The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
RNP reviews please
Old 3rd June 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanEldred
Sounds like somebody I dated in junior high....

Awesome...
Old 3rd June 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey Gerst
The damn thing is flat out to 200kHz, with a forced rolloff at 300kHz !!! It's like cleaning a dirty window.
You lost me - can you elaborate when you have a moment?

-Christian
Old 3rd June 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben_allison
It's a preamp people.

The RNP does a good job of staying out of the way, for the most part.

Sure there is better. Stuff that is more transparent or more coloured, etc etc.

But the quest will ever go on.

For the price, you get 2 decent channels. If you can't make a decent recording with the RNP, it's definitley not the gear's fault...
Worth quoting again!

The DI on these is excellent on bass as has been noted, and though I don't use the pre's a lot they do get chosen over my Shadow Hills, OSA, and Great River from time to time.

The build quality is crap but that's why these are so cheap. Most importantly the original poster said he had RNC's that he was fond of and my favorite use of my RNP is to balance my RNLA or RNC.Then I use the line input of the RNP to run other pre's through those compressors. thumbsup

Racked in a Funklogic tray with an RNC the whole thing looks fine and gets a lot of work because of the many ways I can use it. I have heard great things about the DAV but I don't believe you would be able to ask it to wear all these extra hats.

Just another 2¢

Stephen
Old 7th July 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABBA
RNC = Good
RNP = No good. Weak bass - quite dissapointed.
If you're experiencing weak bass, you have an connection problem; the RNC goes down flat to around 10Hz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunasafedolphin
You lost me - can you elaborate when you have a moment?
The RNP is flat in response out to 200KHz. Mark put in an 18dB per octave roll off filter to limit the response above that point. The -3dB point on the RNP is around 300KHz. The net effect is similar to cleaning a dirty window; the highs are unveiled and it sounds like the RNP adds another octave of top end.
Old 7th July 2006
Lives for gear

if, like me, your moving up from things like a dmp3 or digimax lt you'll notice an improved clarity in the mids that alone seems worth the price of admission.

i personally have little "quality" gear to compare it to though.
Old 7th July 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by giraffe
if, like me, your moving up from things like a dmp3 or digimax lt you'll notice an improved clarity in the mids that alone seems worth the price of admission.

i personally have little "quality" gear to compare it to though.
Well, we have two Great Rivers (MP-2 and MP-2NV), a Millenia Media SST-1 Origin, a Sebatron, and a Drawmer 1960. The RNC hangs in there quite nicely with all of those.
Old 8th July 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey Gerst
Well, we have two Great Rivers (MP-2 and MP-2NV), a Millenia Media SST-1 Origin, a Sebatron, and a Drawmer 1960. The RNC hangs in there quite nicely with all of those.
I very much agree! I have Shadow Hills Mono Gammas, OSA L-3's, Great River (MP-1NV) and Vintech x73i and IMO the RNP belongs in that company.

I secretly guess that most folks who don't care for it are listening with their eyes but I stress that this is JUST an opinion heh

Stephen
Old 8th July 2006
Lives for gear

A little off topic...I got an RNLA about a month ago and am pretty blown away by how cool it is...especially for the $...what a cool box!
Old 9th July 2006
Gear Maniac

I've done some shootouts with an RNP against a Phoenix DRS (vocals, electric, acoustic and bass guitars) and while I was thoroughly impressed with how well the RNP held up, IMO it's definitely not in the same class as a higher end pre.

The real difference is in lows (or lack thereof) and the highs (just not the same clarity and that extra sparkle or air).

But when you consider it's about a 1/4 of the price per channel it equates. As a first decent pre it's a great purchase. It's not an ideal pre for classical style music because of it's admittedly high noise floor (by FMR themselves), but for most home studio enthusiasts it's a great entry level pre. It has just enough color to add something to your tracks while still being fairly neutral.thumbsup

Theo
Old 9th July 2006
Lives for gear

I never took to mine. It was a transition pre. Definitely better than the Joe Meek stuff and Presonus MP-20 I had, but never liked it. Sounded kinda plasticy and the Di sounded kinda small to me. Once I got the PM-1000 board, the RNP didn't sound better on anything ever. I really tried to find something it sounded better on, but couldn't. So I sold it.
Old 9th July 2006
Gear Nut

Great for the money. Sat along in my rack next to Phoenix, Langevin, A-Designs, Purple, 2108 etc quite happily til I sold it to a friend to help put towards an old Gibson. Really nice on electric guitars with light overdrive, works pretty well on OH as well. It was intended as a utility pre, but now and again ended up being used over my more expensive units. Doesn't make miracles happen, but like noted, it's totally capable and a good value.
Old 9th July 2006
Gear Addict

2 channels with inserts and instrument inputs for $500...
The DAV may be cleaner but is more $ and no inserts or DI's

I've used mine on every source imaginable with mics ranging from 57's to a Soundelux iFet, U195, and Neumann TLM103. It always sounds good and occasionally superb. It stays out of the way. Its reasonably clean and has plenty of headroom. Maybe not the best choice for ribbon mics because it does get noisy at the highest gain settings. I've used it alongside the Great River NV and didn't feel like it was a lower class. I can't think of any other 2 channel pre in the $500 or under category that would be as useful as this.

Dan Fox
Old 9th July 2006
Lives for gear

my rnp

I love my RNP! Amazing DI for Bass (as has already been said) My only DI that doesn't either sound fizzy or mucky. A great staring point for any tone.
It is a "clean" pre, but distorts/limits nicely when pushed hard. Different character than my APIs but just as useful. I normally use mine on my overheads (rode nt1a or mxl 603s) and on some vox. Overall impression is that its pretty damn flat with a touch more "air" than most pres. I also agree it can get slightly noisy at higher gain settings, but that has never been a problem per se. Everyone should own at least one....
Old 11th July 2006
Lives for gear

From the reviews I read, I had high expectations for the RNP. It may be that I'm still in the learning stages of a new software sequencer, but I was dissappointed with it. I kept my RNC but departed with the preamp. I liked how it was set-up to balance the RNC and also if a guitar was plugged in the DI it automatically became active, but hated the 6 db gain with no trim.
The main thing I found was that it didn't give my vocals a good tone; perhaps for other people it may be just right.
Old 11th July 2006
Lives for gear

I dig my RNP. We can spend all day focusing on what it's not (full of color/character, fancy looking, $2,000), but I'd prefer to focus on the positives:

1) It has excellent transient response
2) The DI is suberb -- it really allows clean guitars to "breath"
3) It has a clear, open sound
4) It's compact
5) It's a great value
6) It tends to make inexpensive mics sound more expensive (SM57 and e604 come to mind)

Given FMR's straightforward approach to marketing their products, the RNP represents truth in advertising.

-Synth80s
Old 11th July 2006
Lives for gear

Sat in my rack with plenty of great pres from API, GR, Chandler...etc. Eventually, I downsized and it went with several other great pieces. I'd say it held its own for an affordable utility pre. There isn't anything I've heard in that per channel price range that betters the functionality and sonics. I think of it as maybe the best "first decent pre that's gonna work pretty great on whatever" out there. Eventually, you hope to afford a variety of pres with more specfic characters and uses... or you're like me and you just kept the API's.

cheers,
Old 11th July 2006
Gear Maniac

I was playing around with my RNP last night and compared it to my GR ME-1NV on DI bass and on electric guitar cabinets. For the bass DI application, I chose the RNP. Much more open and it communicated all the excitement of finger noises and fret noises which I like to hear when recording bass. The GR didn't do those things as well. However, on my greenback 4X12 I chose the GR over the RNP for a Steve Vai/Joe Satriani style distorted guitar. The RNP was very good, but the GR seemed to tame the annoying buzzing high end a bit and gave the overall sound a more ballsy drive (I especially liked the GR with the impedence button in and everything else out). The thump of the cabinet was translated (perhaps even emphasized a bit) very well by the GR. I could see myself prefering the RNP on cleaner electric guitar sounds, however. Just my two cents.

Best Regards,

Mike.
Old 27th April 2009
Gear Head

Bringing back an old thread here... I just pulled my RNP out of the closet (he..he) and wanted to use it for talkback, scratch stuff. I plugged it in and all the lights are flashing. Appears to be flashing in sequence. Checked the power supply and it's the correct one. I also tried calling FMR but the line was disconnected. Just wondering if anyone has had this issue before. Haven't tried running audio through it yet since I'm assuming it won't work . Oh yea, I really liked it back when I was using it. Not as sweet as my 500 series preamps though.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search