have a lot more $ to spend and this is your only pre, I'd look into higher end models.
Old 15th May 2006
i have an mbox, and the preamps have pretty short headroom. I would asume the rnp has more headroom...
Old 15th May 2006
Gear Nut

A few days ago a RNP was used in a session to record my bass. I enjoyed playing.
Old 15th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Cant go wrong with it on dist guitar... does the job VERY well. Not bad on vox either... FWIW, I've tried it on many typical sources.

-C
Old 15th May 2006
Lives for gear

It's a preamp people.

The RNP does a good job of staying out of the way, for the most part.

Sure there is better. Stuff that is more transparent or more coloured, etc etc.

But the quest will ever go on.

For the price, you get 2 decent channels. If you can't make a decent recording with the RNP, it's definitley not the gear's fault...
Old 15th May 2006
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben_allison
It's a preamp people.

The RNP does a good job of staying out of the way, for the most part.

For the price, you get 2 decent channels. If you can't make a decent recording with the RNP, it's definitley not the gear's fault...
you speak the truth!
Old 15th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:

The general tone of this response could most likley be used on counless GS threads. Nicely put man, appreciate the input.
Old 15th May 2006
Lives for gear

The damn thing is flat out to 200kHz, with a forced rolloff at 300kHz !!! It's like cleaning a dirty window. Very transparent sounding to me. Also an amazing amount of headroom. The D.I. is something else - absolutely wonderful on bass.

Down side is that it starts to get noisy at max gain, it has small knobs, and it's not very impressive looking.
Old 15th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey Gerst
Down side is that it starts to get noisy at max gain, it has small knobs, and it's not very impressive looking.
Dude, rawk and roll is all ABOUT noize!!!!!!!!

And it's not the size of the knobs that matters...it's how you use them.
Old 15th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Dude, rawk and roll is all ABOUT noize!!!!!!!!

And it's not the size of the knobs that matters...it's how you use them.

Mr. Gerst probably knows how to use those knobs more than any person here on this forum. Yep, ANYONE. He is a brilliant mind, and his age alone commands respect.

Noise for me is an issue since I record classical music.
Old 16th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Mr. Gerst probably knows how to use those knobs more than any person here on this forum...Noise for me is an issue since I record classical music.
Yeah...my last post was thoroughly to be taken as tongue-in-cheek...

I guess they have different coloquialisms across the pond
Old 16th May 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey Gerst

Sounds like somebody I dated in junior high....
Old 16th May 2006
Lives for gear

I think the RNP is pretty good for the price. 2 channels. Works well. I think I'd still go for a DAV or Brick single channel. For 2 channels, I'd probably spend up a bit higher and try out the Apogee 2 channel (or the mini-me and get some conversion and limiting/compression options to boot).
Old 16th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Mr. Gerst probably knows how to use those knobs more than any person here on this forum. Yep, ANYONE. He is a brilliant mind, and his age alone commands respect.

Noise for me is an issue since I record classical music.
It would probably only be an issue with low output microphones. Other than the last two settings, it's pretty darn quiet. The transparency of the RNP is amazing.

Thank you for the undeserved compliments. My age is about to go up another notch in less than two weeks. I consider "waking up" to be among my greatest accomplishments these days.
Old 16th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah...my last post was thoroughly to be taken as tongue-in-cheek...

I guess they have different coloquialisms across the pond

Im from NC, just happen to be based in Germany. I dont understand yankee-speak. Maybe thats it.
If you have the money, go for the DAV. You wont regret it.
Old 16th May 2006
Gear Addict

RNC = Good
RNP = No good. Weak bass - quite dissapointed.
Old 22nd May 2006
Here for the gear

I'm no badass, so take this with a few grains, but I like it a lot. It's not as premium as stuff I've gotten to work with but it's way better than anything I've owned, which isn't saying all that much heh

It does indeed have audible noise in the 60 and 65 db positions, but this has not been a problem for me.

Littledoodler, I don't particularly like how it sounds when it starts working very hard but yes it has MUCH better headroom than the M-box pre's. Actually, if you're coming from the M-box it may actually give you an honest to God warm fuzzy moment.

For Vox I really like it and it plays nice with my U-195. If I did a more aggressive thing I might feel differently but I no longer feel like I can blame my current tracking issues on my pre.

I was looking forward to using it as a bass DI but I have been a little disappointed there. I have an active and am in the habit of tracking with my tone controls zeroed, not cause I have stellar EQ's but so I don't have to chase tone for punches. It does seem light on the low end and I always find myself reaching for my pots to goose it. that's really my only issue with the thing.

Ac guitar sounds pretty damn good too, enough so that I've stopped feeling I have to use coincident SDC's to get enough "dimension"

FMR has great customer service too. The first one I got had a bad channel and they were all class about it. Kept my good channel till the new one arrived and they payed shipping both ways.

I probably will wind up upgrading in the not too distant future but if there's a better deal out there for 5 bills I'd LOVE to hear about it.

Regards,

mousdrvr
Old 3rd June 2006
Here for the gear

RNP Pleases me

I just picked up my RNP. I love it for recording guitar amps.
I am running my sennheiser 421 into the RNP, into the Delta 1010. I feel like my tone is coming in think and hot... sexy

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search