The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
avalon u5 - ****?
Old 15th May 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I think Prince uses the U5 to record his bass and even guitar...

Regards,

Roger
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by wm2006
@StudioRythm: What would you buy, which suits my budget? (500€/$)
I'd probably go with the Radial JDI -- I've used it on electric bass, and it sounded good and seems to be built well. I don't know if it's what you're looking for in your live rig, though, since it's not a rack-mount and it's just a DI, not a preamp. But if it works for you, it'll sound good and save you some money (it's under $200).

Quote:
According to most bass-guitar forums, the u5 is the best d.i, here it doesn't seem to be so loved
I think it's good, just a little expensive for what it is, considering that the EQ is not very useful in my opinion (it's all presets, and many are fairly radical mid-cuts).

I do think it's the best looking DI...!
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Has the radial got a speaker in? I'd like to use a tube head with the d.i box...
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Has the radial got a speaker in? I'd like to use a tube head with the d.i box...
I don't think so; if you're looking to run a post-power amp signal into the DI, I don't think you have too many options. The Millenia and Avalon both can do it, but I'm not sure what else will.
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
speaker in would be fine, want to use an ampeg svt with the d.i ....
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
speaker in would be fine, want to use a ampeg svt with the d.i ....
Right, speaker in means after the power amp, unless I'm misunderstanding what you want. You want to record the sound of the preamp and power amp from the SVT without recording a cabinet, right?
Old 16th May 2006 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
For recording and live i would mainly use the avalon without anything! Playing live i would want to use an ampeg svt and have the complete sound without using a mic.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
lol......great thread name. heh

i'm not sure if it's **** or not though
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
We've got a number of DIs for bass. Most bass players prefer the U5. It's relatively clean but smooths the bass out nicely. Our usual chain is U5 to a Distressor.thumbsup

We also like the Phoenix DI for bass.
Deleted User
I picked up my U5 from Guitar Center used about a month ago for $299 (I dont think they knew what they had) and I love it. Sometimes I run just the line out into Pro Tools, sometimes I also feed the mic level out into one of my SCA N72 pres and it is great. I find the Tone section to be very useful and they are typically curves that I use while EQing a bass in the mix. I love preset 3 for rock bass.

I use the U5 for bass, guitar, synths, etc and love it. I do not think there is a more flexible DI out there as far as it sounding great on everything and the flexibility of its routing.

Thumbs up from me. thumbsup
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
K, I have just ordered it! I'll tell you if I like it, but I'm sure I will!
I used to really dig the U5 until i heard the DI in the germ... now it sounds like the input on a digi 001 to me... flat and lifeless

chandler germanium uber alles
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
In a way I don't get the U5 thing, why getting that instead of a good MicPre with an instrument input like for instance a Focusrite Producers Pack or an Avalon SP737? Wouldn't that have the same result and more?

Regards,

Roger
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Avalon costs 490$, cheaper than avalon 737+speaker in+useless eq heh

Would you take a 737 with you touring? Do you want to sell you 001?

@3rd world: nice german, sounds like a real one
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Starr
In a way I don't get the U5 thing, why getting that instead of a good MicPre with an instrument input like for instance a Focusrite Producers Pack or an Avalon SP737? Wouldn't that have the same result and more?

Regards,

Roger
I think the answer is mostly price. The U5 is Avalon's 'DI-only' equivalent of the M5 single-channel pre - but at less than half the RRP. So if a unit is primarily going to do service as a DI, it's much cheaper to go a U5.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSky
I think the answer is mostly price. The U5 is Avalon's 'DI-only' equivalent of the M5 single-channel pre - but at less than half the RRP. So if a unit is primarily going to do service as a DI, it's much cheaper to go a U5.
OK, so if you're looking for something more versatile, that is besides recording guitar or bass especially vocals etc., you're much better of getting the Producers Pack, the 737 or that Millennium thing? All in the same price league more or less...

Regards,

Roger
Old 19th May 2006 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
My avalon u5 hast arrived a few hours ago!

I'm very happy with it
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
IΒ΄m glad to hear you like it. thumbsup
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I like it on bass also.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
GrooveTubes--The Brick?

For those looking for what the U5 does, but wish to have more color, warmth, beef, etc., and still stay near the same price, wouldn't Groove Tubes's "The Brick" be a descent choice?
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
For those looking for what the U5 does, but wish to have more color, warmth, beef, etc., and still stay near the same price, wouldn't Groove Tubes's "The Brick" be a descent choice?
No! The avalon is a clean d.i box, the groove tube manipulates the signal. Is this better? It's different!
Old 6th October 2006 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Sorry to dig up the past on ya but this is my chain...

fender p/sansamp rbi/avalon u5/api 312/distressor/mytek 8x96 =kickass and round...

sounds like an svt on a 8x10!
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Absolutely not.

the U5 is one of the deepest DIs, that just sits right in a busy mix. With the filter knob you can tune it for a specific bass's weaknesses, if need be.

The Brick is pure molasses. Which is fine if that's what you want, although the RedDI, IMO, eats it alive in that scenario.

Lots of mic pres have killer DIs...but, at the 4-500 price range, I think the U5 is king. If you want throaty and warm, but less deep--the RedDI, for a few hundred more is the ticket--or the Solo610-which will serve as a decent mic pre, too. Do keep in mind that the RedDI has no pass thru for an amp--the U5 does. It will also output true line level.

I didn't care for the Tab at all. I could see where if you're doing rock it was a cool sound, but for me, it was too fuzzy.

Based on what I've gotten running other passive DIs into an Hv3, I'd imagine the TD1 would rock--and serve a lot more purpose in the studio. But, again--you've jumped a serious price class.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I have a King Mortone upright bass with a K&K rockabilly pickup system/preamp feeding the U5 which splits the signal to bass amp & PA. It sounded thunderous on the low end and for some reason seemed more controlled than if I fed the PA from the XLR out on my bass amp (Fender 400Pro). I think I just spoiled myself and need to get the rack adapter kit for the U5. Found that for ~$55 from BSW. The U5 makes recording bass easier than ever for me...I'm glad I got mine ...thumbsup
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
U-5's/Luv em'

I've used a pair for 3 yrs. or so and think they're great!
I've had a few clients go out and buy one after recording here.

When I first got them I took them to another studio and had a couple of
fellow slutz come do a little listening test, and call it what you may, but...
all of them had at least one within the month.

Sure I have great DI's on diff. mic-pre's but that doesn't negate usefullness of the U-5.
U-5=great sounding tool.
Old 6th October 2006
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The Avalon U5 is definately a good di box. It has tone control knob which lets you shape out the sound of your bass. With a nice compressor on that chain you'll be set.There's also the Groove Tube's brick. That is also pretty good.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
U5 is great on all DI stuff, BUT Joe Meek VC3 is killer on active bass ONLY !!!, stay away from a 737 on bass, its sounds great by itself but gets lost in a studio mix everytime. I hate the 737.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
U5 = pretty much blah to my ears, sorry.
I toured the US last year as front of house engineer for Irish band the Devlins.

On the first gig, the house guy had a U5 which I opted to try over using the BSS we had brought with us to save on space.

The minute the gig was over, we hopped onto the bus, found the nearest Sam Ash and used it on every date of the tour therafter.

I've been loving my U5 and using it for any live or studio gig ever since.

Live, the U5 using the 2 preset has always delivered for bass. I found any of the presets too much for acoustics so I prefer running it flat for them.

It has good presence without the eq curves and preset 2, with bass, always gave me a beautiful low mid hump.

I do find in studio, it needs a little help, but as mentioned in another post, run it through a preamp using the mic level output and you'll be pleasantly surprised.

My personal pre chioce is a Neve 3415 class A/B module I racked. Works a treat with my U5.

Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I use a U5 live as a DI for both my acoustic and electric basses. I run the U5 w/ a walter woods amp for upright and into a eden amp for electric. For recording upright I totally dig the clean sound and run it mic level into a diy neve pre for more color but I don't use it much recording electric bass. It also sounds incredible with acoustic guitar and cello... cello in particular.
πŸ“ Reply