The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Studio/rehearsal room connection headache
Old 2nd March 2012
Here for the gear

Studio/rehearsal room connection headache

Hello, world!

I need some help in solving an issue.

I'm in a band that rehearses using a Yamaha MG32/14 with a normal PA system, some outboard gear and (for some of us) a Furman in-ear monitor system. Nothing special so far. We just moved into a new rehearsing space that we struggled to transform into a rather good recording studio facility. Of course, now we'd like to be able to record using a soundcard, a Mac and the proper software. The idea is that our mixer does not have direct outputs on each channel, and here we are. What can we do so we won't be forced to have everything taken out from the mixer and inserted in the DAW interface? Is there some kind of a splitter to take in all the mics we use and send each one to the mixer and also to the "studio recording" section? We would basically want to do both things (rehearsing like on stage and recording) without all the hassle of connecting and disconecting 30 cables from the mixer?
Thanks for your advice!
Old 2nd March 2012
Gear Head

A splitter is what you want, check this out for some info:

http://whirlwindusa.com/support/tech...one-splitters/
Old 2nd March 2012
Here for the gear

You can use your insert i/o instead of direct outs, by shorting the tip and ring terminals to make sure the signal returns to the mixer for monitoring etc.. It is not the best way to do it, but certainly saves money.
Old 2nd March 2012
Here for the gear

Oh, well, this area is totally new to me. May I please ask you for some direct suggestions? As in products to be bought in stores or on ebay? I'd go for the double snake thing, it seems the most suitable for my needs, but I'll dig deeper into it. 32 channels, each splitted into two, this is what I have in mind. Any suggestions? Brands, maybe? I don't have any bank to break for this, but I won't go for the cheapest things around either. Not only because I was talking about recording, but also because I like to have above average quality things.
Thanks for your assistance, Slutz! If you'll ever have any questions on drums, cymbals, drum mics or iems, I'm here!
Old 2nd March 2012
Lives for gear

How do you record now? Mixer 2-bus out to tape?
Old 3rd March 2012
Here for the gear

That's the problem, I wanted to do it but I quit when I realised I have to move the things around and take all the cables out and then in again... And then I came home and asked you people to help. I will probably do it these days like this, but just until I find the proper splitter. Any suggestions will be heartly appreciated!
Old 3rd March 2012
Lives for gear

Well, the options seem to be:

1. Upgrade the board to one with direct outs.
2. Invest in some kind of splitter system( snake or individual, etc)
3. Get the boards insert jacks modified to provide direct outs
4. If you have an interface that has the capability, bring your xlr's directly to the interface and patch the interface outputs to the pa mixer. (I have an ART Tubefire 8 that I have done this with for live recording. Essentially using the interface as a splitter)
5. Just record the live stereo mix from the board into two tracks. You can always dub in extra tracks afterwards.

Probably some other creative solutions that I am not thinking of right now.
Old 4th March 2012
Here for the gear

Thanks for your answer, NYCruiser. I'd go for option no. 2. I will do some research to check as many possibilities as I can. In the meantime, any other input on this will be highly appreciated, especially examples of equipments suitable for my needs. Thank you, people!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search