The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
avalon u5 - ****? Direct Injection & Re-amp Boxes
Old 14th May 2006
Here for the gear

avalon u5 - ****?

I need a new di Box for recording bassguitar/electric upright, sometimes guitar.

Would the avalon u5 be a good decision? I mainly record and play jazz+pop, i would like to use the avalon also live...

Tank you for your answers!
Old 14th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wm2006
I need a new di Box for recording bassguitar/electric upright, sometimes guitar.

Would the avalon u5 be a good decision? I mainly record and play jazz+pop, i would like to use the avalon also live...

Tank you for your answers!
If you are gonna use it live, i would say its definatly reliable and built well...so use it. If it were JUST for recording, then i would tell you to check out a couple other DI's. But yes, for what you will be using it for, i would say its a good choice!
Old 14th May 2006
Gear Guru

I think I am the only one on here that really likes the U5. It will not blow you away, but it just seems to make the bass sit in the mix just right and has always given a very pro sound for me.

Glenn
Old 14th May 2006
Gear Maniac

You're not the only one, I like it too. It doesn't add a lot of character, but will provide a "pro" sound, as been said before. It complements well with my TAB Funkenverk V71s.
Old 14th May 2006
Lives for gear

I really dig the U5 on bass on the 2 curve setting. thumbsup

Great box ! I liked it better than the Germanium DI.
Old 14th May 2006
Lives for gear

There are times Ive thought is was boring, other times its just amazing, but Ive never hated it.

Im glad to have it.
Old 14th May 2006
Lives for gear

I had 2 and found them to be a litttle too clean for my taste. I kind of thought they were the holy grail at first but when I did an A/B with the Demeter, I was a little pissed off. The Demeter sounded so rich and full of harmonic content, that the Avalon sounded 2 dimensional compared to the Demeter. Also, like my 737's, I had to change all the pots after a couple of years.
Old 14th May 2006
Here for the gear

For recording some of imy instruments I need really clean sounds. Which d.i boxes are comparable to the avalon?
Old 14th May 2006
Gear Maniac

The avalon U5 is ok.

I bought a used Eden WT300 for less than the Avalon, and for bass DI, the Eden is amazing. It will get you almost any bass tone you want and gets those very deep bass tones too.
Old 14th May 2006
Here for the gear

better sounding (clean) d.i boxes are also welcome!
Old 14th May 2006
Lives for gear

The Millennia TD-1 sounds great. You can also do some reamping and also comes with a very transparent mic pre and a wonderful EQ.

If you are gonna use it only as a DI maybe it´s too expensive and the U5 will serve you well. In the studio where I used to worked we had 2 U5´s and sounded quite good, specially if you go to a TubeTech CL-1B. That was my Bass recording chain most of the time.
Old 14th May 2006
Gear Guru

I am so glad I am not the only one!!! I feel as I can now come out of the closet about the U5.

Glenn
Old 14th May 2006
Lives for gear

I owned a U5 and wasn't impressed. The Tab V71 now sits on my desk.
Old 14th May 2006

The U5 by itself is pretty clean, but very nice. We've found that instead of coming out of it line level, come out mic level and go to a pre with some hair and the combo is really sweet. We use a BAE or Neve 1073 and it works for us.
Old 14th May 2006
Here for the gear

Mhh, i would use it live straight into a pa. I hope this will sound good.
For electric upright i want a real clean tone, playing bass guitar I will try it with my ebs valve drive.
Has anyone tried the speaker in?

The problem is that i haven't got the ability to test it, if i don't like it i have to send it back...
Old 14th May 2006
Lives for gear

I also have a U5, but if you're looking for something with extra warmth, dimension and harmonics, take a look at A-Design's REDDI. It's a great direct box.
Old 14th May 2006
Lives for gear

Avalon U5 is a colorless DI. I always re amp my bass, so I do like this DI. On its own, I would probably desire something a little more tall, and deep.
www.bluethumbproductions.com
Old 14th May 2006
Gear Maniac

First, the U5 is just fine.... secondly and even more important though is don't start threads with a title like "avalon u5 - ****?" when you don't know jack about the piece. It just looks bad and is the kind of thing that makes most manufactures REALLY pissed off.
Old 14th May 2006
Gear Maniac

u5 is cool - has alot of features most other DIs don't have. Good to have in addition to another more colored DI.

cd
Old 14th May 2006
Gear Nut

A second vote for the Millennia TD-1 here. I had the Avalon U5 for a couple years, and it's a nice piece of gear and works well, but the Millennia is the only DI I've ever plugged into that made me think "wow"! The Avalon was good and clean, but nothing exciting. The TD-1 is great -- still clean, but using the tube just adds a little extra sheen and detail that sounds tremendous for what I like to hear.
Old 14th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
For recording some of imy instruments I need really clean sounds. Which d.i boxes are comparable to the avalon?
Quote:
better sounding (clean) d.i boxes are also welcome!
Radial JDV Mk3, although it can't be used as an instrument preamp like the Avalon. It's a unity gain active DI box so it will definitely need a mic preamp after it.
Old 15th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Thumbs up on the U5!
Old 15th May 2006
Old 15th May 2006
Gear Head

sansamp?
Old 15th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
What about this: http://www.uaudio.com/products/analo...10/index.html?

Regards,

Roger
Old 15th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by StudioRhythm
A second vote for the Millennia TD-1 here. I had the Avalon U5 for a couple years, and it's a nice piece of gear and works well, but the Millennia is the only DI I've ever plugged into that made me think "wow"! The Avalon was good and clean, but nothing exciting. The TD-1 is great -- still clean, but using the tube just adds a little extra sheen and detail that sounds tremendous for what I like to hear.
Seems very impressive indeed, but will cost more then the double of a U5...

Regards,

Roger
Old 15th May 2006
Lives for gear

Phoenix Audio Nice DI perhaps?
Old 15th May 2006
Here for the gear

The solo 110 is not cheap. For that price i could buy a great river me-1nv...
Old 15th May 2006
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Starr
Seems very impressive indeed, but will cost more then the double of a U5...

Regards,

Roger
True, it is way too much to pay for a DI, but it's also a micpre/EQ/reamp...etc.

After using both, I feel that the Avalon, while nice, isn't worth the $500-ish it goes for, but I do feel the Millennia is worth its price - go figure...! If on a budget, I'd go with something other than the Avalon and use the money I saved for something else.
Old 15th May 2006
Here for the gear

@StudioRythm: What would you buy, which suits my budget? (500€/$)
According to most bass-guitar forums, the u5 is the best d.i, here it doesn't seem to be so loved

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search