The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
avalon u5 - ****?
Old 7th October 2006
Lives for gear

I love preset 2 on bass. I have to say that for a live setting I might be tempted to go with something smaller and lighter, though.
Old 7th October 2006
Gear Nut

Luv me some Devlins...

man, i'm a huge fan of the Devlins, know any gear the brothers can't live without, or anything you can tell us about the guys? You don't hear too much about them.
They have always had great albums with great engineers.

Thanks,
michael bliss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neveboy View Post
I toured the US last year as front of house engineer for Irish band the Devlins.

On the first gig, the house guy had a U5 which I opted to try over using the BSS we had brought with us to save on space.

The minute the gig was over, we hopped onto the bus, found the nearest Sam Ash and used it on every date of the tour therafter.

I've been loving my U5 and using it for any live or studio gig ever since.

Live, the U5 using the 2 preset has always delivered for bass. I found any of the presets too much for acoustics so I prefer running it flat for them.

It has good presence without the eq curves and preset 2, with bass, always gave me a beautiful low mid hump.

I do find in studio, it needs a little help, but as mentioned in another post, run it through a preamp using the mic level output and you'll be pleasantly surprised.

My personal pre chioce is a Neve 3415 class A/B module I racked. Works a treat with my U5.

Old 7th October 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaza View Post
U...stay away from a 737 on bass, its sounds great by itself but gets lost in a studio mix everytime.
I have not found that.

Frankly, it makes me wonder what the heck you do with your mixes if a 737 on bass gets lost in them!
Old 8th October 2006
Gear Head

I use the U5 in conjunction with an Eden WT800. I the U5 provides a lot of the roundness of the bass tone, bost most of the actual character of the instrument comes from the Eden.

Alex
Old 8th October 2006
Gear Addict

Love my U5's. I have always used it with API, Portico pre and usually a compressor with some color as well but I get that sound and the EQ curves are cool. Usually one of the settings is what I am after.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search